Locked: Summer 2007 ins and outs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I've read from a variety of sources that state Sunderland our now the front runners for Healy and Sanchez has moved onto target Walter Pandiani of Espanyol.

Pandiani is a good header of the ball, not loads of pace or a prolific striker by any means, but looks comfortable in front of the goal. Not sure he is the answer. Would feel more comfortable with Healy. His biggest achievement thus far was his hat trick scored this past season against Real Madrid. He also spent a short time with Birmingham and the fans soon dubbed him a huge waste of funds.

2. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Huh... didn't check. Thought it was from today. Oh well. And apparently Sunderland is trying to "highjack" the David Healy deal since they can't get Diego Forlan.

3. Team_of_McBrides

Villareal were asking for an absurd amount for the transfer. Wasn't it something like 18 million? They must be off the reservation if they think they can get that amoutn for Forlan.

IMO, Healy would be a better fit for Fulham, because he brings a different aspect to the attack. Pandiani is far too similar to McBride.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I was not all that impressed with Pandiani when he was Birmingham City two seasons ago. He did very little to show me he had the ability to score consistently in this league.

He has done well at Espanyol, but succeeding in Spain is a different beast than the Premiership. I am not saying one league is better than the other, but simply having success in one league does not guarantee success in the other. I would be leery of signing Pandiani.

5. Team_of_McBrides

Spot on Tom. Each league offers a different challenge to each player. It is a true test of whether a player can adapt to the different style of game. England of course is a more physical league than most and La Liga allows for finese and time on the ball.

Example...Fernando Morientes was a fantastic goal scorer in La Liga before he came to Liverpool. While at Liverpool he was pretty much a flop. He is now back at Valencia and having a fantastic season. Different leagues allow players to excel in some and crumble in others.

Healy is the best choice between the two.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

As with MLS, LaLiga is played in warmer climates than is the EPL. The Rifle had more time there than at Birmingham -- similar to Angel.

Interesting interview with Josh Wolff a couple of months ago pointing out that Germany's record breaking high temperatures in April reduced the BL pace to almost that of MLS.

I agree that we don't want another big, slow striker. We need someone nippy who will run -- you know, sort of like Collins John when he's not pouting.

7. Team_of_McBrides

True done, but the trick is to get John's hanky away for a while and actually start putting the ball in the back of the net. Sincerely hope John gets his head on right and stays focused this season.

If Sanchez's first signing is Pandiani, this is going to be a long and painful transfer period.

8. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

There is nothing wrong with bringing in a good McBride clone, the man himself is getting on. He has been (and hopefully still will be) fantastic. He works hard and is fit, be even so, he had trouble lasting a full 90 minutes last season. If John is staying then we need the strong ball winning player to compliment him.

9. Team_of_McBrides

What I meant by, another player like McBride, is a talented player in the air who holds up the ball well. What McBride has over Pandiani is heart, determination and work rate, and he seems to have an endless amount of each.

Probably a poor comparisson to McBride, but they do have a similar playing style. Pandiani doesn't hold a candle to what McBride brings to Fulham though.

10. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

If he could stay healthy, I seriously think Mikael Forssell would be a great signing. Unfortunately he has been a sick note but only a few seasons ago he scored 16 prem goals for Birmingham.

11. jmh

jmh New Member

If we're going to bring in a McBride clone, he should ideally be a player who's got some good years ahead of him. Pandiani is three years younger than McHead, granted, but at 31 he's no spring chicken himself. Plus he played for Espanyol. Yuck. I vote no.

How about we go back to the USA well and take a look at Kenny Cooper? He's obviously not as developed as McBride but he's HUGE and (from the perspective of wanting him to improve for USMNT duty) he'd do a lot better to learn from McBride than from Carlos Ruiz (who is a whiny bitch).

12. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

It was on tribalfootball, so it can't be true. I think the Healy signing will be announced soon, whenever the Leeds takeover stuff is done.

13. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I would rate Pandiani higher than Healy, although Healy is younger. Pandiani did quite well for a pretty good Espanyol side, while Healy sucked for the suckiest team in the Championship, Leeds United.

Sanchez, for his sake, needs to prosper now. Maybe he'll be getting Healy and Pandiani.

I also think McBride might not shine next year. He may not actually start most of the season. We'll see though.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mike, you should get Lauren to post her assessment of Bjorn's loan to LTFC. I'm wondering if he might at least be ready for the sub's bench.

15. Team_of_McBrides

First off, Pandiani is aging, I believe he is 31 or 32 years old and won't be around much longer. What maybe he could play one season more in at the top flight EPL?

He has only scored 8 goals for Espanyol as well. Not too impressive when you think about it. With Healy, yes he plays for a terrible side, but you can't throw the entire team on one players shoulders and say here get us promoted or save us form relegation. He did a fine job with a very poor supporting cast.

Oh and one last thing...Healy did afterall score a hat trick against Spain, a top notch international side and who was coaching him at that time...oh yeah...Lawrie Sanchez. He knows how to get the maximum out of Healy. I would much rather see a youth player like Healy oppose to an aging Pandiani.

16. Team_of_McBrides

Fulham can't be taking all the yanks now can they. Kenny is a solid player, but not quite ready for the EPL IMO.

Seems if Coleman were still in charge he would be building the first international yank club side. Personally wouldn't mind it.

17. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I know all this, but Pandiani was the better professional player this past year and was playing the Premiership the season before I think. Healy has been playing for a falling apart Leeds squad.

Lawrie Sanchez has this summer and a matter of weeks this fall to keep his job. I'm sure he'll bring Healy in, but Fulham can't just have Healy. Nobody really knows how Healy will perform in the EPL. Pandiani played for a UEFA Cup finalist in Spain's top league.

I think Fulham will be a fun team to watch this fall if has a bunch of Northern Irish players actually. The fact Fulham will be in a relegation battle the whole year is kind of exciting.

18. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Healy is unproven in the EPL. Pandiani has played in the EPL and he played for a UEFA Cup finalist in Spain's top division.

Lawrie Sanchez has this summer and a few weeks this Fall to keep his job. He has to flourish in a hurry. So looking for someone with some experience, even if aged makes some sense. Healy and everyone else he brings in could be gone in a years time or less.

I'm kind of liking the idea that Fulham will have a bunch of Northern Irish players on it actually. Give it a more British feel to it. And I'm getting excited by the fact that Fulham is going to be in a relegation battle from the get go.

Yeah, you people heard me. Relegation battle from the get go.

19. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

hmm Man City did just get a new manager...maybe they'll give Beasley another shot?

20. Team_of_McBrides

I hope he doesn't end up at Citeh. It would be a waste of his talent...IMO.