Klinsmann USMNT Coach?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by TonyTX42, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's the thing. Regardless of who the coach is, there is no benefit whatsoever to keeping him away from his team and players one second beyond the decision being made and the argreements being reached.

Just at the time that our players are garnering respect for us on the world stage, our leadership at USSF [and MLS for that matter] makes us all look like a bunch of rubes in Fitba World.

Jeezus; get off the friggin' dime, why don cha?

2. psand22

psand22 Member

I think Ole Sunil and the US Soccer Federation are playing alittle hard ball. They don't want to give the next coach the power that Arena had. That's fine, if they want to pull someone up from the MLS or some journeyman.

If they want to hire a Klinsmann or a Pekerman, they need to give them the power to make decisions. Let them put their stamp on US Soccer. The Fed will eventually come around, because a quality coach won't take the job and all the hassles. If these two don't take the job, who knows what we could end up with.

The Federation needs to step up and give Klinsmann the reigns and stop dragging this hiring out. He's a great fit.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

On the last three comments, I agree with all of that to an extent and I think the current team is being kept aprised... that's how Cherundolo came out.

It IS a game of hardball and it's important that all that stuff is ironed out by time of contract. Once the HC is chosen USSF shoulld step back and stay silent.

I think that Arena was, in the end, exposed as a little over his head. But i agreed, and still do, that he should have had the full set of reins.

You appoint the guy and let him do his job... if he doesnt, you give him a couple warnings, behind the scenes, and if it doesnt work out, fire him.

4. psand22

psand22 Member

I agree. Let's hope all of the rumors are true and the USSF and Klinsmann come to terms....sooner than later. I think it's a great opportunity for everyone.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Couldn't agree more. If you're not ready to support the guy in the room, don't put the guy in the room.

6. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I don't know what to think. If this nonsense about Klinsman not taking over until '08 is true it would seem he's jerking the fed around cause he knows they want him bad and that he doesn't really have the passion for the job that he should. Hopefully its just false rumor junk, if its true I don't want him to manage the USNats.

Or the Fed is power happy and Klins is just fighting for the powers he deserves as USNat manager. Arena said in his post WC interview that Gulati becoming Fed President was unfortunate because it puts a micro manager in charge of a organization of micro managers.

7. pettyfog

That rumor doesnt even pass the least common sense test.
    1. That would mean JK is naming his caretakers, and essentially takes over Gulati's role.
    2. If his surrogates succeeded what would we need JK for?
    3. Gulati would just hang up or walk away on that proviso.
    And Arena is right, probably

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

If Klinsi is named the US head coach, is there any ideas on who would become the tactician? For Germany Klinsmann had Joachim Löw as his right hand guy, (a former VFB Stuttgart manager :wink:)and handle the tactics. And Löw is now the head coach for Germany, so what would happen for the US? Sigi? :?

9. pettyfog

Andrea Canales thinks so.

Sigi's between a rock and a hard place. He has principles...

He came into Columbus and blew up the Crew, confident he could get some rebuilding results in 2006. But there were a slew of injuries that made it impossible to get the team in any sort of form.

So the Crew actually ended up in worse shape than the previous season which led to him getting the job. Sigi has promised he will not walk away from this mess he has created.

I can tell you this... there may actually be lawsuits if Sigi accepts a Nat team fulltime job. But I dont think he will.

So I hope it's Pietr Nowak!

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Err...I HOPE NOT!!! The 3 man back line killed DC United towards the end of the season. I'm thinking (or hoping) Klinsmann will have to look outside the country to find his new tactician. I'm not thrilled about the MLS choices. Maybe Bradley?

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I agree with Heather saying look outside the country. If we are making a big jump in hiring a foreign manager, let's let him be the one who decides who his right hand man will be. If that person is American, great, if he is from another country, so be it. Whatever Klinsmann wants, he should have the power to make such a decision.

12. pettyfog

I disagree with oyu guys... dont have to go outside to find someone who can do tactics.

HOWEVER, what's missing is the skills coach. And that isnt the same. Bring in a skills coach from outside.

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I think we are arguing different points here Petty. I do not care where the tactician and the skills coaches comes from. My point is that I think the new manager, hopefully Klinsmann, has the choice of who he wants.

I am not saying there are not any qualified candidates here in the States, but I also think it is important that Klinsmann has someone around him he is comfortable with and has a rappoire with. If that person is American great, if not, that is great too. Either way, it should be Klinsmann's decision.

14. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I agree but at this point I don't see someone in the US who has world class tactical ability.

Nowak- no look at the playoffs and his subs
    Bradley- no not sold, poor playoff tactics
    Sigi- hell no he was brutal at the U-20 WC
    Sarachan- an outside chance I could be sold but we could find much better abroad

I don't know who else? With Klinsmans knowledge I'm sure he has a good tactician in mind.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think an American will have to be on his team, and I think it'll be someone with MLS cachet. If that's the case and if Sigi is honor bound to stay with the Crew, I go with Bradley. That being said, I think he'll need more than one assistant.

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

17. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Thats brutal. Until I hear otherwise I'm going to assume that Sunil was just far to power happy.

If true it sure makes Trecker look like a dumba$$. But I already thought of him as that.

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Wow, after trying for 5 months to sign the guy it ends like this. I feel sick somehow.

Pekerman? Are you still available?

19. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

This is a freakin' joke and the only person I blame for this mess is Sunil Gulati. What is this guy's deal? If he is power hungry, why the hell was he hired in the first place.

Everyone can say how bad it was for the US to wait so long, but to me we do not look like idiots for waiting so long, but we look like idiots because the guy we wanted astonishingly turned us down after numerous reports said he was on his way earlier this week.

USSF is a freakin' joke!!

20. pettyfog

Dang, that sux...

I dont care much for Gulati, but I sure hope it wasnt his fault.