Lee Clark's future

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by martin, May 18, 2005.

1. martin

martin New Member

Is he staying or leaving? BBC Sport can't seem to make up their minds. Here, they say he is staying:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 551803.stm

Meanwhile, they also say he is leaving:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 557985.stm

Can anyone shed some light on the issue? I got the impression that he was a Chris Coleman favorite due to his experience and hard work. But he's also getting old, maybe a bit slow, and has injury problems. Will he be our skipper again next season?

Cheers,
    Martin

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Lee Clark

From what I understand, Lee Clark wants to stay and Cookie probably wants him to stay, but he does not want to pay Clakie the wages he is wanting.

I am not sure how much Lee Clark makes, but he has been on the same contract since his transfer from Newcastle and I cannot imagine him being worth the amount of money he is asking for or currently making.

Thus, his weekly wages are the hang-up from what I can gather.

3. martin

martin New Member

RE: Lee Clark

I'd like to see him stay, but I can understand CC not wanting to pay too much. I have seen too many teams get burned by offering big contracts to aging veterans.

I read somewhere that Clarkie could end up at Wigan. That could be a good fit. He's been through promotion and the whole relegation dogfight, so his experience would be valuable to Wigan. He could be a stabilizing force for a newly-promoted club that is sure to struggle.