Locked: Summer 2007 ins and outs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

He's 17 and has proved nothing. He looked good in the u-17's, and u-20's. Its a good start but is certainly no guarantee that he'll be "one of the top players in La Liga". And I defiantly don't see this, one player, as evidence that we should be scouting Mexico.

Mexican clubs and the National youth system seem to be quite on top of the available talent there. A club with zero resources like Fulham would be wasting its time searching Mexico high and low for teenage wonder kids.

2. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Spencer...check one post above you...

Plus, I am not saying that they focus all of their abilities to finding a player in south america. Just never hurts to have a look once in a while. Doesn't have to be a teenage wonder kid either. There is talent in the established leagues in South America.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Also, remember that when scouting places like Mexico and South America that work permits come into play. A player must play in 75% of his national team's senior games to qualify. That takes a lot of players Fulham might get out of the equation.

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

The posts were entered in the same minute, thus I didn't get to read before I submitted.

Yeah it doesn't hurt to look, but I hardly see as the best place to look. If theres a young player at a Mexican club worth having its quite likely that A)bigger Mexican clubs B)Argentine Clubs C)Possibly European clubs would be on to the player. We'd be in competition with all those for the player and would get in a price war, somthing that Fulham unlike Liverpool never comes out on top in. And thats without taking into account the players actual chance of success. Latin players tend not to fair so well in the EPL, thats just fact. With limited funds we need to play the odds.

I just think were better off looking in England, Scandanavia, and the United States.

Another thing to ponder, we could get the assistance of Leroy Rosenior, now manager of Sierra Leon, to help make inroads in Africa. In his attempt to qualify for the World and Africa Nations Cup he will be exposed to talent all over Africa. This is a natural connection, being a former Fulham favorite and his son playing for the club. Its something that could potentially turn into a real pipeline.

5. Masshole

Masshole New Member

I don't think you need to play in 75% of national team games if they never got a call up. If you find them young enough they can play if they never rode the pine during a national team game.

6. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Agreed, work permits would prevent any of these players from coming in and playing in the UK, unless they have some close relative with EU citizenship (like Demerit). There was talk of MAF establishing a feeder club at Ross County in Scotland...while Scotland obviously has the same work permit issues, What if he could set something like this up in Belgium or Poland? Young non-EU players could play there for 2-3 years, get citizenship, and then move to Fulham...jeez, I've been playing too much FM.

7. Team_of_McBrides

Work permits do limit the ability to acquire players from south america. Took Rafa roughly two seasons to sign Mark Gonzalez and as you can see it is either hit or miss on how they pan out. To be fair he should be given another season with another club in the EPL, but La Liga has come calling.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

T_of_C, I think you've set some sort of land speed record. As I type this [and it may be out of date by the time I finish], you've got 125 posts in less than 72 hours. You've gone through four levels of membership in that time. Compare that with "Masshole" above who's been with us for 4.5 months and has just made his second post.

Wow!

9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

A good analysis of the work permit issue in the U.K. - and despite my enthusiasm for Fulham to tap into a new talent base (whether that be Mexico, South America or Africa) with the incoming TV revenue, the work permit issue is strict...very strict.

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... ayers.html

"..you only give me your funny paper..."

10. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Thing is, those teams don't have to worry about the strict UK regulations. Spanish, Dutch and German clubs can sign pretty much anyone they want from South America, but Premiership clubs can only sign established international players. Even Josh Wolff got his work permit rejected.

11. Team_of_McBrides

I live and breathe football, love to discuss it and my job even deals with football...scary huh. Not obsessed, just love to be around the sport.

Hopefully I am not posting too much or just ones that are rubbish. Great forum you guys have here.

12. Team_of_McBrides

Judging from the posts some have faith that South America could hold some new talent for the club and others do not. This is for all to answer really no matter what side you fall on in reference to the debate....

What or nation/continent do you think has the most untapped talent best that Fulham could utilize in the near future?

13. Team_of_McBrides

Haha...it is Josh Wolff afterall.

I was just going on to prove the point that there is talented players in Mexico. Osorio just joined Stuttgart this past season and in his first season he pretty much led the back line to the Bundesliga title. That is quite impressive.

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Africa and in turn the French league. I think there is a wealth of untapped talent in the French league and many of which are from African nations.

15. Team_of_McBrides

Agreed. I was going to say Africa and many of the African players have already been recruited into the French leagues. No clue how the French Ligue has been so successful at doing so, but they are doing a great job.

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Premierships next big bounty,......U.S.A.

It's all circular, ay, Fog?

17. Team_of_McBrides

"Circular...it goes up, down and around. Like a carousel."

18. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Ivory Coast and Senegal are former French colonies. There may be some French connections to Mali as well. The thing is that France has had a presence in West Africa for a couple hundred years. They have football academies down there and what not.

So Papa Bouba stuck to his former colonial overlords in the 2002 World Cup and is why he's at Fulham.

19. Jacob

Jacob New Member

So we are keen on Steven Davis, had a bid turned down for Chris Baird and are straight up raiding QPR for Lee Cook and Roy Jones.

And we are also linked with Liverpools goalkeeper Scott Carson.

The superhero isn't the problem here................................... I am a bit biased.

(I've been here since 05' and this T of C character has out posted me in a day. WOW. lol keep it up we need more people like you on the board!)

20. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

The latest rumors from the English papers:

And Aston Villa will also let Steven Davis leave for £5m. Fulham are keen on the Northern Ireland midfielder. (Various)

In fact, new Fulham boss Lawrie Sanchez is keen on a fair few players. Southampton have rejected a £2.5m bid for defender Chris Baird. (Sun)

The Cottagers are set to raid neighbours QPR for Lee Cook and Roy Jones. They have opened the bidding with a £1.5m combined offer. (Various)

And they want to sign Liverpool goalkeeper Scott Carson. (Mirror)

Portsmouth are eyeing Fulham midfielder Papa Bouba Diop in a £2.5m deal. (Mirror)

I spoke to a Villa fan yesterday about Davis and he his wholeheartedly against Villa selling him because he did a fantastic job holding down the midfield throughout the season.

As for Papa leaving for £2.5m...no f'n way. That is rubbish.