March Madness

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Mar 4, 2007.

?

Which conference will have the greatest representation in the "Sweet Sixteen?"

1. PAC 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. BIG 12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. BIG 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ACC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. BIG EAST

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. SEC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. CAA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. ATLANTIC 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. MID-AMERICAN

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My concern is that year in and year out UNC and/or Duke get a seed higher than deserved and get to open at home.

This year, only 2 of 65 teams play their opening game in their home state -- Louisville and UNC.

If you don't believe there's favoritism to UNC & Duke, you haven't been paying attention over the years.

2. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I'm pissed Drexel is not in the tourney. Somebody tell me how Stanford is in the tourney? They got trounced by 30+ against Air Force....and Air Force is not in, so how is Stanford in? No way Stanford should be in over Drexel. I don't care about the so called "strength" of the Pac 10 this year or their "true round robin" style of conference play. The bottom line is Drexel has the most road wins of any team in the NCAA and deserves to be in the tourney. Screw that lame ass Princeton Jackass and the rest of the committee.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Omsdogg; no question Drexel should've been in, but every year a mid-major gets left holding the bag. Even being a Pac-10 guy I'll admit Standford was iffy, but Arkansas being 7-9 in conference play should have been going to the NIT.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Here's my problem with Drexel, YES, they did win some nice games on the road. However, they only got fourth place in their little conference. They lost FIVE games in the Colonial Athletic Association. No team from a small conference like that should lose FIVE games and expect to get an at-large bid.

Let's break it down, they beat Villanova and Syracuse on the road. One of those teams did not even make the tournament. The other is a #9 seed.

On the flipside, this team lost games to Rider, William and Effin' Mary as well as Pennsylvania. That is in addition to four other conferences games they lost.

To me, that is NOT an NCAA tournament team. They pissed away their chance in their conference tournament and could not beat their main rivals within the conference during the regular season finishing fourth. This is an NIT team, NOT and NCAA team.

5. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i still disagree...Penn is a tourney team...take that off the list. The losses in conference other then the William & Mary hiccup were against VCU, ODU, and Hofstra...all 20 plus win teams. Stanford lost by 34 at home to Air Force, lost to Santa Clara by 16 at home, and lost to sub .500 Cal at home. Give me a break!!!! Also, Syracuse reaped what they sowed. Take a look at their non-conference schedule...how many times did they go on the road? Once...to crappy Canisius. They can stay home...just like they did all season. Take into account that a majority of Big Conference schools (Michigan State and a few others excluded....one reason why i love Tom Izzo) won't even play mid-majors on the road and you can see the sinking ship teams like Drexel are on just trying to get a bid. also...socaljoe...completely agree about Arkansas...don't even get me started on that!!!

6. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

like i said yesterday...NO WAY is Drexel a Tourney team. :)

7. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The Tourney so far has been horrible. There has been maybe a few good games so far and the upsets that were supposed to happen have turned into big wins for the better teams. UNLV just scraped through though and I think they will win against Wisconsin. They are probably the most underated team in this dance.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

A great upset this afternoon -- Winthrop [where are they from?] over Notre Dame.

Best first round results so far? Texas Tech loses; Duke loses; Maryland wins!

Fear the Turtle; COWY

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Don, Winthrop is from South Carolina. Rock Hill, SC to be specific.

I always think the second round is the best one of the tourney. The first round has some upsets, but more often the upsets happen in the second round. We will see what happens the next two days.

10. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I was in Vegas for the MWC tourney and I have seen UNLV a few times on tv. they are very underrated and will give Wisconsin all they can handle. I picked them to the Elite 8 so i hope they win. I told you Stanford didn't deserve to be in...and like socaljoe said, Arkansas should not have been in either.

VCU was great against Duke, but I don't think they can take down Pitt. They need to create turnovers to have a chance, because I don't think they'll be able to score in the half court against Pitt. The games were better today then Thursday...and should continue to get better hopefully.

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The answer to the poll question...The Pac-10 and The SEC w/3 teams each. The vaunted ACC (sorry Don, the Butler did it) and Big Joke er' Big 10...1 team each (if only Xavier's free throw didn't rattle out).

Grades; 1st round; D-, No upsets, no buzzerbeaters, & lots of blowouts. Should be an F, but Duke lost (that wasn't that great either because they were WAY down this year).

2nd round; A-, Great game after great game, marked down a touch because the final games on Sun. weren't close.

Best Sweet 16 matchups; North Carolina vs USC (not just a football school), Texas A&M vs Memphis (Gillispie is the most underated coach in America), UNLV vs Oregon (a little west coast bias, plus my brother and sister-in-law are Ducks)

Ugliest Game; Pitt vs UCLA (first team to 60 wins)

Biggest ?; Ohio State, my bracket was on its way to the waste basket, when they pulled it out of the fire. Either this near death experience will propel them to the Final 4, or they've been exposed like the rest of their conference.

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Ummmm they were exposed.

Ohio State has been lucky the entire season... finding a way to win , despite.. that's why I picked them to miss the 16... and I came SO CLOSE!

Of course this might have inspired them. Some teams need a near-death experience to come together, could this be one of those.... nah!

I'm looking for Oden to stay another year, BTW. He needs some serious 'finishing' in his technique.
    He reminds me so much of Patrick Ewing.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Beauty comment, SoCalJoe!

those of you who picked the SEC or the PAC10 in the poll deserve an extra pint this evening.

I'm still thinking FLA for it all, although my brother, who is smarter than me in all ways, thinks that Kansas is by far the best team right now.

14. pettyfog

I'd rate Kansas an evens bet right now.

Dark Horse team - Louisville

Now watch Ohio State win it all.

15. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Louisville is a huge dark horse considering they aren't in the tournament anymore...last i checked, no team in history has won the tourney who wasn't in it, so that makes them huge dark horses.

Go Aggies...
    Go Bulldogs...
    Go Vols...
    Go Rebels...

basically, go everyone but Florida.....HATE 'EM!!!

16. KentuckyBlue

KentuckyBlue New Member

Please Chuck Norris, anybody but Florida again. I don't think I could take it.

17. pettyfog

On the Loovull thing.,. heh.. guess I still aint paying attention.

18. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

some great games last night. I can't believe the Acie Law layup....i'm sick!!!! Anyways...hopefully there will be some good games tonight although I'll be watching the Jazz game. My brackets are still alive though...i had UCLA/Kansas in the West, Ohio State (are they playing with fire, or what???)/A&M(although I did have Memphis to the 16...so i missed one...give me a break) in the South....and in the midwest I got Florida/UNLV...although I had them losing in the Elite 8 to Florida...come on Rebs...don't let me down. Finally...I had UNC/Georgetown in the East. I am hoping for a USC and Vandy upset though...cuz i love the upsets.

19. krhimself

krhimself New Member

A very frantic ending to the Vanderbilt-Georgetown game. The Hoyas seemingly had one foot out of the tournament before Jeff Green's tough bank shot with a few seconds remaining. On replays, though, it looked like the shot came after he picked up his pivot foot and took another step. No matter, they escaped with the win and my pick to be the champions of the tournament are still alive.

Side note: I went to high school with Jeremiah Rivers, a freshman guard for Georgetown, and saw him play on countless occasions. He'll be a player to watch in coming seasons.

Anyways, as of right now, USC is leading North Carolina by 14. The Trojans have been the better team throughout, and they've come out strong in the second half.

Edit: UNC made a big comeback and won the game by 10, with Oregon winning their game vs UNLV and moving onto face the defending champs.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

There's been some carping in the early rounds, but it seems as we move on that 3 of every four matches is settled by 1, 2, or 3 points. Not every team that I want to win does win, but I was very impressed last night by Butler, and I understand how my Terps could lose to them.

I still think that FL will win it all, but it should be an outstanding Elite 8 and Final 4.

No doubt the best yearly sporting event in the states, bar none!