LOCKED: January 08 Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Lyle, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacob

Jacob New Member

In my eyes EJ is for the future. We need a stop gap now. Like many in this thread have said we need someone with Prem level experience. Or a really good european international player.

2. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Eddie found his game again in MLS last season, I don't think it'd be a bad thing for him to join our forward-deficient club. He cannot be worse than Collins John.

That said, no transfer alone is going to save the team, it's going to take some tactical brilliance. I hope, I hope, I hope Hodgson has something up his sleeve. If not, can we buy that?

3. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

If you look at newsnow it seem like Fulham is after every player in every league. The problem is, who will actually sign. I am getting a bit tired of the constant "silliness" of this transfer window for Fulham. Go after only targets who we know for a fact are looking to make changes (players and clubs) other wise we are just wasting time and money. Sorry for the downer, but if as Roy says, "we need new players to stay up", then get the realistic ones now.

4. forfarloon

forfarloon New Member

I think the EJ move benefits the US National Team more than Fulham. I think Johnson was too good too early, and now needs to pushed to bring the best out in him. (Hopefully, he is pushed in the PL, not the Championship next year...) Actually, Fulham is turning out to be the best thing that happened to the US National team. Hopefully, Team USA and Fulam will both improve in the coming years!!!

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Quality first post, Loon. I was just thinking the same thing yesterday, that EJ's acquisition helps the USMNT probably more than FFC.

6. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

This is all just part of the "show" that is the January Window. Because we are in a relegation spot, it's gonna be magnified a bunch as well cuz we supposedly "need everybody" if we want to escape relegation. Personally, I'm not to worried yet. There has been a little movement from other teams, but Roy said when he came in that he was going to assess every player before he went about making drastic changes and I think he's stuck to that. I also think he realizes we aren't good enough and I do think he's been shopping around. I'll start worrying if we get to the 25th and we still have made no changes, but til then I'm trusting in Roy to sort us out.

7. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

I have not read all 285 posts on this thread, so apologies if this has already been covered (I'll assume it has been if no one replies). But, considering that Sanchez's signings have either been down right poor(Kamara, Baird) to just barely average (Healy, Davis, Hughes), is LS dooming FFC to potential relegation even after he's gone? These guys cost a lot of money and did very little while he was manager. Roy clearly doesn't like the make up of the team and it doesn't seem like his phone is blowing up with people looking to take them off our hands. Which makes them blown investments that financially hamper FFC's ability to sign players now. If FFC is stuck playing these guys the rest of the year and subsequently suffer the drop, will Sanchez be responsible for an extended decline for the club? (No guarantees they'd be back up after one year). Could he be the greatest scourge to FFC of the 21st century?

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So here's the 288th post on this thread and nobody has gone in or out.

Folks, please remember that twice a year we are linked with every player in the German, French, Spanish, and Dutch leagues about to be out of contract, as well as any player in the UK who had even a tangential connection with whoever our curent manager is. Also, because we have Americans on the roster, every American who comes to London is "right on the verge of signing with us."

The British sporting press -- for the most part -- doesn't even have any desire to get facts of any kind, never mind accurate facts. Even the top players are like bloggers in the states. They go "what if" and then put something in the paper. Honestly, there's been so much emotion expended on this site during the transfer windows I've monitored here -- who is fit; who is trash -- that it only serves to keep people's heart rates up.

When somebody goes and when somebody comes in, it'll be because Roy wants them. Remember that he says he has no problems with the individuals on the squad, just that the mix isn't right. That tells me he's interested in a striker and in a holding mid. He's already got plenty of everything else. This is a guys who has been watching a ton of international competition over the last few years. He's seen more players of more countries and watched play in more professional leagues than anyone else other than Eriksson.

I'm cool with sitting back and seeing who actually signs, and who actually leaves.

10. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Thank you Hatter, I feel much better now.

11. Markus

Markus Member

Now Don, what's the fun in that? ;)

12. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Here's a new dude that we are linked with.

"Guglielmo Stendardo is being chased by three British clubs as Lazio look set to let him leave on loan.

The 25-year-old central defender had been a regular at Lazio before a fall-out with coach Delio Rossi.

It is believed that Fulham, Birmingham and Celtic have all made enquiries to take him.

Tottenham have previously been linked with a move for the highly-rated stopper, but they are not thought to be one of the clubs now battling to sign him.

However, it is reported in Italy that Stendardo is keen to remain in Italy and both Milan and his home-town club Napoli are said to be showing an interest.

Despite his recent rows with Rossi - Lazio are also said to be keen on extending his contract, which has 18-months left to run."

13. jmh

jmh New Member

If he doesn't want to leave Italy, he's certainly not leaving Italy to sign with us. :?

Another rumor:
    Brad Guzan Possible Move To Fulhamerica

14. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

hmmm....I'd have to think about this one....

OK, let's get him!!! :lol:

15. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Watford accepts the cake (good bit of business for them) King in for a medical. Considering it took nearly 1000 posts this summer for something to happen, we've only tortured ourselves w/300 this window :banana:

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

this is a good get. He's a prem quality striker. His injury last season doomed the Dirty Yellows. He's quick and aggressive and he has something to prove up here.

NEXT!

18. DCDave

DCDave Member

Excellent point, and part of makes it very frustrating at times to follow English football.

I think a lot of this difference between the UK and US is that in the US, we have "beat reporters" who cover the local club for the local paper, and cover that club extensively. Therefore, they develop relationships with the clubs and their movers and shakers on and off the field. This helps them understand when a rumor is just total BS and when it has a good basis in fact. They also have to walk in the locker room or call the GM after they write their story, and if it's total BS, that is much harder. (That's why columnists in the US can get away with writing BS, which they often do--they don't have to face the subject the next day.)

No UK reporter covers Fulham or has that kind of relationship with the club. So, basically, they don't know what they're talking about. But, with 87 papers in town, they can't just say that they are clueless, so they pull this stuff out of their *** and print it.

19. jmh

jmh New Member

I'm sorry, but I don't know what it is about a few games that makes people so sure King is good enough for the Prem. At this point this strikes me as overpaying for another Championship player.

20. andyns

andyns New Member

I am also unsure about King. Seems like a move Sanchez would make. But I suppose, to be honest, could we really expect to see someone better come to us?