LOCKED: January 08 Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Lyle, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmh

jmh New Member

Window Shopping

Article posted on the club website, but there's not a whole lot of detail beyond the fact that there's money in the budget, within boundaries, and that LS is planning some more signings.

2. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

I miss Smertin. Mostly because that's the jersey I got.

3. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

sounds to me like there could be some foreign arrivals in the transfer window. Michael Parkhurst anyone? Interesting all of this money LS has gotten when Cookie didn't get squat. Hopefully with the return of Big Mac and Jimmy B, and some smart investments during the window, we can improve on all of these last 10 minute breakdowns. I agree with a new RB and CB, but I also would like to see some sort of holding mid.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

According to the BBC, Portsmouth has said Matthew Taylor can leave in January for the right price. He is a left-sided player. I like Matthew Taylor, but with Konchesky at left back and doing a solid job and then Bouazza, Seol and soon to be revealed Lee Cook fighting for time on the left wing I am not sure we have a great need for him. Or do we?

Thoughts on Matty Taylor?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 129676.stm

5. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I hate Pompey but I've always admired Taylor. I had also heard that David Nugent might be available as well. Don made a good point earlier that with the African Nations Cup coming up, they might not really want to expose these two guys since they'll have a bunch of guys out of action during that Tournament so who knows. If either were available and affordable, I'd say jump on them both.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Tell me about it; me with my brand new Volz jersey.

7. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

If Parkhurst was signed it would not improve our defense at all. we already have a devolopment player in Leijer and do not need another one.

I do not think we need a RB. I am happy with Omozusi and Volz playing there and think Omozusi could continue to start and play well. I want a damn CB. Somebody with some class and would immediately improve the situation. I like Demerit from Watford and really do not care how much he would cost. If we can spend 6m on Kamara we can spend a good 4m or so on a good cb.

8. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

There is talk of us going after Zamora. Please no! Especially at the price suggested. 5m!?!?! Seriously West Ham are having a laugh if they want that.

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Forget Parkhurst, but I am am more and more believeing Sanchez should go for DeMerit. The guy freakin' sells out! And, he has an attitude that would be extremely advantageous and complimentary to McBride, Niemi, Konchesky, and Davies (and maybe even Bullard). That is our core, and he fits in.

It is undoubtedly a long shot, but go get him Lawrie, if you can.

10. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

i think we should look at ls's signings/trades and evaluate them before we start wondering who fulham will/should get. here's my take:

IN:
    Cook (hasnt played yet[!!!])
    Leijer (dont expect him to play anytime soon)
    Ashton (was good in that one game, right?)
    Baird (been replaced by an academy player)
    Davis (was decent, needs some time on the bench)
    Hughes (a step up from Knight, but still nothing to brag about)
    Kamara (wayyy overpriced for one quality, timely goal)
    Healy (a good buy)
    Murphy (shouldnt be starting, otherwise cant complain)
    Kuqi (when is the loan over???)
    SK Hyeon (wait, since when did he start playing for us?)
    Bouazza (like hughes, not bad...but missing that certain something)
    Keller (came in as a temp worker, cant really judge)
    Stefanovich (didnt have a problem with him, but 7 goals conceded in 3 games is a joke)
    Konchesky (started off great, hasnt been the same since the red card)

OUT:
    Diop (HAD to go, is doing fairly well at Pompey)
    Knight (see above)
    Rosenior (hasnt had any significant time since mid-October)
    Brown (have fun in the championship!)
    [am i forgetting anyone else?]

so it seems that although LS has added a lot of players, none are really a step up from what originally was there. i know we say that Fulham is playing better than last season (which is true), but its still their worst start since being in the top flight.

if we're going to be active in January, we need quality. Parkhurst is good, but is he the answer? Fulham needs to stop the window dressing and actually replace the whole damn house. As much as i didnt think cookie was the answer, at least he was a transfer maestro. So far I cant really say the same for LS.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

At last a rumor I like.

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/loadne ... &id=367007

Marlon King is the goods. His injury last season basically left Watford without a hope. He's got 10 goals so far this season and the price is right.

In the words of the immortal Mars Blackman: "please baby, please baby, baby-baby please!" :D

12. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

He is a championship player. He would not do any better than what we already have. I would like us to be ambitious and try and get Peter Crouch. I mean if we are gonna overspend on player it might as well be a player that has actual talent and can play in this league. That is not ever gonna happen though.

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Do not know who he is, but we are being linked with another Korean.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 44,00.html

Also it seems that Roysten Drenthe from Real Madrid is free to leave. I very much doubt they would sell him for the 10M he signed for so I think there could be a chance of him leaving for around 5M. A longshot, but certainly worth the chance. He is class and Chelsea look to be favorties to sign him.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

FFC 24: Not for a moment would I disagree with the fact that (a) King is playing in the CCC and that (b) Crouch is better. But here's my question: When was the last time Fulham signed an England center-forward? Here's another: When was the last time Fulham signed somebody from Real Madrid that Chelsea was after? I'm looking for someone we can afford who'll want to play with us. I'm -- you'll excuse the expression -- being realistic here.

About the Korean, if he's alive and knows that he has 10 teammates, he's better than Seol. I have never been so wrong about a player in my life. I liked everything I saw of him at Reading last year and nothing that I've seen this season. He's pure dross.

15. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Totally agree Don. I was ecstatic when he arrived. Now I'm ready for him to leave. Anyone else notice he NEVER LOOKS UP WHEN DRIBBLING?? no wonder he never passes.

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Not saying that all the energy, thinking, and wit I expended on the LG/Lee fiasco took a toll... but it just MIGHT have done! Good that we DIDNT get him, though.

'Seeing in the strip' is believing.

17. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Hilarious Don!

I do have to say though that it's good to see FFC 24 posting again. Maybe I just haven't noticed but it seems as though it's been awhile. Although IMO many of his ideas are a little over the top, I'm glad he has a lot of insight and thoughts to add when it comes to transfer threads. Welcome back FFC 24.

18. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Ok...so looks like we have some new rumors floating about. Marlon King, Roysten Drenthe, Korean dude. I've never heard of Drenthe or Korean guy. King was very good before his injury last year, and frankly I haven't seen him this year so I couldn't tell you. I'll have to look up Drenthe and Korean guy on youtube, see if I can see some highlights of them

19. jmh

jmh New Member

What I know about Drenthe from Wikipedia:

20-year-old Dutch left back/left midfielder. 5 goals in 12 appearances for Netherlands U21s and was named player of the tournament in this summer's U21 UEFA Championship. No league goals for Real (in 8 matches) or Feyenoord (in 29 matches last season) but scored for Real in the Spanish Supercup. Rumored to be expendable because Marcelo has developed very well. Real paid 14 million Euros for him.

My conclusion: Would very quickly become a better player than Konch, if he isn't already, but almost certainly out of our price range. I don't know why the Blue Poo need him with Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge already on the books, but it's not like money is a major object for them.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I see on the offal that we have already pretty much acquired three players as soon as it can be legal to sign them. Anyone with good connections care to confirm that and maybe give us a hint or two? Anyone? MIKEY? :lol: