Locked: Summer 2007 ins and outs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and, then again, some of our brethren on the other site are not as charitable to foreigners as they might be, especially those of a darker hue. If we sign Mido, they'll gripe every time he misses a sitter.

As for Gooch, I think he'll be back, but he'll have to serve a term in purgatory first. Look for him to go to Holland or France. Had he come here and partnered up with Boca in central D, it would have been much better for him and us. Roeder changed defensive lineups as often as ... well, constantly, and that didn't help anyone -- nor did lining up with Bramble.

2. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Since we're discussing American defenders, what about an up and comer like Johnathan Bornstein? He was a standout in the Mexico (un)friendly, and while he's young and probably needs more experience, why not let Fulham develop him as the leftback of the future? He could apprentice under UUU and look to step in for him later next season. Don't know what his contract situation is, but he'd probably be a pretty reasonable transfer.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I'm not ready to anoint the crown prince, even though many others seem to be. I need to see more proof.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

you know which American LB I'd like to see us sign -- Heath Pearce. I'm positive he'll be making his living in the EPL, just not next year. As for Boorstein, I like him, but I don't think he's as ready as some others. It would be interesting to see what Conrad might do. I think he's a good CCC central defender. Having said that, he's better than what we have aside from Boca.

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

It would be hard for Conrad to get the accolades and stamp oif approval of those who see him as too old and not skilled enough, but the guy can freakin' flat out play!

I'd take him. Whether starting or on the bench, I just get the impression that the guy is cut from the same cloth as McBride.

6. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

Striker to complement McBride

I watched the New York Red Bulls play Chicago and was very impressed with Juan Pablo Angel. Juan Pablo is nearing the end of his prime but just because a player is nearing the end of his prime doesn't mean he can't be successful (take McBride for example). Even though Juan just left the EPL i think Fulham should try and persuade him back.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I watched the NY-Chi game too, though joining it late.

what struck me is Angel's positioning.. he has the vision to be in the right place at the right time, and the sense to stay calm when the ball is at his feet in front of the goal. That is something that gets better with age and confidence.
    Seems to me O'Neill wasnt using him right.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

He also has time in the MLS to get the ball at his feet and then look up. He didn't have that time at Villa, nor would he have it at Fulham.

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

ooohhhh, score a big one for The Pard.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

Angel definitely is a classy scorer, but I think Don's right that he wouldn't have as much time to make plays in the EPL as he does in MLS. (Though, to be fair, Chris Armas doesn't usually make the mistake he did on Angel's second goal last night either.)

11. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

just saw this on fulhamweb.com

Liverpool defender Sami Hyypia's move to Fulham has fallen through over his wage demands. (Daily Mirror)

12. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Hey, it's his money. If it were us on the outside looking in, I'd expect SheffU's management to be continuing their support as well.

As for Hyppia, he'll be 34 in October. He'd be a good addition, sure, but he's not worth breaking the bank on.

14. nevzter

yes, it is his money but it troubles me when the club cries poor and then you see it pursuing a ridiculous legal action against the league.

why aren't more clubs who weren't relegated joining in the legal action than just the few at the bottom of the table? after all, it would be in other clubs' interest to prevent this so-called injustice in the future so it doesn't happen to them. probably because it has 0% chance of success. either this action is a testament to fulham's loyalty, i hope this to be true, or the whole thing smacks of a premonition on fulham's part that it'll be right back down in the relegation battle again next year so it needs to make this stand now, and i hope i'm wrong.

buying decent players is another option for safety instead of litigation.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't know this for a fact, but MAF's lawyers are probably already on retainer. The amount of money it took to write the brief and file the papers is miniscule -- probably closer to one week of my salary than one day of Hyypia's salary. There's no real expenditure of money until/unless there's a trial.

just sayin'

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

17. jmh

jmh New Member

Regardless of whether we're back in the relegation fight again next year, it seems pretty unlikely that there'll be another dispute of this sort.

5 years younger than Hyppia and a whole lot cheaper? I like the sound of that. (Assuming he's good, anyway.)

18. nevzter

i believe the focus is on the precedent set by administering a fine instead of a points deduction thereby causing a club with clean-hands, and in a similar table position as the club with unclean hands, to go down, not the tevez scenario taking place again.

i like russell too, mostly because he isn't knight.

19. tibor

tibor New Member

20. tibor

tibor New Member