LOCKED: January 08 Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Lyle, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Mendy, that's the same guy who's been linked with Sellik a couple of times, though he appears very unlikely to move there now. Supposed to be a pacy, attack-minded wing-back. Think he's also had a spell with Bolton on loan a while ago.

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

If we picked up Bornstein, I would only use him when we're facing pacing wingers like SWP. Watching his (Bornstein's) games, he suffers when facing physical players, but does well against pace.

Besides, anyone who can shut down Messi for a half deserves a look (Copa America - first half; Messi moved to the other side 2nd half).

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Always have to take rumors with a grain of salt, but for the love....please no Eddie Johnson, if we want a forward with skill, but that aggravates to the point of hair-pulling lets look no further than Leicester City and recall CJ.

4. BarryP

BarryP New Member

According to an article on NewsNow Mendy's contract runs out this summer, he is not in Paris SG starting 11 and the club is looking to pick up a transfer fee for him. The same article stated the Portsmouth is also interested in him.

5. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Bornstein is not good enough at the moment. If he were, I'd be the first to say pick him up. Konch is ok...he's had his share of mistakes and off games, but he's been the best defender thus far. As far as the news on Bullard and McBride I am absolutely thrilled. Those could be the two best players we have and to get them back around the same time is fantastic. I'm just hoping they can return to the form they had before their injuries, and that it will happen quickly. No opinion on this right back guy...as far as I'm concerned we've got a guy with a shot to play for England in the future in Omozusi...so keep playing him and forget this frenchman. Let's get some rumors about picking up a solid holding mid, then I'll start getting excited

6. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

From the BBC's transfer gossip page:

Derby and Fulham have joined the race to sign Blackburn midfielder Robbie Savage, who is also wanted by Sunderland. (The Sun)

Watford striker Marlon King says he will leave the club during the transfer window - with Fulham tipped as his likely destination. (The Sun) Please be true...

7. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

wow...Robbie Savage. Can't believe my ears. What, Joey Barton next?

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

One of the announcing pairs this weekend opined that Savage to Sunderland was a done deal, and that Blackburn were playing coy to get us interested and to drive up the bidding price.

He is exactly what we DON'T need. Okay, him and Barton.

9. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Obviously we have plenty of depth at RB, but he'd probably be an improvement over anything we have. IMO, even if this position isn't a priority, we should do what we can to improve the squad as long as it isn't too costly. If signing this guy prevents us from filling some bigger needs, don't do it...but, say if we get the defensive midfielder, centre back, and striker we need, and still have money left over, go for it. Omozusi can probably play LB, and we might be better off sticking him there if Konchesky struggles.

10. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

"He is exactly what we DON'T need. Okay, him and Barton."

I have a contrary idea, bring back Brown and put him in a golden-gloves midfield pairing with Barton and Savage. Fulham will punch their way out of the relegation fight with a team chemistry reminiscent of the Portland Trailblazers of the late 90s / early 00s.

Ok, so maybe it's not a great idea...

11. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

funny idea though!!! hahahah

but yeah...my thoughts earlier on this Savage madness is the reason I brought up Barton in the first place...I wouldn't touch either with a 10 foot pole!

12. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I can confirm that Jan Koller was at Mostpur Park today and we've been speaking to his agent about a loan move til the end of the season. Old, but still has it and is THE target man.

Also, rumors are swirling we are after Eddie Johnson, Marlon King (my independent source says so also), and Robbie Savage. Lastly, Harry Kewell is on our radar.

13. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

wow...thanks for the updates Mike. Koller demolished the U.S. in the World Cup. If it's a loan move indeed, I have no qualms with that. Let's get the big man in there...we can send Kuqi back to Palace. I wonder how much we'll have to offer for King. Kewell...I'm indifferent. The guy is quality when healthy.

14. jmh

jmh New Member

That's a fair point, you've got to at least consider making any possible move that might improve the squad, but given that the budget is limited, and that we've already got THREE right backs (assuming none of them are sold), I have to figure that money would be better spent on a striker, a holding midfielder, and/or a center back first.

Interesting news about Koller, though at the same time it suggests to me that we're concerned about McBride's health.

15. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Many seem to be indifferent on the prospect of Kewell joining Fulham. I on the other hand am overly optimistic. I believe Kewell can do the same for Fulham that he did for Leeds. He possess a solid left foot, can attack well and provides tremendous service. Hodgson could even utilize him as a forward. Only problem... injury prone. Hopefully that is behind him now.

16. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I agree with you TofM...the only issue is his injury issue...which has been a huge issue over the past few years. If we do get him, let's hope he puts that behind him and that he gets back to playing football like he did when he was with Leeds.

17. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I agree with TOM and others, Kewell is a significant upgrade to the squad. If FFC can sign him at a market price, there should be no hesitation. Although I really like H.B. in the squad, I think his pace and attacking can be better utilized as a sub in the second 45 minutes of matches to exploit the opposition.

Although not a worldbeater by any means, Kewell can actually dribble through defenders - I haven't seen an FFC player control a dribble through an opposing defense in months.

I think FFC should not sign a bunch of dross a la LS - take that 15+ million quid and sign 2 or 3 QUALITY players. Loan or whatever, it doesn't matter. The calls for a "Viera" midfielder demonstrate the most glaring need and should be heeded by the club. After that, find a player or two that can put it in the back of the net.

I may be the mayor of simpleton, but I don't believe a full-overhaul is needed to climb out of the bottom 3. I believe that just a few more goals and somebody to hold the midfield will make survival a possibility.

18. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

I agree with nevzter.....a defensive midfield stopper in front of our current centrebacks is a crucial element to our survival in the Prem, plus one of those easy to find finishers..who would have thought Healy would have struggled so.....plus another attacking player like Kewell with composure on the ball....3 like that Santa(MAF)

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

What these guys said. One target man, one tough holding mid, and one linking player to put the wind up who we have. This would allow us to get rid of Kuqi and Seol, and keep Murphy on the Bench.

How's this sound for Feb 1:

----------- Keller ----------------

Omozusi ---- Hughes --- Boca -- Konchesky

-------------- Diarra/Diaby ------------------
    Davies -------------------------Dempsey
    ------------- Bullard --------------------

--------- Healy --- McBride -----------

Bench: Niemi, Volz, Davis/Murphy, Boazza, Koller

20. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

that sounds tasty