Letters from Barry and John

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Sep 12, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, letters over their signature at least -- written by the DNC and RNC but over the candidate's signatures:

Let's skim the "highlights:"

Obama

"As Democrats, you and I are united by the great traditions of our party ... ." Hmmm. Let's see: support for slavery, secession from the Union, firing on Federal troops; fighting for segregation, [imagine Jon Stewart saying "go on."]

"And I know you all share my belief [yes, sir; I do sir] that the agenda offered by John McCain is nothing more than a continuation of the failed policies of the past." Hmmm. Sorry, Repubs; as much as I like McCain, so far this is the truth.

We then go on to use the word "change" twelve times. He did use "the" more often. However neither "America/American" [two times] or even Democrat/Democratic" [ten times] was used as often.

Note: there were no attacks against Republicans per se, nor towards their voters and supporters.

McCain

"In the past you have served as a valued and trusted member of our Party." Hmmm. Ever wonder why my vote for Bob Dole in '96 was the last time I pulled a lever for any Republican? [note: Barack says "our party;" McCain says "our Party."

"The Obama Democrats and their left-wing, special interest allies ... are stepping up their cynical campaign of distortions and outright lies." Hey, Senator, how's that whole "no personal attacks" pledge working for you?

"If the Obama Democrats win ... your family will face a future of higher taxes, more government spending [obviouly not higher amounts of government spending though], socialized medicine [return with us now to the 1950s], a tried-and-failed energy policy [really, what policy is that? The one that had gasoline at $1.25 when Clinton left office?], and surrender in Iraq." Hmmm, obviously those who support the Obama Democrats are horrible commie surrender merchants! Way to go after liberal votes, Bob; call us traitors. Thanks AGAIN.

"... we cannot fight back against the Democrats and their liberal allies ... ." Does this mean that the Democrats AREN'T liberal but their allies are? And just who are those allies, Bob? Blacks? Women? Labor Union members? Teachers? Jews? Educated people? CIVILIAN VOLUNTEERS?

Of note: Barry asked for "$35 or $50." Bob asked for "$100 or $50." Know your audience, I guess.

Also of note: the word neither letter had? "Bush."

Both letters, and their contribution slips now lie at the bottom of my shredded mail. I really don't want anybody associating me with the DNC or RNC. That's as bad as identity theft.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Ah... Don's hitting his stride.

Can I start posting the emails I get from DNC and DSCC? Or would that be bad form? I get nothing from the GOP.. like Don, I dont want it.

The only reason I get stuff from the Dems is to compare their positions to the supposedly 'non-partisan' "Care2" environmental petition site. In case you wonder.. there is no difference.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

you get emails from the DNC? Wow. I get an email from my US Rep and that's it.

And, I find it hard to believe that you've received information that makes Democrats look bad that you HAVEN'T posted, but there's no sense on holding back on my account. You can't hurt any Democratic candidates I like here in Texas, and I've already said that I like McCain and don't think Obama's ready, but sure.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Who is Bob?

BTW, I concur on not wanting to be a part of either party. One of my Geo. Washington quotes on the quote thread related to political parties. Any time you think things suck now just look at history and see how bad they were back then.

I only get stuff from democrats too. On the days right before the election I will get bombarded with very personalized pre-recorded phone calls from democrats and their Hollywood supporters. Nothing from republicans except emails at work from some guy named ONeill (everyone on the distribution list has a very Irish name).

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't expect to receive anything from the Texas Democratic Party. They haven't been able to organize their sock drawer in 30 years. I routinely hear from Jimmy Carter because we contribute to Habitat for Humanity. I get some Democratic Party mail because at one time I was a member of the ACLU, and those suckers never get tired of asking for money, but the letter from John "Bob" McCain was a surprise. I hadn't had much contact from them since I stop registering Republican. Interestingly, my membership to the Vietnam Veterans of America doesn't get me on any GOD-FEARING COMMIE HATING REPUBLICAN mailing lists. I mean, I know the Bushies hate Viet vets, but hey -- I'd guess about 90 percent of people who belong to military veteran organizations vote Republican. Go figure.

As for contributions, I've never given a nickel to any political party or any candidate, and -- until the day one of my wife's relatives runs for office -- I never will. I've never even clicked the "one dollar donation" block on my tax return. Similarly, I don't believe the tax-payers should subsidize elections via matching government funds, and I don't think there should be any campaign spending limits. Quite apart from the fact that elements of McCain-Feingold interfere with Freedom of Speech, the fact is that big corporations, big unions, and big PACs are going to get most of the attention from both parties. Why should I subsidize EXXON's lobbying by paying part of their campaign contributions?

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Since we'll never have no parties, I say bring back the Whigs, the Torries, the Federalists, and grow the Libertarian and Green parties. Heck, bring back H Ross even. The more the better. More parties would give you more overlap in commonalities between parties and ideally less partisanship. With just 2, it's too easy to draw a line down the middle and stand on one side or the other and not budge.

The above is all purely theoretical but if it didn't work, would we really be any worse the wear than our current do nothing crowd?