Memorial Day 2009

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, May 25, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here in Tim and Bob Land, this is the first of three annual extended band family get-togethers: swim, play music, eat mountains of smoked ribs, BBQ chicken and sausage, and tasty go withs -- perhaps even indulge in an adult beverage or two. Up at 6; unfurled the flag at 6:30. Just about ready to put the ribs in the smoker for the next 7 hours or so.

Wherever you are today and whatever you do today, take a moment or two to lift a glass or render a salute to the men and women in uniform who have given their lives on the battlefield for each of us. Although those of us who survived our battlefield experiences will get a lot of salutes today, we know that today is all about those who did not.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

In serving the purpose of the day, some of us are luckier than others. When I was young, like most it was just a holiday to me. My family lineage has just one loss: Brent Turner, USMC in Vietnam.

My uncle Milton Turner survived the European and Pacific Theaters, 42-45, and a brief capture by the Japanese, his brother, Brent's father, served in Merchant Marine in the Atlantic.
    My naval enlistment was up in 63 and I was placed in the manpower reserve pool but never called. One of my brothers was in Korea for the duration of his draft enlistment, and our younger brother served in Vietnam.
    My wife's brother died in a car accident just weeks after returning from Vietnam, an all too common occurrence. Also lost a friend in the same situation.

So, as I say, my family has been lucky and I choose to salute The Five Sullivan Brothers who all died when the cruiser Juneau was sunk by the Japanese navy.
    While their story isnt well known, it was one of the few pieces of lore that I was taught in boot camp, and it was the plot premise for the movie Saving Private Ryan.
    A special salute to the surviving Sullivan family who bore the terrible burden and continued to sacrifice for their country.

3. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

As a Brit who wasnt old enough to get called up I just have the memory of knowing that my father served in the second world war along with both my grandfathers, my fathers father was captuered by the Japenese and escaped my mothers father was awarded the DCM in WW1 and I have all of their medals now with me in TN. Im very proud of my heritage and have the upmost admiration for all the troops throughout the world who cant be home today with their famalies like we are, like Don said I will raise my glass to each and everyone of those and hope they return home safely soon.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I grew up watching WWII movies, and one of my favorites was The Sullivans, a dramatization of the brothers that Pettyfog references. Here's a link to the movie, in case you're interested.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037323/

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Thanks all.

My old man organized a pretty kickass parade in his town, and rememberance was had by all. As well as a few hot dogs. about 35 veterans were honored for their sacrifice, including one British soldier in his 80s from WWII.