Locked: Summer 2007 ins and outs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Update!

Another update from those in the know, take it lightly but could be an indication of what we can expect from the 3 remaining days of this transfer window (and this thread!)

2. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

RE: Update!

Apparently there is a lot more going on in the Fulham front office and boot room than I expected. I hope Fulham doesn't just sell players and eliminate the depth they started the season with, instead bring some players in with some quality to help them move up the table this season in seasons to come.

3. americanmike

4. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

RE: Zat Officially Gone

Well all the best to him. In no way does this whole thing seem kosher to me, but I do wish him the best.

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Let's hope there is a replacement in the works. If not, I sense some trouble for our already troubling defense. I can't imagine having to pick from Boca, Christanval, Pearce and a currently injured Hughes every week. That does NOT sound like a solid defensive plan for the team.

6. Team_of_McBrides

Sincere comments from Zat in the offal article. Do wish him the best and hope Fulham find a quality replacement with the 3.5 million quid they have received from Villa.

So who will feature as the CB against Spurs this weekend? Baird... Christenval...

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Re: RE: Zat Officially Gone

Considering Christanval and Boca were our best pairing in those positions last season, and Hughes has shown he is up to the task, it is interesting you say that.

However, I am confident Sanchez will add at least one more CB to the mix. Sounds like probably the Eastern European (Stefanovic?) guy from Portsmouth.

While not a huge Kenny Miller fan, I'll take him over CJ also. And Gravesen.

IN: Stefanovic, Miller, Gravesen

OUT: Knight, John, Diop

BOTTOM LINE: Players who know what it is like to win and play for something, versus those who do not.

8. Team_of_McBrides

Re: RE: Zat Officially Gone

Fair assumption. All of the above have played at various levels of football, have gone deep into cup competitions in the past (Stefanovic maybe not as much) and bring a fair bit of leadership with them.

All three would be positive signings. Not sure how long Gravesen (31) and Stefanovic (32) can last in the prem, but maybe they could last longer than I expect.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Missed my point, pard.

I'm not a great Zat fan, although he has been doing the job this year. I'm just concerned that LS was not in on this transfer and that we've lost a starting CB when we're perilously short in that area. The consensus has been that we can replace Knight with a tackling dummy and get a smarter, more mobile CB. Once the "hatin" stops, I think we'll all realize that good, strong CBs aren't numerous on the ground.

That's all.

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I guess, from my perspective, in this instance, I am less concerned with who made the decision and more impressed that someone made the right decision.

If only their were enough brave souls in the Bush administration. ziiiiiiiing.

11. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Assuming that Rosenoir will be gone by Friday this leaves us with eight backs in total. One of those is Leijer who seems to be a purchase more for the future than for now which takes us down to seven viable backs. My guess is that on average one or two of those will be unavailable due to injury at times throughout the year if things do not go horribly wrong leaving us with at times a scant five backs to work from.

I know the above is speculation but it is not a stretch to reach a situation where one injury or red card could leave us without a viable defensive substitution on the bench. If at least one or two more backs are not brought in the selling of both Knight and Rosenoir seems like bad business to me.

12. jmh

jmh New Member

What was said to give you this impression?

13. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Getting rid of Rosy is a terrible idea, but I don't think LS is a genius, he just looks like one sometimes. That said, who knows what kind of bust up they had between them.

Are you including Zakuani in this number? I would hope he's gotten better in a years time. Still, we need at least one more CB, and perhaps also an LB.

14. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I did not include Zakuani,Omozusi or Watts from the squad list. Don't know enough to know if they are truly viable on the first team or prospect players for the future.

15. jmh

jmh New Member

Posted on TFI that Radz got picked up by a club in Greece. Good luck to him!

16. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I don't like any of the transfers we're linked to... other than maybe Stefanovic. All the Celtic players we should stay away from I think.

Sammy Traore I know nothing about except that he's French-African.

David Nugent on loan would be nice.

We have yet to loan players... we can do up to 5, but only 2 from within England.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Glad to see him playing also. I heard pre-season that he was linked with Leeds, and there was a lot of talk this past spring about him going to Toronto FC.

18. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Don, reading your post on the last page makes me wonder if Zat knew something at halftime. After all, he did score for Villa...

Still wondering if Crouch is available, at least before Benitez realizes that he's a goal scoring machine. Last season, he was 7th in the Premiership in goals per minute played, right between Ronaldo and Benni McCarthy. He's not pretty to watch, but he's effective.

19. americanmike

Don, its seems you were absolutely spot on with regard to the Sanchez interview.

He wasn't the man behind this transfer but most certainly he understood the money was too good to give up (only if he could get another CB in).

Well done Pard, I'm impressed.

20. jmh

jmh New Member

I don't see any reason why Benitez would let Crouch go. Seems more likely that we'd be able to bring in the Serbian guy who's been mentioned, Ljuboja.