Marsh stabs us in the back

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by f'lum, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Not a single American cares that the rest of the world can beat the US national team in basketball. Not many Americans cared that the US didn't win the World baseball tournament. We don't care. If we win, yay, if not we still know were the one true world superpower.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and, Mo, I have to disagree with you. We've been harping on:

a. our loss to the USSR in Olympic basketball for almost 40 years now AND
    b. our Gold Medal in hockey at the Lake Placid Olympics for almost that long.

These two events have almost become an industry of themselves with movies and TV specials.

Martin makes some good points and so do you. "Can't we all just get along?"

3. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I'm not sure you know what I'm talking about. England has only won one World Cup and is racking its brain over why. The average English pundit is saying it is the influx of evil foreigners into the Premier League. I'm saying nothings wrong with England. Greece is the defending European champion and that fact has nothing to do with talent.

England doesnt' seem to want to understand this.

I'm not questioning English pride or skill, simply it's knowledge and intelligence.

4. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Why is that though? Could it be the Cold War? The chant USA, USA, USA didn't even exist until Lake Placid where it was invented. If we really cared, why wasn't it invented much earlier?

Do you really care that Argentina is world champions in basketball?

5. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Yes!

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So do I, but only because two of that championship team play for our championship team down this way.

I'd just as soon see the Olympics returned to amateur status, stripped of all team sports [except for track relays], and banished from ABC, NBC, CBS, & FOX for the next 20 years.

7. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

You certainly should if your an Amercian and as much talent in the NBA

8. Martin-in-Nashville

England may have only won one World Cup but that's more than most counties and I would love nothing more than to win again, Winning is away of life in the UK especially when it's comes to FOOTBALL. as I said Football is a Passion and England is Passionate about a lot of things and I for one will stick up for my country weather right or wrong.

RULE BRITANNIA BABY!!!

9. Lyle

Lyle New Member

England can definitely win it again... but it won't by excluding evil foreigners from its Football Leagues.

10. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

a. was a big deal because the US was robbed and it was against USSR during the cold war

b. was a big deal because US was an uderdog and it was against USSR (and essentially pro players) during the cold war.

Also both were back in the day when the Olympics was amateur, the way it should be.

11. Clevelandmo

It was hard to care when many of the top players refused to play. All it did was confirm in my mind that the US should send amateurs rather than rich self-centered professionals from a league that has increasingly lost the sense of basketball as a team sport. Many of the players cited security concerns as their reason for not going and then we see the Iraqi soccer team air lifted out of Iraq to play in the olympics. I found that embarassing and was almost glad when the US didnt get the gold. It showed that Bball is a team sport and put some pressure on the NBA.

12. Clevelandmo

Martin, you are wrong. Americans certainly have passion in sports. The sports most Americans are passionate about are not international sports. Even though the two bballs have become more international there still are no major international cups like the WC or EC. The result is that people are passionate about the closet pro team or their alma mater. There is no absence of passionate fans at a Notre Dame football game, a high school basketball game in Ill., or a high school football game in Texas.

13. Martin-in-Nashville

I agree there is lots of passion at Notre dame and at other college games but none at International level why? cos you aint no good at International games that's why, No passion to win