Life altering events... or so you think

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dtwondough, Sep 5, 2008.

1. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

So, one of the strangest things happened to me the last two weeks. Last week, I was given two great reviews at work, by our CFO and our Controller (I'm an accountant/financial analyst). Then, tuesday after returning from holiday, my controller comes in with my boss and says "we thinkg it's best if we go ahead and offer you a severance and you leave." I was really confused. I knew it could be coming, there were some political issues between myself and one of our regional offices. So I sat there and took it in. He reiterated that I had done everything they asked and exceled at doing it, but I have only been there 8 months and those guys in Tulsa have been there for 20+ years and this was easist. I understood what he was saying, but to be told you're doing everything right, now leave was a shock. So, i took my severance, got nervous and you can imagine the thoughts that went through my head, especially if you've been in this situation. However, after meeting with some recruiters and others, I'm confident that I won't be unemployed any longer than I want to be, ( I do want a few weeks off to decompress from last job. extremely stressful).

My point of all this is that I was a mess. I was scared, my wife was there for me, but I had no idea what would happen. Then after two meetings, I felt great. I went from thinking "my life is going down the crapper, fast." to thinking "wow, i've been given a great opportunity to do some volunteer work, get all of my affairs in order, and move on to a better opportunity." Not sure why i'm sharing all of this, just felt like it. needless to say, i haven't checked the board all week, so not sure what all i missed. Not that important, just thought i would share my experience.

Oh, and if you are looking for an Oil & Gas accountant/analyst, let me know. I'm really looking anywhere, actually looked at some jobs in scotland. that would be cool. Ok, have a nice day.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

fantastic attitude, DTW. You have exactly the right view on it.

Just mind what I said on my experiences, use that severance as a 'bonus' not to live on, if at all possible.

3. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Fog, that's the plan. i do want to take a couple of weeks and not settle for the next job, but it would make a great bonus and that's my plan

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

dtwon, hang in there, pard. Every time a door closes a window opens.

That's the key. Let us know when you land squarely on your feet.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Glad to hear that it only upset you for a short while. Looking at this as an opportunity that can be taken advantage of is indeed the right frame of mind. Chances are this will end up being a positive turning point in the big scheme of things. If you line up a new job, you may even be able to use that severence for a trip over to the cottage.

Anyway, I'm wishin' you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do. If you're not averse to moving, dont overlook Cleveland in the job search. It is a great place to raise a family if those plans are in your future.

I would be interested to know what volunteer work you plan to do.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It has to be noted that to get a severance of any size at all after only 8 months meant either they REALLY liked you or you scared them to death.

7. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

I do think they really liked me. Like I said, I got good reviews, just bad timing I guess.

Mo, I volunteer for the church that my wife and I belong to as well as serving as an alumnus advisor for a fraternity at the University of Colorado. I enjoy working with the college kids.

I do plan on making a trip to the cottage in January. If everything goes well, I will be making that trip as planned.

Thanks for the wishes. I'm excited about the future, and we are open to moving anywhere. I've actually been looking in the Ohio/Illinois/Penn area.