Klinsmann USMNT Coach?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by TonyTX42, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

You ever see someone and think he's probably a pretentious twerp who probably had not too many friends when he was younger and could barely run 10 yards without falling down? And now he is in charge of OUR U.S. Soccer program???

Let's hope he doesn't hurt himself whipping his phone out of his hipside holster calling his mother to tell her what a bigshot he is now. Wait, let's hope he does.

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Crap! WTF? We waited 6 months for this?

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Don, I am beside myself pissed-off.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and you're not alone, pard

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

If anyone is interested in joining the venting on Big Soccer:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447603

Funny, Not Funny At All quote of the day:

"Sunil is a great guy. He's always been a good friend. I think he's a superfan who now is president. That's the way our organization is. That's unfortunate, and you add another micromanager to an organization that's already micromanaged. I don't think that's necessarily good. He's a guy who loves the game, who wants to be important and be around the world of bigwigs at FIFA, and he's going to get that opportunity." - Bruce Arena

8. psand22

psand22 Member

I thought that this could / would happen. I'm guessing the USSF wouldn't give up the powers that a head coach deserves and Klinsmann didn't want to go into this with his hands tied.

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Bob Effin' Bradley??? Enough said.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So much for South Africa 2010.

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Yeah.. first one called to camp:

Anton Razov!

:twisted:

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Losing Klinsmann is bad, but what an obviously terrible job of negotiating Sunil and U.S. Soccer did. I'm sure many of us know that one of the paramount things to consider when you sit down at the table with someone is knowing your position of power. In this case U.S. Soccer had some, but Klinsmann arguably had more. Knowing that, as Don points out, why wait 6 months to try to negotiate this deal. U.S. Soccer's position wasn't going to get any better by waiting, only worse.

Now we are really in the hole on the next candidate. Way to go, Sunil!! You the man! At least your momma thinks so.

13. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

And this is why we don't put all of our eggs into one basket. I wasn't a huge fan of Klinsmann. He had a nice world cup (with an equally nice home-field advantage), but hasn't done much else. I never really understood what made him so special, other than name recognition. And if that's all we're worried about, why not just hire Mike Ditka?

14. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Hey, Ditka showed some promise in "Kicking and Screaming".
    (Remember, I have a 3 year old.)

15. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Bradley is an interim, Bradley is an interim, that's all I keep saying to myself, trying to calm down at this HORRIBLE HORRIBLE JOB BY THE USSF!!!

Bradley is an interim...will he last past January? I hope there's a full time head coach by then, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

16. pettyfog

Bradley is an Interim for six months.. that's alright.

Gives the whole of the USSF some time to think. And replace Gulati.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, actually, he's "interim" until 2008 with a guarantee of "the chair" for the 2008 Olympics.

I'm not sure even 2008 will be enough time for USSF "to think." We are an international joke. I can see us not qualifying for the WC despite having players starting in the Prem, the Bundesliga, and in France and Holland, and despite the MLS being a top flight developmental league.

Who do these turkeys think they are? They hired a good guy, but they hired an MLS guy not as capable nor as experienced as the MLS guy they just fired. It's like Arsenal firing Arsene Venger to hire Paul Jewell. Just doesn't make sense.

18. pettyfog

Umm... I dont think USSF is necessarily any more clueless than any other national body.

Sven Goren Er... ah, you know what I mean.

I have to say that I view this with some level of relief. If JK had insisted on Sigi,(the U-20 experience beside) and Gulati had weaseled the Hunts into it, the Crew might as well fold up and leave.
    I know that's strong but I have no faith in Bobby Warzycha (who would have got the job) to get the team right.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Sigh...why all the hating on Gulati? The only thing I see that he did wrong was he tried too hard to sign Klinsmann when he could never have given him what he wanted. I read an article where it said Bruce Arena was given so much power that he basically abused it to the point where he and was no longer on speaking terms with some USSF board members. The USSF rightly or wrongly did not want to go down that path again. And I suspect that some board members were never going to budge on some of the control issues (after Arena), and Gulati should have realized that earlier. And the USSF should have cut bait 2-3 months ago, if they were so far apart on agreeing to terms for a contract with Klinsmann.

Gulati is new, I am willing to give him some slack. I heard he is very intelligent and very approachable, he sounds the complete opposite of complete ego-maniac. Personally, I like people like that in charge. But hopefully he grows a firm backbone and realizes he needs to stand firm and make descisions a lot quicker.

I'll live with Bradley for the short term. Hopefully, things change with the USSF's collective psychology and are willing to change their good ol' boy approach.

20. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Here is my question, what are these power struggles being referred to in a number of posts? The power over what? Selections? Training sites? Coaches?