Locked: Summer 2007 ins and outs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmh

jmh New Member

We definitely still need to improve the defense and the left side of the midfield.... and also up top... but Davis is a good pickup.

There was a rumor a while back that Montella wanted to come back to Fulham on another loan deal - maybe on TFI or maybe here. Is that still a possibility if the Kamara deal actually falls through?

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

This is just a gut feeling, but I would guess Montella will NOT be back at Fulham this season on loan or any other way. Having been sent back to Italy early I would think that Lawrie either did not think much of him or that he did not figure into his future plans. That being said, I highly doubt we will see him around for the upcoming season.

3. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

although i'm glad we have another midfielder, i have a problem with this signing. davis never scored a goal last year, and that is a problem.

our entire midfield core (including bullard) only scored 5 goals last year. so personally i was looking for a player who could, you know, greatly add to that figure. and although ls and others seem to love this guy, i'm very skeptical.

and we also need some defense. like now.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Davis only played in 20 matches this past season, 11 of which he started. I do not think it is fair to say Davis can't score goals based on last season. His confidence was surely lacking after spending most of the season picking splinters out of his behind after matches and Martin O'Neill was obviously not keen on him.

I think with Davis getting a fresh start at Fulham with a manager who knows him well, we will see a rejuventated Davis. Heck, the guy is only 22!!

Also, finding a goal scorer from the midfield would be great, but what Davis brings to the team is creativity and an ability to place passes into teammates in scoring positions. It was Davis who found the opening against England and made a great pass to David Healy in Northern Ireland's historic win over England last year.

Let's not be too quick in judging Davis. A fresh start is exactly what he needs and I think he will come good in due time for us.

5. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Davis can be a solid holding/defensive midfielder for Fulham. Dempsey and Bullard are quality attacking midfielders that can get forward and score goals. Lets not forget that Davis was essentially pushed to the side by O'Neill when in the 2005/06 season he was voted fan's and player's alike player of the year.

If he would of got the same number of minutes he got in the 2005/06 campaign Fulham could of paid nearly double the 4 million quid price tag that they essentially stole him for this transfer window. SAF even thought this kid could be Keane's replacement...

6. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

so we are linked to no other defenders? i can already see the opposition banging home goals...i'm sick!

7. tibor

tibor New Member

Good news on Davis. I hope Fulham can sell high on Brown (he's English, right?) which would create a slot for Dempsey. I wouldn't mind keeping Smertin around to warm the bench.

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

We are still being linked with Baird at Southampton. I would expect that will eventually go through as he is now saying he wants a shot at the Premiership.

I would guess Lawrie has others on the radar he is looking at, or at least he better have some on his radar to bring in. WE NEED TO IMPROVE THE DEFENSE NOW!!!

9. tibor

tibor New Member

So Tom, you are more of an expert than I am, by far...I only got to see about 6 -7 games last year and just followed the rest on Match Tracker. Do you think a scheme change could help the defense at all this year, or is it just purely a lack of talent?

10. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I'm glad Lawrie got his man Davis. Fulham needs some youth and Jimmy Bullard needs cover for at least half the season, if not the whole season. Don't see Jimmy being a factor until deeper into the season, if at all, unfortunately.

Still need a left footed midfielder, if not two of them. Still need two or three more defenders. Kamara and another striker would be nice as well.

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

To further Tibor's question, what about the 2 highly rated defenders on the reserves (forgive the spelling) Zakuani and Omosusi? Could either one or both be ready to fight for a spot?

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

To answer the questions, I do NOT think a scheme change will make a difference. Right now, the teams lacks quality defenders. No matter what scheme you play them in, they are NOT very good. A experienced boss in the back is needed to solidify things.

As for Zakuani and Omozusi, I believe Zakuani is still a year or so from playing first team football and Omozusi is a right back which is a position we do NOT need at this time with both Rosenior and Volz there.

I would expect more of these two down the road, but not quite yet.

13. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

Don't know if anyone posted this earlier, but Newcastle are making a move for Franck Queudrue...Franckie is priced at about 1.5 (Daily Mail).

14. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Fulham get DeMerit from Watford on a one year loan, with an option of a transfer if he performs and Watford doesn't move up at the end of the season (probably the only terms Watford would consider).

He could still live in the same house.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'd be stunned if Aidy would let him go in any form. He loves the Cheesehead, and I think he considers Jay a key component in Watford's promotion chase.

16. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Agree with the Don completely. Can't see Aidy letting DeMerit go even for a season loan. He is vital to Watford and IMO their backline would fall apart without him.

In reference to Zakuani and Omozusi...I would like to see them get some first team action, but I doubt seriously they will get the time needed to establish the experience they need. Both seem to have a fair bit of quality though.

Again I echo Tom's opinion on the change in defensive scheme being somewhat futile at this point. Quality and experience is needed at the backline before I believe LS would change the system.

17. USSOCCER10

USSOCCER10 New Member

If Watford sinks it is possible, I'm sure JAy is eager to get back to the Priemership. He would help the backline. I still think they need another striker, Boca can not be seconed in scoring again.

18. jmh

jmh New Member

If Boca isn't the answer at CB, and if Gooch isn't worth a bid, then DeMerit CERTAINLY isn't the solution.

19. andyns

andyns New Member

Has anyone given any thought to a backup keeper? Niemi is quite injury-prone, so I reckon our backup is looking at 5-10 premiership games next season. Lastuvka surely costs us some points last year, and I am not convinced Warner or Batista is the answer.

Just thinking that today because West Ham picked up Richard Wright for free, which means Roy Carroll is heading out.

20. jmh

jmh New Member

Roy Carroll is Northern Irish.

Since that seems to be what we're looking for in a transfer target, I thought I'd point it out. 8)