Locked: Summer 2007 ins and outs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I wouldn't worry bout Mido pissing off to the African Cup of Nations. Last time around he bitched and moaned at his manager, was dropped for the final -- which Egypt won -- and then said his farewell to what he termed as a bunch of amateurs with no ambition. Don't think they'll be knocking on his door again any time soon. [note: that's an example of the "screw loose" rep he's earned].

And Tom: I never made the Egyptian connection. That would be cool.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Don, I remembered him getting benched, but I thought he kissed butt, not burnt bridges (makes it an even more interesting move). However, I read somewhere(?) that Pompey wants to make a move for Defoe, which would mean Mido moving up to the 3rd choice striker. That said I'm sure the prospect of staying in London and playing first team football,and playing for a fellow countryman would be pretty enticing for Mido.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

While Defoe might be on his way out of White Hart Lane, I would NOT think that is a pure indication that Mido is moving up the depth chart. In fact, with the money Spurs have, I would NOT be surprised to see them go out and get another striker or even two.

I believe Mido's days at Tottenham are close to being over. Spurs have quite a bit of cash and with them competing once again in the UEFA Cup this coming season they are going to be able to attract some pretty good players to White Hart Lane this summer. This will be a club making some big moves this summer.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I did see a rumor that Jol was after Saha also, so I think your analysis about the Spurs depth chart is correct, Tom.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

His days must be over. I'm a total computer neophyte (time for me to take a class) otherwise I'd put up the link from soccernet in which Mido calls his signing for the Spurs a "mistake". Apparently Man City/Celta Vigo almost scooped him up in Jan. Sounds like there may end up being a bidding war for his services, which isn't a great proposition. for us landing him unless....

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Apparently, and as discussed somewhere above, Distin is off to Portsmouth:

"Sylvain Distin will this week join Portsmouth from Manchester City after snubbing a return to Newcastle. The out-of-contract French defender, 30, has agreed a £40,000-a-week package with Pompey after rejecting a new deal at City."

7. jmh

jmh New Member

One thing Steve mentioned was that the signing he thought was going to take place was *not* somebody who's previously been discussed; I found that interesting, since I figured it was as close as possible to a foregone conclusion that David Healy would be LS's first signing.

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Whilo Sam Allardyce is unfortunately NOT the Fulham manager, he is in a similar position to Lawrie Sanchez in that both are taking over new jobs at Premiership clubs. Obviously Sam had a great deal of success at Bolton and will likely be successful at Newcastle.

Below is a link to an article about Big Sam and his approach to this summer's transfer window in regards to Newcastle. Specifically, he plans on rebuilding the Magpies from back to the front. In other words, fixing the leaky defense that has hampered Newcastle over the years will be his first priority.

Here is a link to the story:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/ne ... MHD=soccer

I guess the reason I am posting this is because it would be very beneficial for Fulham and Lawrie Sanchez to take a similar approach this summer. Rebuilding a team is a tough task and like Big Sam, I believe in building a team starting with a strong defense before I worry about my own goal scorers and midfielders.

We all know Fulham's defense has been in shambles the last few seasons. Lawrie Sanchez must address this in the summer with not just one player, but two three or even four players. Perhaps Lawrie can learn a thing or two from Big Sam and his approach.

The bottom line is this....if the defense does NOT improve this summer, Fulham will be in the same position or even worse at this time next season.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree with all you've said, Tom, but there are three major differences:

1. Releasing Titus Bramble and firing Glenn Roeder automatically improved the Toon defense by a good 40-60%. Firing Coleman didn't do the same for us and the guy that everyone wants to release -- Zat -- is evidently on Big Sam's shopping list.

2. Newcastle has a butt load of money. Big Sam wouldn't have left Bolton for another tight-wad club. He's going to get a bag of transfer money, and Sanchez isn't.

3. Big Sam has shown he can do more with a limited budget than anyone outside the top 5 in the Prem. The sky is the limit for Toon within the next three years if they give Allardyce the money and allow him to spend it his way. LS has no such track record, and we don't have the cash in any event.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Don,
    I am in complete agreement with you on your three points. I know it will be an easier task for Allardyce to revamp the Newcastle defense with money and a reputation as a great manager in the Premiership.

My point was merely to suggest to Lawrie and his staff that the best way to rebuild is from the back up. In addition, if playing Championship Manager on my PC is any indication, it is cheaper to buy defensive players than it is to buy strikers and attacking midfielders.

I guess my whole point is that we all know the defense has stunk the last two or three years. This must be addressed in a major way this summer and Sanchez must realize that having managed the last five matches this season. In those five matches Fulham gave up eight goals. Not a good return. Lawrie needs to shake it up in the back.

11. martin

martin New Member

I would be happy to get Mido. He is a bit of a nutter, but he has a nose for the net. We need a striker who can finish consistently.

12. Jacob

Jacob New Member

PLEASE DON"T LET HIM LEAVE. The super hero is basically why we are still in the EPL. If LS and the board let him go, I won't say ANYTHING the rest of the summer.

13. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Oh balls. Nooooo :cry:

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

The latest I read this morning on T-F-I has strikers Marlon Harewood and Emile Heskey coming to Fulham.

While we do need some help up front, I am NOT sure these two are what we are looking for. Emile Heskey misses more sitters than any other striker I can remember. Harewood is okay, but nothing special.

I guess it would be an upgrade and give us some depth in that area, but I am NOT all that impressed with these two. What does everyone else think of these two?

15. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I would love to get Mido...Al Fayed may persuade him with the Egyptian connection.

Heskey?! Would do a job, but no thanks. Same as Harewood.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't have the problem many do on this site with Harewood, but Heskey hasn't been a Prem-quality striker for 3 or 4 years. He's strong, but he's slow and misfires in front of goal all too often.

Get Mido

17. martin

martin New Member

Heskey is not what we need. Maybe he would be useful depth-wise if he is available on a free transfer. I rate Harewood a little better, but not much.

18. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Heskey is so far under the radar I thought he'd retired... Not that I was especially looking for his name to be mentioned

19. fulhamvt

fulhamvt New Member

Everyone is in agreement about defense and the first annoucement is a loss of niemi and some week new offensive talent. I am afraid the management at fulham do not get it. I would be happy if all we added was a top tier defensive coach and 4 fullbacks this summer. We have enough attack minded midfielders and strikers that they could score if they got service. With a good defense we can win games 1-0 and I would be happy. If we are not going to improve the defense we would need to add 1000 drogba's just so we could win games 7-6 if we are lucky. don't like what I am seeing and the window hasn't even opened yet.

20. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

Bolton In For McBride - Report
    By Mark Heys May 22 2007
    The Daily Mirror newspaper is claiming that Bolton Wanderers are about to move for Fulham's experienced American international Brian McBride despite the fact that he has only recently agreed to extend his stay at Craven Cottage. McBride will be celebrating his 35th birthday next month but he is still a consistent performer in England's top division and constantly heads Fulham's goalscoring charts.

It remains to be seen whether he will end his association with Lawrie Sanchez side to come to the Reebok Stadium but the lure of European football could tempt him back to the North West where he has previously served Preston North End and Everton.