Manager Rumors

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dcheather, Aug 23, 2014.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ressure-as-Steve-McClarens-side-run-riot.html

"Felix Magath was last night under increasing pressure after seeingFulham lose their first four games in the Championship to sink to the foot of the table.

It is understood that Magath, who was in charge at the end of last season when Fulham were relegated, was given two games to save his job at the beginning of last week and the German got off the worst possible start as his side were mauled by Derby."

And, now, albeit from the the Mirror:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-consider-replacing-struggling-manager-4097300?

"Tim Sherwood is top of Fulham’s managerial hit list – as Felix Magath fights a losing battle to save his job.

Sherwood is one of the most wanted bosses in the game and the Championship outfit have been alerted that he would be interested.

The former Tottenham chief has turned down West Brom and Crystal Palace as he looks for the right opportunity.

Strong-minded Sherwood, 45, wants a club where he has a major say in the team and signings – and that is the only factor Fulham would have to clarify.

He also brings his own backroom team, with loyal allies Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey at his side in the dugout.

The rising managerial star has been choosy in the past, but sources close to him say he fancies Fulham because of their talent and potential."

2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

We can't say we weren't forewarned. Felix came complete with TV-MA, Explicit Lyrics, Mr Yuck stickers, and Danger stamped all over him. He's lived up to everything that we were warned about, unfortunately.

Hopefully we do something b/c I'm seriously considering making Derby Co the last Fulham match I watch/listen to for a while. There's zero enjoyment in it and it's been that way for far too long.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  3. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

This is all stupid paper talk planted by his agent, but if Sherwood takes over thaaat might be it for me for a bit.

I mean, if we think we have an arrogant egomaniacal gaffer in charge now... (and had, in some capacity or another, with Sparky, Jol, Rene)

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yeah, I am not as high on Sherwood as others appear to be on twitter and who knows elsewhere. He didn't work out well with Tottenham's players, I don't have a lot of faith in him making things right. We really need someone in the Roy mold now. Someone to keep it simple, organized, and is well respected by the players. I'm sure that will be an easy find.

But I am interested in whether the Telegraph rumor proves to be true. He was told last week he has 2 more games to prove himself? Well, I guess we're down to 1 game left?

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree with timmyg. If Sherwood wants to have a voice in who gets signed, why would he jump at taking over a team at the END of the transfer period?

6. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Don't know about Sherwood, but there may be something to the two games ultimatum. Thought I read somewhere that Khan was in town recently. I don't know how often he visits the club, but I suspect most of his time is spent in Jax, especially with the NFL season looming. I suspect he and Felix had a little "come to Jesus" meeting, therefore, I find the two game deadline somewhat plausible. Personally I'd like to see him get at least until the Cardiff game at home on 8/30 to right the ship, because I suspect we'll see a "cup squad" named at Brentford Tuesday night. But if we lose both games in the same fashion as at Derby, even though they were playoff finalists last season, it may be time for Herr Magath to go.
    I don't know enough about Sherwood to know whether he would be the best option to get us out of this mess. The sample size from his time at Spurs isn't big enough for me to make a guess as to how he would perform at Fulham. It seems to me we need someone with a proven track record in the Championship, that knows the nuances of the competition and how to be effective against it.
    It's easy to become impatient after a result like yesterday's, but until it becomes a trend, we should try to hold on until it becomes obvious it's not going to be reversed by the current occupant of the manager's office.
    We should know a week from now.

encorespanish likes this.
  7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

People are saying there's going to be a Fulham news conference tonight (heard from 5live). We'll see.

8. AggieMatt

A Sunday night press conference. Better chance of pigs flying out of your ass.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yeah, seemed very unlikely. But that rumor was spread everywhere by Fulham supporters --perhaps way too much wishful thinking on their parts. ;)

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...fter-his-sides-thrashing-at-Derby-County.html

11. AggieMatt

Stupidity if true. If you're willing to fire him with one more loss, then just fire him already. If one win saves his job, then why talk about firing him publicly. This club really is run by fools...again, if true.

dcheather likes this.
  12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I still don't see it. If Khan learned anything in the ring-around-the-rosy in January it's that no manager is going to be as happy with a squad he's inherited than he will be with one he's formed. I think that if Felix is going to lose his job, it'll be in November at the earliest.

13. AggieMatt

1. I don't see him getting the results to last that long.
    2. I think waiting til Nov will be too late.

14. Dynamo

Dynamo Member

I really don't like seeing this revolving door of coaches, but I mean I guess you gotta find someone who can get the job done. I think if we're going to fire Magath it has to be now while a new manager still has time to directly influence the club

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Too late for what, Matt? You think we'll be relegated in the fall?

16. AggieMatt

Dig a deep enough hole & it's possible. Whoever replaces him is still going to have a young squad that they'll have to get playing a system & mold into a team.
    You seem keen to keep him. What plan do you see being implemented & what makes you think he's going to turn this around?

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It's not so much a case of wanting to keep him as it is wanting to see what he can do once he's settled on who he wants where. I don't want Fulham to be The Joke of Professional Sports -- "Who's managing Fulham?" "I don't know; what month is it?" "Fulham managers are all amazing. They all can walk after only 2 months."

I think we have a good bunch of young players and a manager who has had a good measure of success in his CV. I don't think he's an incompetent idiot, and I don't think we're in danger of relegation. I also don't think that getting promoted with this young and untested squad would be a good thing. We'd be right back down in the Championship.

The season is 46 matches long. We've only just begun, and I think it's a bit silly to pretend that we have to change now AFTER FOUR LEAGUE MATCHES or else our season will be irreparably damaged.

18. AggieMatt

Fair enough. I'd argue we're already a joke and the only thing that will turn that around is winning. Sticking with a manager once you've decided he's not going to cut it doesn't prove anything.

While I agree that he's not an incompetent idiot, I do think he's a dinosaur. The dictatorial style coach is largely a thing of the past here in the States. Even guys like Saban have dialed it back to better reach today's athlete. We were warned about his shortcomings from a number of his former clubs and he's lived up to them here. And it's not just 4 games.

His reputation was that he chops and changes and plays guys out of position with little rhyme or reason. He did that last season and has continued to do so this season. Why play Burgess, straight out of the U-18's, at cdm for the first time in a league match? Why not try that out in the preseason? Or try one of the more experienced cm's already on the roster there? Same with Stafylidis at lm when you have a Kacaniklic that you haven't tried yet, especially when that means playing Sean Kavanaugh at lb. Kavanaugh is 20, has 8 games at U-21 and didn't play professionally on any level until 3 years ago. Why drop Hyndman or David after good performances but then stick with 10/11 starters from a Wolves match where we didn't play well? When those same players respond to fans that they don't know why they've been dropped, that's a problem. Why continue to stick Burgess out there to twist? Further, I don't like that he's come out with these apologies after each match and thrown the youngsters under the bus.

I disagree with his philosophy of telling these kids they're playing the day of the match. I'd rather see him pick his XI and focus on them as a unit to prepare for the upcoming match. You can do that with veterans to create competition, but I don't think it's a good plan with young, inexperienced players. I'd rather see them come out well drilled. They've looked anything but so far.

I disagree with his focus on fitness over everything else, especially when we don't utilize it by pressing or outworking the opposition. Being better than your opponent late in matches is irrelevant if you're routinely spotting them leads.

In 2 separate interviews when he took the job, Felix said he doesn't watch film. In today's game where analysis is ever increasing, I think that's a mistake, even moreso in a league where you are unfamiliar with the teams. In most of our matches under Magath, we've struggled in the first half, often conceding first and struggling for offense. I have liked that he has seemed to make good 2nd half adjustments, but wouldn't we be better served being better prepared for the opposition from the start? 45 minutes is a lot to spot a team.

I'm not impressed with the style of play. Our offense has been characterized by too much sideways passing and shooting from distance outside of the box. Too often, the center mids have been too far back to link up with the forwards or contribute to the attack yet at the same time they've been awol in protecting the defense. Factor in the fb's being given too much freedom & I think we're lucky to come away with 3 one goal losses.

For me, I don't need to see more. He is as advertised and it hasn't worked. Not in preventing relegation last year and not in getting results so far this one. I appreciate he's had success in the past but that was 5 years ago and we aren't exactly Bayern. We don't compare favorably to Wolfsburg these days either.

We do agree on the fact that winning promotion this year wouldn't really be a good thing. But then, I don't think that's going to be a concern regardless of who is in charge. I disagree about relegation though. I think it's entirely possible under Magath.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  19. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

So... reckon McGaff is one of those bosses who thinks he is better at everything than his own staff. just doesnt have the time to do it all..
    Having watched sports sidebar stuff for decades, often more entertaining than the primary focus, anyone who says he doesn't watch film of opponents should be fired on the spot. It's the ultimate statement of hubris.

20. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

And Don, those 4 league matches occurred in just a 15 day span. And Felix has improved the squad from a total trainwreck (well, until Saturday) to mediocre impotence.

But, it doesn't excuse what's been happening. I've often wondered if Magath is a "hard coach" because he brings *actual* discipline (having a well-structured operation, a la Roy or Bill Belichick in NFL); or just BS dinosaur* old-school disciplinarian discipline (think Paul Ince//Greg Schiano)? This is factoid I’d really like to know, and it's looking like the latter considering the inept displays dating back to his arrival.

(*People have been harping on this film thing, is there a quote? I remember hearing it awhile back and was so blown away I probably suppressed it. Either he's calling the ultimate bluff or, as 'fog said, he should be fired on the spot)