Locked: Summer 2007 ins and outs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tibor

tibor New Member

Northern Ireland is the new American with Fulham.

2. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Please say no to Carroll...Whatever he use to have is surely gone.

3. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Brad Guzan and Keller for keepers. Guzan to replace Niemi down the road. Keller to back up/spell Niemi this year.

Maybe there is a Polish stud out there. America and Poland seem to produce loads of them.

4. andyns

andyns New Member

Shock! Horror! Zat Knight signs two year contract extension. Can't believe we have to put up with more of his hoofing and overall general donkeyness.

5. Jacob

Jacob New Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 276846.stm

I just told my friend we had an "anti-signing" today at Fulham. Without doubt, I could always call when he was about to make mistake leading to a goal. When he is on the ball I get anxiety attacks lol. :shock:

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I really, really hope that the signing of Knight does NOT mean no new defenders are coming in. If no more new defenders come in, particularly center backs, we are in trouble. Lawrie must be havin' a laugh if he honestly thinks the combination of Aaron Hughes, Carlos Bocanegra and Zat Knight are going to form any kind of formidable partnership in the Premiership. That would make a good partnership in the Coca-Cola Championship, but this is the Premiership boys and girls. That group is NOT strong enough, as we have seen the last few seasons.

Sort the defense Lawrie!!

7. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Steve B has been saying that we're still in talks with Hyypia. He may just be a rich man's Ian Pearce (actually not a bad thing IMO), but at least he stays healthy.

8. Team_of_McBrides

Any news if LS will use the youngsters from the reserve side in defense? They show a great deal of promise and might not be a bad idea to get them in the mix.

Again as I have said before Defense is going to be the key to whether Fulham moves up the table or face relegation. I know many pin their hopes on Bullard, but I believe the attacking side of Fulham will be sorted out and Davis provides some quality depth in the center of the park. If Q is lost to Everton or Newcastle the defense is in even more trouble...LS call a truths with Q...Fulham needs him.

Everyone has seen what a quality experienced defender such as Sol Campbell did for Pompey...IMO Sami Hyppia could do that for Fulham.

9. Team_of_McBrides

Hyppia is by no means a rich man's Ian Pearce. He is a quality defender who was forced out of Liverpool's lineup by arguably one of the most promising young center backs in the prem. Hyppia possesses a sound ability to win nearly every 50/50 ball, puts himself in good position and knows how to lead a backline.

Would be a sound investment IMO.

10. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Well, we just re-signed a very slightly richer man's Titus Bramble, so we still do need quality defenders.

11. andyns

andyns New Member

Can someone with a wikipedia account change Zat's article? I see a slight problem with it.

Zatyiah "Zat" Knight (born May 2, 1980 in Solihull, West Midlands) is an English footballing superstar currently playing for Fulham Football Club in London, England.

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Perhaps in some league cup games they will get some first team action. Outside of that, I can only imagine them being used if there is an injury crisis, which seems to happen every season.

It would be nice to see the youngsters step up and play bigger roles this season, but I am NOT sure that these players are ready for the big time of the Premiership. Yet another reason to get a player like Hyppia in....to help teach and mold the team's younger defenders and show them how to go about doing a professional job. I really hope someone like Hyppia comes in. We really need him.

Our defense right now is pants.

13. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I probably rate Pearce higher than anyone else does, so that's not a bad thing coming from me. Hyypia has always been at or near the top of my transfer targets, and I think he's absolutely worth signing, even if we have to overpay for a 3rd year on his contract.

To make a baseball analogy, the Milwaukee Brewers signed Damian Miller to a 3-year contract a couple years ago. He's in the thrid year, 37 years old, and an expensive backup now, but he did a great job and provided much-needed leadership the past 2 seasons. Overall, a great signing IMO.

14. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Fulham simply cannot afford a big time defender. Hyppia has stuff to play for at Liverpool as well. They're going to have to develop someone.

15. jmh

jmh New Member

You don't need an account, that's the beauty of Wikipedia.

(Yes, I see the problem too.)

If Hyppia is as slow as Pearce I want no part of him.

16. Team_of_McBrides

Hyppia's future at Liverpool, unfortunately for him, will revolve around CL group stage matches and League Cup matches. For a defender of his class that is a pure waste.

I don't believe his transfer price would be too high. I thought it was rumoured earlier that his price tage was around 3 million quid?

In terms of his speed...it is by no means blinding pace, but he can keep up with most forwards.

17. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I think his wages are too high for Fulham, not the transfer fee. And his class isn't wasted at Liverpool. Liverpool needs guys like Hyppia to pick up games for Agger and Carragher. He's part of something big there. That might be more important to him then playing every weekend for a bottom table team.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I thought we all went through this Hyppia crap about a month [and 600 or so posts] ago. There's not much in the transfer fee because Liverpool is willing to let him go and wants to make him attractive. We won't sign him because his wage demands will be too high.

And I'm glad. If we did sign him, he'd be cover for a year, and then next summer everybody would be moaning "Hyppia was great but he's getting older and we've got to bolster the defense." The guy is good in the air, but he's slow on the turn -- and he's real close to his sell-by date. We need to get somebody who has five good years ahead of him minimum. This is no time for expensive band-aids, nor for Fulham to become the top four's retirement home.

Expect this will come up again in a couple weeks or so.

19. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I agree, BUT, we need a defender NOW!! We don't have time to develop defenders for this season. It is important for Fulham to develop players and bring them along into the first team, but at present time, our youngsters are NOT ready for the Premiership. Therefore, we must get someone in here who can lead and defend. Whether it be Hyppia or another figure, we need someone to come in and take charge of this defense.

20. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i'm absolutely sick about the re-signing of Knightmare. I remember my first Fulham match I ever watched...I kept thinking to myself...who is this big lurp in the back...all he does is kick it long to the other team every time it comes anywhere near him. Right away a disdain for him was formed and I STILL DISDAIN HIM!!!