McBride to return to Columbus Crew? {ummm .. no! -ed}

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by FulhamCMH, Jan 10, 2007.

1. FulhamCMH

FulhamCMH New Member

Edit: My bad, someone already posted this in the "winter window" thread. But here's the full article if interested...

Some rumor material from today's Columbus Dispatch (or "Disgrace" as pettyfog will probably call it :D )

Crew wants McBride back in Columbus
    Wednesday, January 10, 2007
    Shawn Mitchell
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

The Crew has been in negotiations to bring former captain Brian McBride back to Columbus when his contract with English club Fulham FC expires at the end of May.

The Crew named McBride its designated player under the "Beckham rule," a new rule that allows a Major League Soccer team to sign one free agent whose salary will not count against the salary cap.

McBride is in the prime of a career bordering on legendary, at least by American standards. He leads Fulham with six goals in 22 games and has scored 25 times in the Premiership since January 2004, solidifying his reputation as one of the world’s most tenacious strikers.

There are signs, though, that point toward the end of the road.

After 13 years, 30 goals and 95 games with the U.S. national team, McBride, 34, announced his retirement from international play in July. He has made no secret of his desire to finish his career in MLS, the league that made him a star as its first draft pick in 1996 and where, at least in Columbus, his name is synonymous with soccer.

"I don’t think Brian has forgotten what Columbus has contributed to his career, and that certainly factors into things," said his brother and agent, Matt, who represents McBride in the United States.

The Beckham rule allows MLS clubs to offer much more money to top free agents than they previously could. The league pays the first $400,000 of the designated player’s salary, with the club responsible for the rest.

In McBride’s case, that amount would be substantial. His current salary is worth up to $2 million. Fulham FC wants to re-sign its top forward and has deeper pockets than the Crew, which reportedly paid veteran defender Frankie Hejduk a base salary of $200,000 last season.

But what could make or break a deal with Columbus is the intensity of McBride’s desire to return to the United States.

McBride was in England and unavailable for comment last night.

"Money is important, but it is not everything," said agent Richard Motzkin, who represents several U.S. nationalteam players but not McBride. "If a guy can make the same or close to what he makes overseas, it’s definitely a factor. But there’s a lot more to consider."

Coach Sigi Schmid met with McBride during a trip to England in December. Schmid had previously exchanged phone calls with McBride, and said McBride seemed appreciative of and receptive to his informal offers to play for Columbus.

Crew general manager Mark McCullers was hesitant to predict whether the Crew’s most prolific player, who played in Columbus until 2003, could return.

"I don’t know if this is going to come to fruition, but Brian is somebody that meets our needs," McCullers said. "This is the best first option for us (to use the designated player slot). I know he is tearing it up at Fulham, and they are not in a position to lose him right now. That’s a team in the top league in the world that values Brian, and that’s some serious competition."

2. Buchanan

Buchanan New Member

RE: McBride to return to Columbus Crew?

Wow, I really have no clue as to where I would prefer him to play. I love Fulham and want him to stay and play for them, but I know if he stays I will never get a chance to watch him play in real life.

3. BC

BC New Member

I'd like to see him at Fulham for a few more years at least. Finishing in Columbus would be great though.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I really dont think it's gonna happen for the Crew.

I WAS sure he'd go to Fire, but less sure he'll play anywhere in MLS, NOW.

5. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

He's doing so well in England and Fulham doesn't want him to leave. Maybe in a few years he'll go back to Columbus as their marquee player.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Oh.. no. If it's a few years, I'd rather he came in in a Fire kit.

We all wished him well when he left, because he couldnt get the service he needed... in a few years he wont be able to handle it when he gets it.

7. Buchanan

Buchanan New Member

8. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

"Former Crew striker Brian McBride has decided to stay with English Premier League club Fulham FC and will not return to Columbus this season, according to sources close to the situation"

Must have been the guy on the official site. ;-)

9. Buchanan

Buchanan New Member

Hmm what do you know, he is staying on Fulham :wink:

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 New Member