Leeds Promoted

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, May 8, 2010.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Their long third tier nightmare is over

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... eport.html

It was a very dramatic game. It was scoreless but Leeds were dominating when Max Gradel was red-carded for stomping on Dan Jones foot. Gradel kept arguing with the ref so Beckford and other Leeds players tried to intervene, but Gradel started fighting them. When he finally calmed down he still wouldnt leave the field. I dont know what got him so mad and I wonder if he'll be disciplined further.

Down a man, Leeds gave up a goal shortly after the start of the second half. Then Grayson brought in Howson, a life-long Leeds supporter, and he scored to make it even on a beautiful shot from the top of the box. Leeds kept pushing and creating chances and finally Beckford scored the winner.

At the whistle the fans invaded the pitch and it was hard not to smile for them. Leeds belongs in the Championship. They say Beckford is off to Everton; I wish Fulham could get him. He is a good player with a good attitude.

2. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

The winner came off a howler by the Rovers keeper. Threw the ball right to a Leeds forward just outside the box who played it over to Beckford.

I think they said it had been 20 years since Leeds' last promotion (into the old 1st Division).

3. general125

general125 New Member

The only thing I know about Leeds comes from reading "The Damned Utd." Great book that I highly recommend, the movie wasn't nearly as good.

4. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I liked the movie, but I have not read the book.

Anyway - I DVR'd the match just to see the stamp and resulting melee.

What an idiot. Pretty sloppy in league 1. Should be interesting to see if they have recovered and are going to make it in the championship.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Until the Don Revie era, Leeds were basically a strong second-tier side for the most part. The amazing part of this story is that the club survived corporate idiocy. They believed that they could compete monetarily with United and Liverpool and Arsenal, and it almost destroyed them. Perhaps they'll be happy to settle, at least for a while, for what is an appropriate future for a club in their area with support like theirs -- CCC/Prem yo-yo team, along with West Brom, Sunderland, Birmingham City, Wolves, and [I hope] Burnley.

6. Jensers

Jensers New Member

What I have found interesting are those folks that supported Leeds during my college playing days (We had a handful of guys at the 2 places I played from England) - Now they have moved on to support Chelski or Man Utd or (Gack) Arsenal.

No Liverpool supporters tho - which is an interesting note.

Anyway... I really enjoyed watching Leeds with these guys in the early days of Fox Sports World. They are a part of the PL culture so it would be good to see them in the prem every once in a while.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Jens, you should have seen them in the 1970s. Regardless of what you got from That Damned United, they were not a bunch of mugging cheats. They had their tough guys, but they could play some seriously attractive football. I watched a lot of their matches, including a few at Elland Road, and I'd have taken Clark, Bremner, Charlton, Cooper, and Lorimer over even their great sides of the 90s.

I love Brian Clough, but his problem with Leeds was not so much about his disdain for their style as it was his absolute schoolgirl jealously of Don Revie.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I would take Don's word on this. Read the wiki on them and really look between the lines.

I could be clouded by what I saw of them on their nineties US summer tour but decided there had to be more to the club than what I saw on the pitch or the ten or so poor sod fans that showed up in the stands.

Counterpoint Newcastle; where I decided there must be less than met the eye.

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I've gone back and forth on them, but I have to say that a club with their stature should be in the Prem. Better than Hull, that's for sure.