McCain VP???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Mar 5, 2008.

?

Who Should McCain Choose?

1. Gov. Crist [FL]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Gov. Pawlenty [MN]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Gov. Perry [TX]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Gov Barbour [MS]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sen. Graham [SC]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Gov. Sanford [SC]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Former Rep Portman [OH]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sen. Leiberman [CT]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Someone {or Anyone} Else

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, now that Senator McCain has become "the presumptive Republican candidate," it's time for him to choose a running mate. This article sums up where we are right now:

Link
    The article leads with Colin Powell and mentions Texas senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson, but says that neither is interested in the job. I believe them both, and I think that, in Powell, they'd gain little. If McCain's biggest negative is his age (71), why pick a 70-year-old for the 2nd position?

This poll includes those mentioned in the article, one I've added myself, and a "somebody else" option. If you pick the last option, please say who you think that somebody else should be.

Thanks for playing.

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

It'll be Huckabee.

3. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

I would love for it to be Powell, but I'm afraid Andy is right, in the fact that it will at least be Huckabee before Powell.

But a ticket with McCain and Powell would beat either democratic candidate, so we'll have to see just how important the Republican party is to Powell.

4. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Uh oh, now we'll see how upset you truely made him Don...

5. jmh

jmh New Member

I think it's going to be Pettyfog.

6. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Outstanding.

7. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Powell is too old and there is no way he'd accept. The man has too much integrity to put his family through the press scrutiny.

8. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Put the Minnesotan in there.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'm with Spencer on Pawlenty and I've heard some rumors that it will most likely be him.

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Condi??

11. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Where's Jeb? If Hillary is in there?

12. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Crist endorsed McCain while he was in Florida, I know that much, but I seriously doubt McCain'll tap him as his running mate.

Jeb is highly unlikely to run for anything in the near future, I reckon.

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

He needs somebody to pander to the conservative base. Huckabee fits this. He is considered too independent and with somebody like Huckabee or another conservative he can energize the base along with the middle. If he picks somebody independent like himself, watch the Conservative base bounce off walls.

14. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Yeah... and that's why Condi isnt such a good idea right now. Her Rep has been soiled badly with her latest middle eastern rounds, which look pretty much like a desperate attempt at last ditch 'Overtures at appeasement'.
    Take that along with her inability to root out ANY of the 'go along to get along' desk occupiers at state.. I'm disappointed in her.

Huckabee, WHY? Analyse him. He's a Social Conservative ONLY. Romney's the ONLY guy who could fill the bill needed. But, that's not likely.

We need someone with the Rep of Polar Opposite, who can give an inspiring speech and who throws some 'color' AND strong values into the mix.

If we have to drag him kicking and screaming... JC Watts! He'd step up. But that's not likely either.

The only thing that upsets me is Don stuck Lindsay Graham in there. He's more a RINO than McCain by far... might as well be Lieberman... and if we're going that far, why not Harold Ford?

Much as I'd like to see Pawlenty, I think he's more valuable where he is. Minnesota seems to have been 'An Experiment in trying out political frames', lately, and I think dragging him away before he establishes conservatives roots to contend with DFL would be a mistake.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I stuck Lindsay Graham in there because ... like all the others except for Lieberman ... he was specifically mentioned in the article. Of those mentioned in the article, the one who makes the most sense demographically is Governor Sanford of SC. McCain is from one Republican stronghold -- American west -- and a VP candidate from another stronghold -- American south -- would seem logical. What would also seem logical is to pick a governor. I don't really see either candidate picking a fellow senator as a VP candidate. Winning the election would mean the loss of two senate seats right off the bat.

And, thanks for fixing my poll, 'fog. THAT's what the quote was referring to.

16. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

Someone 'round these parts mentioned Sonny Perdue and I almost threw up in my mouth.

Not that I would ever vote for McCain anyway...

17. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

I'm not the biggetst fan of Barbour, being from MS. But, it would certainlyhelp in getting the southern votes that he might need.

18. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Uh, no thank you ... I'd thought they {MS Administration} were a little more enlightened than a lot of recent news stories have exposed. Too much baggage. He might not even bring in the GA or Carolina conservatives.

19. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

And I wouldn't mind having him out of office. I will say, he did an excellent job handling Katrina. You didn't hear he complaining from Mississippi like you did from New Orleans. Other than that though, not sure what he's done for the state.

20. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Nahh. Actually our last Dem gov left office 17 years ago. Pawlenty is popular but not a transformative type. The states pretty well set. North and the city(s) vote DFL, the south and burbs vote Republican. He's into his second term and is bogged down by the heavy DFL legislature so he should leave if he gets the chance. I actually think were he to become a prominent national figure that would give Minnesota more of a Republican identity than were he to stay and try and do it from here.