March Madness

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Mar 4, 2007.

?

Which conference will have the greatest representation in the "Sweet Sixteen?"

1. PAC 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. BIG 12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. BIG 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ACC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. BIG EAST

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. SEC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. CAA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. ATLANTIC 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. MID-AMERICAN

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hello Boys and Girls -- IT'S MARCH! Over on the left side of the Atlantic, that means it's almost time for the greatest annual sporting event in North America -- the NCAA basketball championship tournament.

Just a month ago, I was wondering if my Maryland Terrapins would get an invitation to the NIT [the winner is the 66th best BB team in the country], but they're now the hottest roundball team in the country. So, I'm rejuvenated!

Let's get it started. In addition to the poll, here's some questions to answer.

1. Who do you think will win?

2. Who's the best "dark horse?"

3. Which top-rated team do you think will make the quickest exit?

My votes? [1] Florida; [2] Texas A&M; [3] Kansas

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I will make predictions and such down the road in a few days or even early next week, but this tournament should be great! No clear cut favorite and a number of teams that could win it all. I like Don's pick of Texas A&M. With Acie Law hitting all the clutch shots and a deep rotation, they will be a tough out for any team in the country.

I would like to see Kevin Durant and Texas make a nice run. I guess that will depend on the ankle of Durant which was hurt this weekend against Kansas.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm finding it hard to get enthused about the tournament.. maybe once it starts.

I can pick a team to go out early, though.

Ohio State.

Maybe that's why...

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Did anyone on this site watch the Texas-Texas A&M double overtime game last week? I passed on watching the Terps hammer Duke in order to watch it with my hospital "room-mate" -- a 1940 A&M graduate.

That game was enough to turn me back on to B-ball and March Madness. Can't wait for the tourney!

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Yeah, I watched that one Don and it was great! Some of those Acie Law threes to put the game into OT and then in Double OT were unreal.

I am usually a Texas-hater but watching Durant has turned me on to them. He is one hell of a player and is going to an NBA team a very lucky team come draft time in June.

6. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

ACC ACC ACC. Too bad my Clemson Tigers died out. Who didn't see that coming though?

7. terry1lj

terry1lj New Member

I cant really call anything until selection sunday, but look for some big upsets because it always happens.

8. psand22

psand22 Member

I can't wait for the tourney to get started....I've watched all weekend and there have been some great games.

1. I see North Carolina winning it all.
    2. I like S. Illinois and Maryland to make some noise with the underdog /
    darkhorse tags.
    3. My quick exit will be UCLA

9. BoilerBen

BoilerBen New Member

1. OSU is tough as hell and they are deep!!! Oden is unstopable when he gets the ball!! (UNC pretty good though!)
    2. As a diehard Boiler fan I say Purdue is the best dark horse. haha But as a realist no way Purdue will do much. So I'll go for other Big Ten teams... Wisconsin and MSU
    3. I think the quick exit will be Florida

Also what bubble teams that didn't make the cut deserved to be selected?
    4. Syracuse... should have made the cut!!!!

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

As a proud Alumnus of the U of Arizona where the football season means basketball is about to start, this is Christmas in March. For our British members this is the FA Cup in terms of the anything can happen in a 1 game scenario. As for excitement IMO the NCAA Tourney is as good a sporting event we have (especially the first week). While the state of the college game can surely be debated the magic, the buzzerbeaters, and the bracket busters will turn out in full force.

Final Four; Florida, UCLA, Georgetown, Ohio State
    Dark Horse; Memphis
    Upset Specials; Davidson over Maryland (Sorry Don), Old Dominion over Butler, Winthrop over Notre Dame
    Tough Luck; Texas A&M being a 3 seed and possibly having to play Louisville in Lexington in the 2nd round
    My Team; This is the 'Cats 22nd consecutive tournament and since we lost our center in fall practice this is probably the worst of the bunch (the next team they play defense against will be the first). While, I think they'll get past Purdue (though BoilerBen's team could easily win) a second round beatdown by Florida awaits.

Let the Madness begin!!!!

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

If anyone is inetersted, Tom has already joined up with me, and this is sure to be fun.

You have been invited to join dcfinsf's Private Group in Yahoo! Sports Tournament Pick'em.

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.c ... 2&P=vitale

In order to join the group, follow the link above, or go to the game front page and click on the "Join Group" button. When prompted, enter the following information:

Group ID#: 91592
    Password: vitale

The commissioner of this group has sent the following note:
    ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------
    Let's go dancin'!

Hope other people have been paying more attention than I have. Still, I like my chances.

Niagra is sure to make it to the Final Four this year!
    ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------

12. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I'm in PCB, finished the bracket in a few minutes without the usual overanalysis (which of course means changing a bunch of picks in the other pool I'm in). Even though I have Tennessee going to the Sweet 16, my buddy dragged me to the Big West tournament on Friday night and came away very impressed w/Long Beach State. Wouldn't be surprised in the least if "The Beach" pulls an upset.

13. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

As much as I would like to say first impressions are best when it comes to picking your teams, my experience shows that my later picks were more accurate overall.

Good call, and welcome to the jungle!!!

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My annual bitch in the usual two parts:

1. Carolina should NOT be a number one seed
    2. Why do Carolina/Duke ALWAYS get to open play in the state of North Carolina?

Bitch over; let's play some roundball.

COYW & FEAR THE TURTLE!!!!!

15. dstriker

dstriker New Member

C'mon Fighting Illini!

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

The Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech!

Otherwise known as the Yellow Jackets.

17. AkronBen

AkronBen New Member

My votes: [1] Ohio State [2] Georgetown [3] Kansas

18. BoilerBen

BoilerBen New Member

How do you not see UNC as a number one seed?? They are a very tough team!!! They have depth on the bench and they also have so much talent on that team!!! Oh and a great coach!!! I'm sorry HatterDon, but they got it right putting UNC as a #1 seed!!!

(Boiler UP!!)

19. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I really couldnt care less. I'm tired of 'best conference' debate. I look to a lot of upsets and those will be result of 'looking past' the low seeds.

I dont think I'll bother watching until the sweet sixteen.. but here's my picks of those who WONT be there.
    - Ohio State

And Wright State.. 'My School' is in the tourney as a sacrificial lamb. They really ARENT from no-where but previously best known for beating Big 10 teams -like Mich State- foolish enough to schedule them. I probably wont watch them either.

20. krhimself

krhimself New Member

There's been a lot of hoopla here in Tallahassee about Florida State supposedly getting snubbed. I'm one of the few people in town who isn't buying it.

To be fair, wins over Florida and Duke (the latter coming on the road) are impressive. But here's the thing -- we were tied for eight-place in the ACC. In the regular season, we did nothing against Wisconsin and Pitt when we had a chance, we failed to put away Clemson twice; we failed to seal a victory against BC twice; and we failed to eke out a win against Ga Tech twice. I hate to break it to the people here, but we did it to ourselves.

Anyways, I haven't started filling out my bracket yet; I'll get to that soon.