March Madness 2012

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by MisterF, Mar 11, 2012.

1. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

The deadline is 12:15 EDT on Thursday.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Thanks. That's leaves some time for others to join in the fun. No cost. :cool:

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Still have 30 minutes people.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Jump...those are some madness picks.

Harvard in the FINAL?! :shock:

5. AggieMatt

He overshot madness and landed in insanity. But his Racers are bringing him so joy.

Unlike what Bucknell gave Joe. At home? The Pac 12 is proving to be just as bad, if not worse, than advertised.

6. SoCalJoe

No NIT talk on this thread :roll:

The Pac-12 is frankly in the toilet :eek:bscene-tolietpush:

Harvard Jump?? I'm old enough to remember the last time the Ivy League had a team in the Final 4 (Penn in 1979, the Magic Johnson-Larry Bird year), but there is going out on a limb and going out on a twig, and you picked the latter. Murray State looked tough and put the clamps on Colorado State in the 2nd half.

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I saw several Harvard games online, and I really like their team. The higher seeds do not impress me this year, so I figured, why not? Plus, the Linsanity factor weighed in...if a kid from Harvard can not only crack an NBA starting lineup, but set the league on it's ear for a couple of weeks, there must be something there that no one else is seeing.

Alas, I was wrong.

But the Racers are for real, something Marquette will find out Saturday. Didn't begin to play our best today and still won fairly easily, so that's good. Gonna have to step it up to do what you gotta do in this tourney, survive and advance. It's basically win six in a row over three weekends. Since we've got four six game winning streaks this season, I like our chances. We're gonna abolish the term mid-major this year.

8. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Sadly, those games happen. We couldn't hit anything for 25 minutes and finally played Runnin Rebel basketball and got it within 2 after being down 20 and couldn't get a lead. At least they didn't quit. They should have put on the full court press earlier, but whatever, it's over and this program is going in the right direction.

9. AggieMatt

All you need to know about the UNLV game is that they took 23 more shots than Colorado and lost. That's pretty remarkable.

Hopefully tomorrow will bring more upsets. I lost 1 elite 8 and 3 sweet 16's today, so it'll take some upsets to derail Joe and Heather.

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I would have been 15 of 16 after yesterday if I didn't switch my VCU and Gonzaga picks at the last second. :doh:

I think I'll be regretting my Vanderbilt pick to to the regional finals, they didn't look that great against Harvard. And I have feeling that early round scare for Syracuse will see them to regionals.

11. SoCalJoe

Thanks to Colorado (even though I had the rebels) for salvaging what shred of dignity the Pac-12 has left. Scratch that, still an embarrassing season.

Biggest surprise yesterday (since I've haven't seen them play at all) was Iowa State. Not that winning the 8-9 matchup is a shock, but that they looked a lot bigger and more athletic than I expected. Had no idea that 'The Mayor' Fred Hoiberg was coaching them.

I didn't realize that Long Beach State's 2nd leading scoring (Larry Anderson) was hurt or would have changed that pick. The kid gave it a go, but clearly was no where near 100%. He only had 5 point and 1 rebound while trying to play w/a tweaked knee.

Biggest disappointment was West Virginia. I picked Gonzaga to beat them in a close one, but WVA rolled over, and Bob Huggins' teams never do that.

No shocking upsets yet, but South Dakota State, UNC Ashville, and Harvard played tough and had their chances

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

The Texas v Cincinnati game is exciting. Not sure who to pull for though. :(

13. jumpkutz

For some reason, Vandy has a poor history in the big dance, including first round flameouts (which is why I picked The Crimsons to beat them). It's a phenomonon that defies logic, especially given this year's battle tested sr laden squad. At any rate, chalk rules (at least so far). Perhaps tonight will be a bit more exciting. There are no more true cinderellas, I'm afraid. I don't count 'Nova in '85. Texas Western in '66 might have been the last, unless...GO RACERS!

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Well, you got your upsets Matt. But I think that you as much as it hurt me. :lol:

15. jumpkutz

See ya' dookies. And yeah, I still hate LAETTNER!

16. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Brackets busting across the nation right now. Wow. The Missouri loss really hurts me.

I wasnt a Duke believer but never expected them to go down like this. Also, GREAT to see Ohio beat Michigan. My BG Falcons beat Ohio so I'm going to assume we're better than Michigan too. :D

17. AggieMatt

Yeah Heather, my bracket might as well line the catbox for all it's worth at this point. Mizzou was the one upset I didn't need. But I don't mind at this moment. Growing up a Terps fan, there is no measure to how much I hate Duke. So watching them go down to a 15, in Greensboro no less, has made my tournament. A buddy of mine and I are ordering Lehigh sweatshirts b/c of this.

I called Jump's bracket insane, and yet here we are tied with both the same # of points and potential max points. As we say in San Antonio, dios mio! At this point, I just hope I don't finish last.

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yeah, don't think anybody could possibly have a perfect bracket.

I should get a German octopus to fill mine out for next year. Better yet a monkey.

19. jumpkutz

When they announced the Duke-Lehigh score at tonight's quarterfinal of the boy's state championship basketball tourney at Rupp Arena, the crowd cheered wildly for a good 30-45 seconds. UK hoops fans NEVER forget!

20. SoCalJoe

Norfolk State? Lehigh??? :banana-linedance: March Madness is the shizzle my wizzles.

The 'chalk' will be there in the end, but the first weekend is for dreams realized and hopes dashed.