March Madness

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Mar 4, 2007.

?

Which conference will have the greatest representation in the "Sweet Sixteen?"

1. PAC 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. BIG 12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. BIG 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ACC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. BIG EAST

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. SEC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. CAA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. ATLANTIC 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. MID-AMERICAN

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I cannot believe Ohio State!

Over the season and so far in the tournament, it's as if they only put out the effort they need to win.
    Dont get me wrong, I'm naturally an OSU fan but what I saw thursday was ridiculous. I dont see how they can keep this up and it's why I'd picked them to lose in the second round.

They are now two games overdue.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Make that three, Jim. They were stunning today.

Here's an insight on Odom from a local San Antonio columnist. Enjoy

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/colu ... 8a091.html

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Now, I have no idea on how far OSU will go.

My judgement is maybe no better than my evaluation of the team in the tourney, BUT I think Oden is gonna 're-up', with OSU.
    One of the main reasons I believe that is that Mike Conley, Jr isnt NBA ready. Rmember they've gone through these wars, together, before in high school. Oden appears to like the college experience and he isnt particularly injury prone {when he WAS injured he turned it into an opportunity, learning to shoot and ball handle with his left hand} and I dont think that will enter in a lot.

Plus he may develop some down-court quickness which he certainly doesnt have now.

On the NBA's side is he is already a #1 draft pick... he wont improve on that. What he MAY gain is some control over what team he ends up on.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I had Florida beating OSU in the championship game, so I hope the Luckeyes have 1 more win in them (give them credit, yesterday was their best performance).

My heart is w/the Ducks today, but Florida should wear them down.

Georgetown better play a whole lot better than they did on Friday.

UCLA is as rugged and tough as a team you will see (totally broke Kansas' will), they want another shot at the Gators.

5. krhimself

krhimself New Member

It's official: I got all four of my Final Four teams right! :banana:

What a comeback by Georgetown. They simply owned UNC down the stretch.

6. KentuckyBlue

KentuckyBlue New Member

That comeback left me speechless, 10 down to 10 up just like that. I think Roy Williams must take some of the blame for a scoreless OT, but G-town deserved the win. They're my team from here on out...

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Congrats krhimself! You should get some sort of prize for that.

I only have ever rooted for one team in Carolina blue, and that's the women's soccer team. I LOVE it when they lose. Let's go Hoyas!

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I will definitely be cheering for Georgetown. I will be breaking out my 1985 Starter Georgetown coat this week. I could not believe the comeback. It came out of nowhere. I am pleased though as at least I now have a school I can cheer for in the final four. I am not a fan of the other three at all. Go Georgetown!

9. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I'm with Tom 100% on that. Being a Knick fan and having Patrick Ewing for all of those years, how could I not root for the Hoyas!

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

What a great saturday out here on the left coast. Get to wake up to a 2-1 win by the Whites w/a cup of coffee. Go coach my daughter's team, then take in the national semi-final doubleheader (pulling for UCLA of course).

While Florida is certainly a huge favorite their defense and turnovers are a concern. Oregon had more wide open 3's then could be believed and if the Ducks' mighty-mouse freshman Porter hadn't gone 0-10 in the first 36 minutes it could have been an all Pac-10 semi. UCLA has an excellent chance to win if Josh Shipp has a good shooting game (the Gators will be all over Affalo) leaving Shipp with plenty of looks.

Both OSU and G'Town have pulled games out of the fire (2 each) and the matchup of Oden vs Hibberd is very interesting. The refs will play a huge part, just hoping that they'll let the kids play and not call ticky-tact fouls.

I had this Final 4 (even blind squirrels find acorns once in awhile), with Florida beating OSU ala the BCS game, but a Bruins-Hoyas final wouldn't be a surprise.

11. krhimself

krhimself New Member

The two schools that met in the BCS championship will meet each other in the basketball championship. I can't comment much on the Florida-UCLA because I couldn't be arsed to watch most of it, but I did see the whole of the Ohio State-Georgetown match.

The Oden-Hibbert match-up didn't really materialize until the second half, and instead, Mike Conley Jr stole the show for the Buckeyes. Even though having Oden for more than three minutes in the second half helped, it was Conley who was responsible for the victory. By the way, where was Jeff Green for the Hoyas? I was expecting him to be more assertive on offense sooner or later, but it never happened. I don't know if he was really marked out or what, but his contributions were limited to a string of rebounds.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and then there were two ... . I picked FLA to take it all, but I still am stunned by any side that could dismantle Memphis the way OSU did. I'm really glad I don't bet on sports. Should be good telly!