Locked: Summer 2007 ins and outs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krhimself

krhimself New Member

I read a snippet on an SPL that forum that we are ready to make an offer for Kris Boyd of Rangers. Now, I don't like the notion of a Bluenose signing for us, but he's been scoring goals at will since joining Rangers, and could be worth a punt.

Then again, this same "source" also claimed that the Gers are interested in signing Radz after his contract expires. So I can't tell you how credible this source is.

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Whilst Kamara isn't official yet, I read a post on TFI that put together the pros/cons of Diomansy based on the WBA forums. Here's what they said:

Plus Points

- Electric pace
    - Decent touch
    - 23 goals this season
    - Good skill and ball manipulation
    - Can play through the centre or can go down the flanks and drag his marker out of position (Woodgate admitted he was given a torrid time by Kamara) His very hard to pick up.

Bad Points

- Play acting, winding people up and trying to get others booked..can get very annoying.
    - Although he can go past players very easily, sometimes he trys to do too much, beats 1,2 then 3 and then gets tackled. If he could become more diciplined in his play he would be so much more effective
    - Too selfish (see above) sometimes shoots when others are in better positions.
    - Confidence player, head can go down and goals can dry up...

3. jmh

jmh New Member

4. americanmike

We really missed him last season man. I hope he can get back to his original form...best of luck Jimmy.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, since every point has been made about a dozen times on this thread so far -- that's how you push 900 with only the one official signing -- I don't mind saying that our BEST "get" would be a fully fit Bullard. I think his loss cost us a mid-table finish all by itself. He's the key to 2007-08

6. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Bullard is definitely the engine that pushes Fulham forward, but this season will come down to the ability of Fulham's backline...IMO. If they concede 60 goals again then relegation may become a reality. With John, McBride, Kamara, Dempsey and possibly Healy featuring in attacking roles goals will come.

LS is seeking attacking options...just hope he doesn't forget about the defense.

7. tibor

tibor New Member

Insert obligatory Gooch comment here. It seems outside of Birmingham there's been nothing with him. I didn't think he looked THAT bad during the Gold Cup.

8. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i agree w/ Don....w/ Bullard in the lineup the entire year, we finish at worst mid-table and I think maybe even sneak into the top 8. Yes I do think he had that much influence as he was brilliant those few matches he did play.

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!!! This is exactly my same sentiment and I have been saying this for quite some time. I do think Lawrie is aware of the need for some QUALITY defenders and he will get some. But I am not sure who or when.

It is key for a team to know each other and know how to play with one another. Particularly in the back on defense. That being said, it would be wise for Fulham to get a few guys in sooner rather than later.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about Kamara and Davis if both do sign, but I feel we need to be actively pursuing some defenders. Aaron Hughes is a start, but we need more.

10. Team_of_McBrides

Tom...like where your head is at and yet again you make a valid argument to be the new chairman of FFC.

With Knight possibly on his way out there will be an even bigger gap in the back line. Granted most would like to see him go, but that is a body that is still gone in defense. LS has been doing a decent job of his first transfer window...few quality signings and soon Davis will arrive (hoping).

Troubling matter is that I haven't read anything linking Fulham to another defender. Whatever happened to Tomáš Ujfaluši?

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Thanks T_O_M. I think the combination of folks from this board would make a good chairman and board. That is what should happen.

As for Ujafalusi, things have gone quiet with him. I had heard Bayern Munich was interested in him and with their spending this summer, Luca Toni, Miroslav Klose and others, I would think Fulham cannot compete with them in terms of a transfer fee and/or wages. However, I am not certain what the latest with him is. He would be a great signing.

I would really be happy if Fulham could get a good, knowledgabe, experienced and known center-half. I think we need one to lead the line in the back along with Hughes and perhaps even Bocanegra and any others. Experience and leadership in the back go a long way in solidifying the defense.

12. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

So if the Kamara and Davis deals go through, that means that we will have spent £9m on 3 players...does this mean the transfer budget is higher than we thought, or are we simply cheaping out on wages to cover the fees?

That brings up another question - if we have to limit spending on either transfer fees or wages, which would be better? Would we be better off buying Lee Cook for £3m and relatively low wages, or Bolo Zenden on a free? Anyone know of a site that lists wages of football players?

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I do NOT know a site that shows wages players earn. There is probably one out there but I have NOT looked for it.

As for the transfer budget, we always hear and read from the press a specific number being given to a manager. In this case, I think Lawrie is being given more than normal based on summer's past. Perhaps Fulham is cheaping out on wages as we have read about in the last week or two, but they seem to be targeting players they want and can pay and going after those players.

As for your question, I would guess Zenden would be asking for outlandish wages and to be honest, I do NOT think he is all that impressive. That being said, I would take a flyer on Cook. He is young, he has potential and his wages would be lower.

However, our priority should be in buying defenders at this point. Yes, we need a left-sided midfielder, but if we can't keep goals out of our net, it won't matter how many we score.

14. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Definitely, I was just using Cook v Zenden as an example. I'm not too concerned about our forwards, and we definitely need a left midfielder, but even with the Hughes signing, central defense should still be the top priority.

15. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Petty, that link is to this very same thread. Is there something I am missing? Or was this link supposed to be going somewhere else?

17. jmh

jmh New Member

I *have* looked for such a site, but have been unsuccessful in finding one.

18. Team_of_McBrides

Would be fantastic if anyone could post the wages of players in the EPL. There was one posted on the MLS wages which was a real eye opener.

Has interest in Cook passed? He was Fulham's top target for quite some time. I believe this kid has some promise and it would be great to see him in a Fulham shirt. Still he would cost double if not triple what Beasley went to Rangers for...still blows my mind his transfer fee was only 750,000 quid.

19. americanmike

Don't think you will ever see a site with players weekly wages on it. Some teams, like Fulham, do not have to publish their players wages or any other financial details since they are privately owned. I'd say 100% of teams in the prem would want their wages kept hidden...best of luck uncovering them.

Latest rumours of the day is that Reo-Coker is on his way to Villa and we will get Davis as soon as Coker signs. Davis deal is already agreed, personal terms agreed just waiting on a medical which will take place Thursday.

I don't think we need anymore midfielders but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a couple leave.

I'd love a CB, a left winger and another striker before August.

20. Team_of_McBrides

Davis will be a quality signing and add some depth to the center of the park. Haven't read much of any defenders being linked with Fulham of late which is a bit toubling.

LS hasn't really disappointed thus far especially with his modest transfer budget. Keep it up LS.