Locked: Summer 2007 ins and outs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacob

Jacob New Member

West Brom striker Diomansy Kamara's move to Fulham has collapsed, meaning Heidar Helguson, who has been mooted as a makeweight in a £5m deal will stay at Craven Cottage. (Daily Express)

Well the rumor mill has called what I thought would happen. I wonder what the underlying problem was. I'm guessing Helguson did not want the move at all. CB and a Striker. Please please please, LS the midfield is full.

edit: and I don't think letting Brown go would be a good idea...... sigh.

I should just move to the UK. I end up seeing all these trash mag rumors before anyone wakes up.

2. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I am hoping that the rumour of the deal for Kamara collapsing is just that a rumour. Blast you Helguson...

Also, Wigan has tabled a bid for Michael Brown for about 2.5 million quid. Low bid IMO and hope that Fulham wouldn't be foolish enough to sell him when there are so many question marks leading into the 2007/08 season.

3. andyns

andyns New Member

I would sell Brown. If Steve Bennett didn't acquire temporary blindness during the Liverpool game, Brown would have been sent off, and we probably wouldn't have beat Liverpool, and thus, relegated. Not great from your captain of all people. Also, how many CMs do we need? We have Diop, Smertin, Bullard, and most likely, Steven Davis. That's fine. Use the money to buy a backup keeper, defender, winger, or striker. That's what we need, not a deluge of centre midfielders.

The Kamara deal most likely has collapsed. Cookie was well known for being impotent in the transfer market (Reyna, John, Diop etc.) and now it looks like Sanchez may be also. I'm not terribly shook up, as poor as HH is, I don't see much better in Kamara.

Apparently we have put a bid in for Jason Roberts, 2.5 million quid. I don't rate him. Not what we need.

Finally, in regards to player wages, as a loyal and long time addict of Football Manager, I was led to believe that their wages listed were at least ball park. Have I been bamboozled?

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Any one else think the caveman in Jacob's avitar looks a hell of lot like Val Kilmer??

5. DCDave

DCDave Member

According to Steve B on TFI, the Kamara deal is not dead:

Kamara/HH Update !! -- Steve B, Wednesday, July 04, 05:18:37pm (80.47.175.245)
    As far as I can gather HH has still NOT given a decision........he is in negotiation with WBA and from what I am told he has NOT declined to move.........just needing to talk more.
    Yesterday he asked until the end of today before deciding so I believe todays talk to be purely speculation. In the end he may well decline but as of 4.00 pm WBA were still in talks with HH's agent.
    Thats all I know at the moment but will try to find out more later this evening !!

6. Team_of_McBrides

FFCinPCB...never really noticed it, but the Geico caveman does look like Val Kilmer...is this Val's return to the public spotlight?

I am still hoping the Kamara deal will come through, because I just see Helguson as a glorified subsitute.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone care to enlighten me on what TFI is?

7. tibor

tibor New Member

www.t-f-i.com Possibly the worst laid out messageboard in the world.

8. Jacob

Jacob New Member

"I am not totally in love with your tone right now"

9. Team_of_McBrides

Thanks for the post tibor. I will have a look around the site.

10. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Fulham are set to complete the £4m signing of striker Diomansy Kamara from West Brom. (The Sun)

I am at the point where I'm going to block the BBC gossip column on my computer. There is also another story that Wigan put in a £4.5 offer. It gets to a point where you can't even trust a shred of anything that is published. Ah, so we sit and we wait.

11. Team_of_McBrides

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I agree it is a good signing. 22-years-old, a player hungry to prove himself and someone who is quality in the midfield. I like this signing a lot. With Reo-Coker heading to Villa yesterday, it was just a matter of time before this signing became official.

13. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Get in! Very excited about this signing. Some Villa fans are already saying that O'Neill has made a mistake by letting him go, so we can pretty much gauge how much impact he'll have.

14. Team_of_McBrides

Judging from the players Fulham has been linked with in the past few weeks, Davis looks to be the player with the greatest quality among the lot. Now Hughes and another defender may immediately prove to be more valuable to Fulham because so much depth has been lacking in defense.

If Brown is sold this will prove to be an even more valuable move...

15. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Good point. 2 in, who is out of the midfield and back line?

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My immediate guess of the "outs" in midfield is Smertin and Brown. As for the defense, LS has already made it clear he's ready to see the back of Zat and Christanval. Hoping that Hughes will slot in at CB alongside Boca. I think that their mobility and committment might make them a relatively stable pair. I think the competition for places in MF will do us all a world of good. I'm still hoping to see Dempsey lurking behind the front two in an attacking lineup.

Speaking of which, building a team around defensive stability first doesn't necessarily mean unattractive football. Over the last half-dozen years, Arsenal were at their most dangerous when counter-attacking. A couple of seasons ago, I remember seeing them score two goals in one half -- each coming less than 30 seconds after THEY had conceded a corner. I'm not saying that we're going to play that kind of football, but it certainly plays into the skill set of a Bullard, a Davis, a Dempsey, and a Kamara.

Post #895 -- with two whole players signed. Wow! Talk about inflation!

17. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am NOT going to lie, this pairing scares me. It does not ring well with me. Bocanegra has improved for sure, but I am NOT sure if he is ready to play week in and week out in the center of our defense.

As for Hughes, I like his leadership skills and such, but there is a reason he was NOT playing at Villa, a team that struggled mightily defensively.

In other words, we still need more defenders this summer. It is mandatory. If we go into the season with our current crop of defenders, we are in trouble.

18. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln New Member

I'm thrilled with this signing. Davis is a quality player with an motor that never stops. In this inflated market, to get Davis at that price is shocking.

He doesn't just play with talent. He has the ability to annoy the hell out of the opposition. If you have a player who can distract the focus of members of the opposing team away from their overall strategy, then you are at the very least winning the mental battle taking place on the pitch.

19. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln New Member

Double post. My apologies.

20. martin

martin New Member