Media Celebs and unlikely actors

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jan 10, 2005.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Been house-dogsitting this weekend at my sons house and watched a lot of not-so-great movies... and I'm gonna comment on what struck me as to impressions.

Gossip diva looking for a home:
    Jennifer Lopez - wow, this lady has it going all downhill from this point, with one exception. She is a good actress.
    She has lost "the look", people mature, after all, and the freshness is gone - though not as hopeless as Cameron Diaz' face (ALready hard to remember Diaz' name), her generous "booty" is gonna keep her out of the Romantic lead mold seen in the Wedding Planner and Maid in Manhattan.

Cher was a good example too.. but I dont think JayLo has the same options. Her forte, should she lose the ego, would be in supporting roles.. she can carry them.

Action Star from no-where:
    Well, relatively speaking. Vin Diesel
    This guy amazes me. Every flick I see he's featured, I expect to finally see him revert to vonDamme / S Seagal sort of crapola. I saw two on Starz this WE:
    Knockaround Guys and Man apart.. and he was excellent in both. He made potboilers into passable cinema.
    He could remake Rocky and make you believe it wasnt a fairy tale.
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Where NOW, Eddie?

Eddie Murphy in "Daddy Day Care":
    A feel-good, but more watchable than you might think... Though Murphy made sure that the only ones who might upstage him would be the toddlers.
    His movie side-kick was Norm - but not played by George Wendt. And he directed down Anjelica Huston into a 2 dimensional cutout.

I think Murphy had better bite the bullet and take supporting roles as well. There's only so many odd plots; Shrek, Nutty Prof and Dr Doolittle's to go around.
    Note that he's filming Daddy Day Camp and Shrek 3 plus an untitled...

Well, I thought he was a goner after Beverly Hills Cop/ 48 hours sequel 6.. so maybe I' m wrong

2. cdubbs

cdubbs New Member

I have still never seen a Van Diesel movie, and the only J-Lo movie I saw, was the one were her husband hits her and she takes secret boxing lessons, then beats the crap out of him. I would say she is a better actor than singer.

Most interesting are your points about Eddie Murphy- after Beverly Hills Cop and SNL he was raking in the dough and the accolades, now he does those odd plot films. He does seem to have a knack for finding roles that generate lots of box office, so maybe he has a shrewd manager.

3. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Poor old Eddie, used to be THE man.

Was it the transvestite prostitute that screwed up his career, or the fact that he doesnt do stand up anymore... I wish he would, he was one of the greatest for a decade.

4. cdubbs

cdubbs New Member

Yeah RAW was real good. I have no idea what happened to his career.

He must still be raking in the cash though for all his voice work.