McCain VP???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Mar 5, 2008.

?

Who Should McCain Choose?

1. Gov. Crist [FL]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Gov. Pawlenty [MN]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Gov. Perry [TX]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Gov Barbour [MS]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sen. Graham [SC]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Gov. Sanford [SC]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Former Rep Portman [OH]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sen. Leiberman [CT]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Someone {or Anyone} Else

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Why is everyone saying he'll need a conservative running mate. The conservatives will vote for him regardless of who his running mate is becaues it's not like Hillary or Obama are more conservative than McCain.

He needs a running mate that can compete for some of Hillary or Obamas vote, therefore, it should be somebody who is a minority or a women, or just Condi like FFC mentioned, that would be a solid pick...foreign affairs experience, a women, and a minority...wow that's like killing 1, 2, 3 birds with one stone.

Or just have McGod run with McCain...that would make me happy.

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

bearzfan4lfe - sorry, but there are a LOT of GOP Conservatives who are asking themselves "Clinton, McCain - what's the difference?" Without a Conservative VP to help bring them out to vote, we may see the lowest GOP voter turnout (proportionally) since WWII. This could mean that not only would the Dems win all of the "swing states", but would pick up a few others as well.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't believe any of "Clinton, McCain -- what's the difference." I think it's just the hectoring of the talk radio, bloggers, and Fox News punditry. And I don't think any of them are going to vote for Hillary should she get the nomination. Among people on the right, I think Hillary is still up there in the top-10 hated list along with Al Gore, Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, and that Saudi guy who's irrelevant now. They may not like McCain, but they're NOT going to stay home so that Hillary can get elected.

McCain will win. I just hope he doesn't pick Rick Perry as a VP. "The Haircut" is more vapid and less substantial than the guy he replaced as Texas governor.

4. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

It's a very good point Andy, but I just think that most people are mistaken when they think the turnout for the primary will be directly proportionate to the turnout for the general election as far as the GOP is concerned.

In my very unexperienced and young opinion I think that the general election will see the opposite where the GOP turns out in bigger numbers after finally being engaged into a real race while much of the Democratic party will be tired of the politics and not turn out with as much support as they showed during the primaries.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I think Pawlenty would be an excellent choice.

However, McCain/Pawlenty doesn't have a very good ring to it. Doesn't roll off the tongue like Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton does.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Oh, Senator, you want a ticket that rolls off the tongue, how about:

Dimitar Berbatov/Papa Bouba Diop -- sounds like a solid bass guitar riff! 8)

7. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Don. Most of my friends are Conservative Republicans; most of them are willing to let the Dems have this election so that Romney can win in 4 years. This is not blogger or talk-show talk, but water-cooler and church hallway talk.

As distateful as it might be to them to have Hillary in office, actively supporting McCain, even to keep her out of office, is more than many of them are willing to do. They figure they can at least go through the next four years with clean hands.

8. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Clean hands??? What do you mean by this, Andy???

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

He means "Without Carter, there'd have been no Reagan."

I dont agree with 'letting the sh*t hit the fan', though.

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

clean hands - imagine the bumper sticker "Don't blame me, I didn't vote for him/her"

Pettyfog's quote is pretty good, too.

Arguably, though, as bad as Dubya's popularity ratings are, its arguable if ANY Republican could win the next election; might as well be a RINO who takes one for the team.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's what I don't get: the president has created massive deficits and a huge controlling government. No administration has been more intrusive in the states' business in education and law enforcement. And yet HE's "the Conservative" and John McCain is the "RINO."

The right has plenty of guts and heart. I'm afraid it doesn't have much of a brain, though.

12. pettyfog

Well, YEAH Don... Bush IS sort of a RINO... no more a Conservative than McCain is.

The Pharma bill
    The 'Reach Out' to Teddy.. though it did prove something.
    the Amnesty Bill
    HArriet Miers

But I think Both Dubya and McCain learned something.

13. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I think his running mate will be Lance Armstrong

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

three pages and only eight entries into the poll. Come on people; work with me here.

15. pettyfog

I want someone, of course, but nunna those.

16. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Don. For all of his faults (and I am definitely not a Dubya fan), Bush Jr. is at least a social conservative; McCain is not even that.

Part of the overall problem in American politics right now is that the breadth of issues is blurring the line between Conservative and Liberal. Before it was Big Government vs Small Government and then the Social issues; there are now many variations on the "Government" aspect, as well as issues like Foreign Policy, Immigration, Health Care, Gas Prices, and anti-terrorism methodology. There really isn't a cut-and-dried definition for "Conservative" or "Liberal" anymore.

Heck, I am forced to consider myself a "Conservative Democrat." I'm socially conservative but tend more moderate to liberal on the other issues. Which party do I pick!?

Still, as most voters vote with their hearts, I think the social aspect is still the primary litmus test for candidates. In that regards, McCain fails for most Republicans.

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

How about Senator Phil Gramm? Any thoughts?

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Phil Gramm of TEXAS? Yes, here's my thought: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    Why? Let me say that it is so nice to have two Texans in the US Senate. While Gramm was still around, we had one senator and one full-time fundraiser for the RNC.

Gramm really paid very little attention to anything other than raising funds and trying to make everyone beholden to him by doing so. Best thing for the country? It didn't get him on the presidential ticket like he wanted.

Best non-Texan reason against Phil Gramm: he's got to be as old as McCain [as a matter of fact, I thought he was dead], and Texas isn't Southern enough to balance his ticket.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Not my first choice, but I was wondering what you thought of the guy...my ears are close to the ground as can be...and that's the latest speculation. I hope it's not to be.

20. pettyfog

Unfortunately, we need a conservative governor who knows some economics.

They've all been long retired or dead