Lehmann on English Keepers

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, May 19, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

2. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

There certainly is a case for it (Calamity James, Paul "Screemer" Robinson, etc.) but when you look at the big picture there are only few good GK from any country. I wouldn't say it was only a problem England faces.

Edit
    As a side note, I think the USA is doing well in the GK department. Keller, Friedel, Hahnemann, and Howard all are first team starters at their Prem clubs.

3. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I've always said the US is one of the top places for goalkeepers to be found. The fact that Tim Howard could have been a first choice keeper at Man U says it all. Even playing with Everton is a worthy mention on his resume.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Don't forget that both Friedel and Howard have been EPL Best XI of the Season picks, and that Howard should have won it this season for a second time with a second club.

Oh, and Lehmann is a bitter, mentally unstable git. Having said that, I have NEVER seen English goalkeeping in such a horrible state.

5. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Agreed. Lehmann obviously had one crappy season. No one was behind him, and rightfully so. He does seem to spout off a bit too much.

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I loved the way Lehmann acted with no professionalism whatsoever when he got yanked after two bad mistakes in two games, refused to help Almunia, withdrew himself from being a productive member of Arsenal, and behaved like a spoiled 12 year old when he wasn't playing. What an abomination.

Although that doesn't make the status of England's GK crop any better. When Shilton and Banks were in the nets, who would have thought that a generation later Yank keepers would have displaced so many English ones in terms of quality.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

not to mention Czechs, Spaniards, Swedes, Danes, etc. etc. etc.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd diss Friedel but in his Sky interview, the sports guy asked him if Sport Crosstraining had anything to do with quality of US keepers, Brad swept it aside, saying that Prem experience was the key.

IDIOT! Liverpool hired him straight from the Crew, made him #2 to James immediately

It IS the crosstraining, {lateral movement, game vision} as much or more than discipline from academics.

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

You left out hand-eye coordination and the ability to catch a ball (sorry some of my old "soccer is stupid and gay" resurfacing).

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

You have a good point there. What's apparent {to me, anyway} that four year olds already have it but if you dont practice it, you might lose it.

I was thinking that all my HS good GK's during kids' careers played baseball {shortstop, catcher} and basketball.