Last Album?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by GaryBarnettFanClub, Nov 28, 2006.

1. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I was roundly abused at work today when asked what the last album I bough/illegally downloaded was. My response is not important - needless to say it led to howls of derision from my esteemed colleagues....

So my question to all you out there in Fulham cyberspace is" What was the last album you bough/illegally downloaded?"

America Mike - if it is Viva El Fulham then I respectfully suggest that, no matter how much I like this site, you lie! From here on in I am maintining that the Razorlights new album was purchased recently (I am adopting the liar approach).

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

To be exact, via BMG Music back in August:

Social Distortion
    Social Distortion

The Soft Bulletin 5.1 (1 CD/ 1 DVD-Audio)
    The Flaming Lips

A User's Guide To They Might Be Giants: Melody, Fidelity, Quantity
    They Might Be Giants

Greatest Hits - Planet Bad
    Big Audio Dynamite

Songlines
    The Derek Trucks Band

The Best Of The Alarm
    The Alarm

Come Dancing With The Kinks: The Best Of 1977-1986
    The Kinks

3. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

the Foo Fighters Skin and Bones though im still looking for the DVD part

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Saw the commercial for that. Is it good? Is it a live best of?

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

For me it was the Killers latest effort, Sam's Town. I have not been too impressed with it either. Their first album is much better.

6. RDG

RDG Member

Last week, I picked up The Killers' "Hot Fuss" which is a great album. (I had heard others say that the recent one isn't so hot.)

I have never downloaded, legally or ill.

My most recent vinyl (yes, I do think it actually sounds better and have a good turntable) was Coldplay's "A Rush of Blood to the Head". Not worth the effort. I had hoped to pick up the U2 most recent greatest hits in vinyl, but have only heard rumors of it existing.

Oh, the best of The Alarm -- isn't that, like, a single?? (Kidding!! I happen to like the first album.)

And now, I am most intrigued as to what GBFC's purchase was. It boggles the mind. . .

7. GaryBarnettFanClub

It was an English folk singer called John Tams, the album was called the Reconing. This is a departure from my usual choice. I try to wait 5 years after it has been released before I buy an album to make sure I like it!

The last album I bought on the day of release was Queen - A Kind of Magic in 1986 when I was 12.

The last chart album I bought was Razorlight debut and I am going to pick up the new one in the week.

The main reason for the post was I am looking for inspiration for new music from current artists.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I was waiting for The Alarm joke to go off! You are just about right. Ahhh, but it reminds me of my youth.

9. fulham_local_21

fulham_local_21 New Member

Muse : blackholes & revlations

Razorlight : razorlight

The Clash : the Singles

10. rumstove

rumstove New Member

The last CD I bought was Kasabian's newest album Empire. Best band currently around? hell yeah.

and, at the risk of AmericanMike laughing (or anyone else), I'll admit that I just ordered Lily Allen's CD from Amazon yesterday.

11. BC

BC New Member

My most recent purchase (for myself, not as a Christmas gift for someone else) was Blood Mountain by Mastodon. If you like metal that is well crafted and smart, you'll love this album. Think Tool mixed with Fugazi with a dash of Dillinger Escape Plan.

12. ADAM4FULHAM

ADAM4FULHAM New Member

my last album woz liberration transmition by lost profits it rawks man

13. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I just did the same. Don't really know if I should be proud or ashamed, not a music type. No where am I more out of my depth than in a record shop, but hey she sounds good to me and I think shes got a nice smile :big grin:

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, she's a Fulham chick, isn't she? Isn't her dad the one who leads a group called the Cottagers? Saw her on the Today Show last week and was very impressed.

Last CD I bought? The [relatively] new Dixie Chicks album. What can I say, I'm a sucker for multi-part harmony.

And GBFC, the last album I bought on the day of its release was Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, at WH Smiths in Bedford. I brought it back to the barracks and played it in the company of about 4 or 5 other pickers/singers and we just shook our heads in amazement.

15. GaryBarnettFanClub

How cool is that. I used to listen to Sgt. Peppers and Help over and over when I was a kid.

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I recently bought a few albums....

Idlewild's new one, Kasabian's new one, Kaiser Chiefs new one and the last two albums by Say Hi To Your Mom. I can't comment much on the first three but the Say Hi To Your Mom stuff is good.

17. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Before joining the i-pod revolution and started downloading songs instead of albums, the last full album bought was Rush in Rio. Already have some lawn seats when they come to Irvine in July.

18. Fulham_Adam

Fulham_Adam New Member

Just bought 'We'll live and die in these streets' by 'the enemy'. Absolutely love it, very catchy album, like the Pigeon Detectives but even better.

19. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

Our Love To Admire - Interpol.

Solid album, not the best from them though. But I'm hooked on "The Heinrich Maneuver".

20. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I bought it myself and quite frankly I have been disappointed with it. Compared to their first two it does not come close. Perhaps it will grow on me more with time, but thus far I am far from impressed.

What is sad is that I thought their first two records were fantastic. I was expecting more of the same with this new one but it was not the case for me and my ears.

To me, the album is missing something. Perhaps the energy and intensity of the last two records is not there. It almost sounds like the band is just going through the motions. That makes it an okay record, but not a great record and I am used to great Interpol records.