Locked: Summer 2007 ins and outs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmh

jmh New Member

Mike, which Traore are we linked with?

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

The one from PSG!

3. DCDave

DCDave Member

RE: Zat Knight to Villa for 4M

As much as I have ripped Knight, we cannot sell him unless we get an equal player to replace him. Given that the transfer window has three more days, I'd be surprised if that was true. Our biggest need is more players, especially if we plan to do well in Cup competitions.

4. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Agreed Tom... the problems that Fulham has encountered this season have not dealt with their attack, but their inability to defend. Goals in the last 5 minutes displays a lack of concentration and composure. Although Zat's price may be at its peak, it makes no sense to sell Fulham's most in form defender when defense is obviously where the side needs to improve.

I for one think it would be a mistake to sell Knight now. That is just me spit balling though.

I must admit I am excited at the prospect of capturing Kenny Miller. He isn't too old, has some quality experience (Champions League and SPL), decent goal average (1 in every 3 matches) and has a fantastic work rate.

Tomas... not so much.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Knightmare looks to be leaving and quite frankly in spite of the obvious "thin squad" argument, glad to see him go. LS has been pretty shrewd in the transfer market so far and there will be a new defender on the squad if the Zat deal goes through.

6. fulhamvt

fulhamvt New Member

Fulham does not defend well because they do not posess the ball well. That is a midfield and a tactical problem. Fulham tries to run these flat out 1-2-3 pass attacks and then when it breaks down we are left chasing the ball again. This style of play puts us on the backfoot for too long and we end up playing alot of defense. Even Chelsea would give up as many goals as we do if they played like that IMHO.

7. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

waahhh 3 days left in the market! here's how i (comically) see it:

out: diop, rosenior, knight, pearce (i pray to God!!!!)

in: vassel, demerit, luboja, mendieta, some other bum CB, that overrated watford striker

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

9. Lyle

Lyle New Member

10. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Re: RE: Zat Knight to Villa for 4M

That shouldn't be hard...just find the biggest piece of crap you can and sign it to a contract.

Truthfully though, LS I'm sure has something in the works. Here's hoping we get Demerit and 2 other good, starting caliber CB's.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You know, doggie, it's getting to be almost comical how people's knees jerk when the word "Zat" is mentioned. Konchesky, Zat, and Smertin have been the most consistently quality FFC performers thus far this season, but the moment his name comes up, "crap" and "Knightmare" are sure to follow.

I'm afraid I just don't understand.

12. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I agree with HatterDon... Knight has played well so far this season. It is a bit strange that he is being sold and after inking a 2 year deal. Maybe Sanchez is slowly clearing Coleman's players out. Maybe the directors know the fans abhor Knight and want to appease the petulant masses. Maybe the most money to be made off Knight is this moment in time.

Hopefully a steady CB or two can be brought in from somewhere.

13. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Hopefully Hughes is ready to jump into the mix. From what I've read he is almost match fit and plans on playing in the Euro quarter finals with Northern Ireland soon.

Zat has played at Fulham for 9 years and that is nothing to scoff at. He may not of been every supporters favorite, but he at least deserves the respect for his service to the club.

Best of luck Zat. Would appreciate some of those errors in defense to come against Fulham later in the season... ;)

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

based on Martin O'Neill's interview on Sky tonight, a couple of things are clear to me.

1. The deal was struck at half-time on Saturday. That's the only reason why he was pulled off the pitch.

2. This was something very sudden. If you know you're about to sell somebody, you don't field them in a match against the prospective buyer.

3. Lawrie wasn't the instigator. If Lawrie had asked MAF to negotiate with Villa over Zat's transfer, he wouldn't have given him the captain's armband. And, earlier, he wouldn't have given him the new contract.

Somebody else in the club sold Zat and, in the process, left us with another hole in the position we already have the most holes.

This is amateur bullshit, and it's really going to gut the squad.

Best of luck, Zat; until today I was convinced we had a stronger squad than we did last year. Now, I'm convinced we don't.

FTID; COYW; sigh

15. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

HatterDon, your post gutted me. So, this move was orchestrated without LS' blessing?

I've kicked Zat plenty o' times around here, but this season his play had improved and I was comfortable with him in the squad.

Only 3 days left to find badly-needed cover in the center...here's to hoping there's a rabbit stuffed somewhere in the Irishman's hat.

16. Lyle

Lyle New Member

nevzter,

don is speculating.

17. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhh, thanks Lyle, but seeing as how I've been drowning my sorrows, and I'm already half through the bottle of gin...well, no point in stopping now...

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Sorry Nev, I was just doing the 1+1=2 thing.

The reason I'm sure that Lawrie did not know what was going on is that if Zat had gotten injured in the Villa match he'd have lost the player AND the 3.5m quid.

I don't have any inside information. I just know what does and what doesn't make sense.

I hope it's good gin. I'll have some with you in a few weeks.

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I like Don, but his and others wilingness to stick with Knight is something I just can't comprehend, nor endorse.

The end of an era? Thank goodness.

20. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

I agree. Yes, he's played well in the last four games; but that doesn't mean he should be the starting CB for much longer. It's true in every sport that not-so-good players have streaks of good play/greatness that many use to justify their continued playing time despite other factors. I'm glad Knight served with Fulham for so long, but they can do better than Knight.

With the transfer market coming to a close soon, I wouldn't be surprised if another CB is named soon.