Lamar Hunt 1932 - 2006

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Dec 12, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Stories search {link fixed}

2. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

RE: Lamar Hunt fighting for life

The U.S. Cup is named after him. He's been a great sponsor towards the rise of soccer and MLS in the United States. I wish all the best for his family through this ordeal and whatever happens with Lamar, I pray he'll suffer as little as possible.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Same here.

I can't think of Lamar Hunt without thinking of how, much like MLS, he created the AFL [now AFC] out of just guts, will, and a lot of money. After the first season as owner of the Dallas Texans [now chiefs], his father HL Hunt was asked by a reporter what he thought of his boy losing a million dollars on a minor football league. HL's response? "A million dollars! Keep that up and he'll be broke in 50 years or so!"

You can't measure what the guy has meant for fitba in the US.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Rest in Peace, Lamar.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2697040

Soccer Pioneer article:

5. pettyfog

In the Hall Of Fame for THREE sports... including Tennis.

American Football
    Founder of the American Football League (1960-1969)
    - Founder and owner of the Dallas Texans, which moved and were called the Kansas City Chiefs;
    - inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1972;
    - credited with coming up the term "Super Bowl".
    - AFC Championship Trophy named for him

Soccer
    ! co-founder of the North American Soccer League (1967-84);
    ! inducted into the National Soccer Hall of Fame in 1992
    ! co-founder of Major League Soccer;
    ! founder and owner of Columbus Crew, current owner of FC Dallas
    - Built first modern soccer stadium in US, private money
    ! US Soccer Open Cup named for him

Other
    Was one of the founding investors of the NBA's Chicago Bulls;
    co-founded World Championship Tennis and was made a member of the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 1993

How Lamar changed the sports world

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Listening to various ESPN sources and watching the International wires, I am beginning to get upset about the off-hand coverage.

I dont think people understand exactly WHAT impact Lamar had on modern pro sports. He's linked with the Mara and Rooney families as to NFL, besides founding AFL/AFC.

But those two were the NFL 'Old Guard' who wanted to keep things as they were; causing him to START the AFL and he worked with the other owners to apply sound marketing and ownership principles... something that hasnt been done since.

It was Hunt's principles that provided the seed of management which makes the NFL the ONLY high profile league that's profitable for all the franchises as well as the players.

Without the AFC, Pete Rozelle would have had nothing to do.

Without the above, it's highly likely that two EPL teams wouldnt have American owners.. you can judge for yourself whether that's bad or good, but true nonetheless.

Hunt started the NASL, and it's not his fault that the Cosmos took them overboard into oblivion.
    - that he put so much into MLS showed that he never gave up the dream.
    - that his SECOND MLS team was put in Columbus showed he understood what he learned with the Chiefs... if you build it, they will come.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RIP Lamar!!

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Re: RE: Lamar Hunt fighting for life

Great post, Petty.

Thanks, Lamar.

"And so it goes." Billy Pilgrim

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Lamar Hunt fighting for life

Thanks Petty for the great post about Hunt. No question his contribution to sports in the US is immence. The fact that he was very understated in nature is probably reflecting the coverage his passing is getting.

9. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: Lamar Hunt fighting for life

Perhaps, my passion for him is better explained by the fact that, at the time I bought Crew season tickets, the major sports franchise owners in Ohio were:

Art Modell
    Marge Schott
    Mike Brown

I never could quite take on the Chiefs as 'my team' but I appreciated him even before..

" The polar opposite of Jerry Jones"
    - Skip on 'Cold Pizza'
    - - - - - - -- - - -
    Also From Wiki:

Just business, to be sure... but McConnell never did a damn thing about NHL until Lamar showed HE believed in the Columbus sports market.
    Just ONE of the reasons why I'm not ga-ga over the CBJ... and proof that perhaps there IS a 'sports karma'.
    Since CBJ continue to suck, no matter what they do..

10. pettyfog

Re: RE: Re: RE: Lamar Hunt fighting for life

Now, several days later, the news is full of testimonials ... and the wonder is that, if you read them, you know there are hundreds maybe thousands more out there.
    He was born rich. He always WAS, by most measures, rich.. but he never 'acted rich'.
    Now we know he always flew coach class, and {because he} enjoyed being with people.
    He drove the same cars for years
    Once he knew you, he ALWAYS knew you.. and everything you ever spoke about.

In fact he lived like, dressed like and acted like he was middle class Joe-Blow who just happened to be in the right place all the time.

Lamar Hunt ‘was just wonderful’

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Lamar Hunt fighting for life

I did hear Chris Mortenson on ESPN radio calling him "the greatest american sportsman of the last 50 years", looking at his bio makes it hard to argue.