MetroStars now Red Bull New York

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Mar 9, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Red Bull New York

For the first time, an owner in another league has purchased a sister team in MLS.

Chivas doesnt count, of course, as it was meant to be a 'farm team'... tho subsequent record shot that concept to shreds, it STILL doesnt count.

And this scant weeks after AEG was forced by Mexican President Vincente Fox's agents to change the name of Houston's team because 'mexicans would be annoyed by the mention of '1836'.

I hope that Austrian MLS team beats the snot out of that Mexican MLS team every freakin game! Latest News on it

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I was reading this, Red Bull New York, over the last couple of days and thought it was just 'blog rumor' but now I see that all ofthe Metrostars fans really did have something to worry about!

I cannot believe that they will be called Red Bull New York...this is not good for the MLS in general, as it won't help with non-soccer fans to take the sport seriously. What kind of tradition can they build when their team name is a CORPORATION.

Petty, my head hurts.

3. pettyfog

Well... what about Chivas?

And, think about it... it's no worse than the Sponsors kicking the club names off the English Leagues' shirts.
    And have you ever heard of B**** Leverkeusen? Or PSV Eindhoven?

Nah, that doesnt bother me.... and this will help MLS get a little more recognition as a proper 1st division league.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Of course there's a lot of gnashing of teeth... and the Salzburg fans' experiences show that RB isnt exactly 'sensitive' to fans emotions.

Bottom line, though... The name MetroStars, not to mention NY/NJ, was clumsy. Fans will get over it, the test will lie in how the club is run.

4. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

the nickname hardly matters other thant the fact that its ridiculous...

Metrostars was equally as dumb as everyone in the area is aware that you can hardly see any stars in a metro area, especially that metro area.

5. americanmike

I do agree with you both there, I NEVER liked the name Metrostars.

6. rumstove

rumstove New Member

red bull is slowly taking over the world by sticking it's name on everything...an MLS team, not one but two Formula 1 racing teams (with American Scott Speed driving one car), and in 2007 Red Bull will enter NASCAR with Toyota.

7. americanmike

Rumstove,
    Don't forget the Red Bull Air Show they have now...which was a one time show and now it has turned into a giant circuit. Every plane MUST have the logo on it...

www.redbullairrace.com

8. pettyfog

Well, just remember another brand associated with NY....

SNAPPLE!

I liked Snapple... while everyone I've talked to that's tried Red Bull says it tastes terrible. Not saying that's conclusive or anything but I have to wonder about the brand's staying power, thus its {over?}-investment in such.

9. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Re: RE: MetroStars now Red Bull New York

I didn't even know about that one. Looking around their site I also found the Red Bull Drenaje, the "first freestyle BMX urban event to be carried out in actual drains." mmm...

10. pettyfog

11. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Can you imagine if McDonalds bought Fulham and we had to sing, " you are my mcdonalds, my only mcdonalds, you make me happy when skies are grey....." or "ronald mcdonald's blahwhiarmy...ronald mcdonald's blahwhiarmy"