Manchester City sold

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryP, Sep 1, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

one thing we can guarantee. With all the ownership turmoil at Everton, Man City, Man U, West Ham, and Liverpool, and all the economic upheaval caused by criminals as owners and by huge debts incurred by financing foreign ownership, we can be sure that none of those clubs will have even 10 point penalties assessed against them, nevermind the 30 points that Luton were assessed this year [and the 15 points the year before]. Man U publicly violated league and FA rules by "tapping up" Berbatov and didn't even try to hide it. While Spurs were telling the press that Berba was still in London, Fergie was driving him around Manchester when. In May of 2007, Man U managed to lose to West Ham at home on the last day of the season thereby (a) keeping West Ham from being relegated and (b) guaranteeing that they'd get first crack at Tevez in the transfer market. Neither club was penalized for the illegality of the transfers into the EPL in the first place -- and neither was Liverpool who signed Mascherano.

All of this stinks to high heaven, but NOTHING will ever be done to jeopardize the pre-eminent positions in the league of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Manchester United. Without those four, overseas television revenue would dry up, and all the money would go away. And, please make no mistake, what brings the big names into the big 4, and what keeps English clubs in the final four of the ECL is television revenue and nothing else.

The big four can do what they like, and the FA will never consider doing anything about it. Meanwhile, the league and the FA can get tough with Luton, Rotherham, and Bournemouth -- because, frankly, who gives a rats ass about them other than the folks who go through their turnstiles on the Saturday?

Hmmm; I was a lot less angry when I started typing this post than I was at the end. Deep breathely; deep breathely

2. jmh

jmh New Member

None of that explains why Wet Spam didn't get docked points two years ago. I won't shed a tear if they go down.

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Don, things are looking better for Luton than I might have thought. Did you see the lowest placed team in League 2 not docked any points, Macclesfield, has lost all four games, scoring a grand total of zero and letting in 14?!? Maybe a team that hasn't been docked points will go down after all.

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Which is exactly why soccer will never be big in this country. Yes, there's a lot of BS that floats around the major sports in this country. But the whole Tevez saga would NEVER fly here.

5. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Is this the same group that was looking at buying Liverpool? If so, then the impact of Hicks/Gillete losing their bailout could prove very interesting.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

99% sure this is a different group.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

SCJ: YOUR NEXT POST IS #1000!

Should be some sort of party around that. Congrats.

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Gratzi Don, if I was paying more attention I would've put I was 99.9% sure that the Abu Dhabi group and Dubai Investment Capital are two seperate entities. Now I will say the same thing with 1000% confidence :banana:

9. jmh

jmh New Member

I don't buy it. There's plenty of shady dealing that seems to benefit big-name teams here in the US too.

10. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Tim, I have to disagree with you too. Look at college football. Where to begin there?