March Madness

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Mar 17, 2010.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The Butler did it!! Sorry Syracuse, but the ball isn't a hand granade. Now Butler is one game away from playing in the Final 4 in their hometown, awesome.

Big props to Kentucky's D, smothered Cornell. However, have to give a hand to the Ivys for being down by 16 at half and clawing their way back into the game (down 6 w/5 minutes to go).

K-State and Xavier in a double overtime classic. Was at my thurs. night beer league softball and the entire bar went crazy when the Xavier kid made a 35 footer to force the 2nd ot. K-State showed a lot of grit by finishing it.

2. BarryP

BarryP New Member

A great night of college basketball! Three of the four games as noted by Joe were terrific with the K-State/Xavier match being the cherry on the proverbial cake. Big shot after big shot made by both teams. This is why I love March Madness!

3. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I got a chance to see two great games tonight in person. The Tennessee vs. Ohio State game was great and the Northern Iowa team gave it their all and came up short against Michigan State. I'm not sure I could have witnessed two better games back to back. Luckily I have tickets on Sunday too.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

A sure sign of the apocalypse? Baylor in the Elite Eight :shock:

5. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

That was one dominating, comprehensive beatdown the Baptists gave St Mary's. Their length and the home court should be an edge but you have to wonder how they'll adjust to facing a team like Duke after beating 14 Sam Houston, 11 Old Dom, and 10 St Mary's.

It's a rare day that Baylor dominates the headlines here in Texas.

6. SoCalJoe

Congratulations to Butler, first team since 1972 (UCLA) to play the Final 4 in their hometown. This team has now won 24 games in a row, they are not Cinderella. A very balanced squad that gets after you on defense.

CLANK...The sound of Kentucky shooting. They missed their first 20 three point attempts (finishing 4-32), and they missed 13 FREE THROWS. There is no disputing talent, but freshman will lose composure. Instead of working it inside Kentucky kept building their brickhouse by chucking 3's. West Virginia is a veteran team and it showed.

Michigan State loses their best player, but they are a reflection of their coach and are as tough as they come. The Tennessee game was really good and each team deserved to win. It was too bad the game was ultimately decided by a foul, but it was obvious.

Duke saves CBS' collective arse. Love or hate 'em the Blue Devils move the meter (ratings for the regional final were 30% higher than last year's n the same time slot). Baylor played tough and a very dubious charging foul that could have given the Bears a 5 point lead with 4 minutes to go swung the momentum back to Duke.

7. SoCalJoe

Gotta love Final 4 Saturday. Unusual that there is no clear cut favorite.

Butler and Michigan State: Butler has been in the top 10 or 15 all year so this is no fluke. Michigan State making it without their best player is more surprising. This game will come down to the last 5 minutes. I'm rooting for the Butler, but I think MSU will move on.

Duke and West Virginia: We know which team CBS is praying for. WV is a tough and tested team. Duke's frontline has been dominating the glass. I'm rooting for WV (a Mountaineer win and my bracket is won), but I think the Blue Devils keep on playing.

8. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

With Duke, little Butler, and Izzo getting the pub, WV seems like the forgotten man. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them go by Duke. The only problem is Duke can hit from outside and have a true center, so that may neutralize the zone.

I expect Duke to cut down the nets and me to avoid ESPN like the plague for about a week. I fear for the well-being of my tv if I see Vitale come uncorked after a Duke NC.

9. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Congrats to Butler for making a hometown finals appearance!

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The Butler Did It.

Headline on about 53 newspapers nationwide unless I miss my guess.

11. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

Well I'm in my junior here at Kansas State, I've only missed 1 basketball game in my 3 years here and I was able to go to the first two games in the tournament this year and needless to say I couldn't be happier seeing the Cats in the Elite Eight. It's been so long. What a season!!!

I'll be cheering on Butler in the title game for sure.

And I can't wait to get back into the Octagon of Doom next season.

12. SoCalJoe

Butler and Duke for the title tonight. Butler will have to play much better and Duke will have to play worse than they did on Saturday for the hometown kids to pull it off.

Duke are monsters on the glass and the Bulldogs will have to live up to their namesake.

Key matchups; Mack v Scheyer at the point guard spot. Mack was sick during the game v MSU and HAS to play.

Singler v Heyward; Both team's best player will probably be guarding each other.

**Howard is Butler's best inside player, but he has a knack for picking up fouls. He has to play at least 30 minutes tonight.

Prediction: I'm hoping to be wrong, but Duke will be cutting down the nets.

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I will change my sig to anything you guys want if Duke win. It isn't happening and Butler is gonna crush them!

14. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I am pulling hard for Butler but I am not nearly as confident as 24. I am hoping to see a close game with Butler pulling it out late.

15. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I hate Duke and if Coach K ends up the Lakers coach next year, I will end my 14 years of support temporarily until he is gone.

Congrats to Butler on an amazing season.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It all looked so promising: One NC asshole college basketball machine loses the NCAA championship and one NC asshole college basetball machine loses the NIT.

Either of those last two Hayward shots could have gone in.

And 24, as much as I'd like to see Coach K ruin the Lakers, there's no way he'd do it. It's a lose-lose. He's NEVER coached a player with an ego like Kobe, and he'll never coach a team where a player has more power than any coach.

Oh, I think you should change your signature line to "FORZA INTER"

17. BarryP

BarryP New Member

So close to getting everything I wanted! Great game. I wonder how many of the so called pundits will step up and eat crow about how Butler couldn't compete with Duke and how many will just sweep it under the carpet.

18. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

He coaches the Olympic team, so yes he has coached a player wig an ego. Hell, he's coached an entire team of egos and will do so again in Turkey.

19. SoCalJoe

What a great sporting event (if you don't like that, then look for different ways to entertain yourself). Both teams put everything they had into it. Hats off to the Butler kids for gutting it out and almost pulling off the upset(both shots at the end were dead online but a little long).

** Look for the official change 24's sig thread, coming to a website near you** :shock:

20. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

The ONLY game I watched more than a few minutes of, the whole tournament!!!

I will look back at it as witnessing a wildly successful post season event.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ladies and Germs, we just seen the national introduction of the NEW "Brian Kelly"...

.. or Maybe "Knight/Valvano/K"

And that's the kind of guy I am... to me, that's the MOST interesting part of the tournament.