Klinsmann USMNT Coach?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by TonyTX42, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Everybody goes for the hot European blondes. Sigh.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well, looks like it's a lock for Heather's Juergen cutie pie.

Why else would he be attending Coach K's leadership seminar. I mean at this particular point in time.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Stevie, I love you man, but loose lips sink ships.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Well, Pele thinks Klinsmann would be good for the "US boys." Does that mean that he won't be good? I've heard that a lot of Pele predictions turn out badly.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15972619/

Interesting tid-bit:

6. MiaFFCmi

MiaFFCmi New Member

I would be happy with either to be honest. Alot of people discount what Klinsmann did for the German side in the World Cup by saying the host team always does well.....well I have a friend in Germany who was saying that he had done a pretty darned good job with that side.

7. pettyfog

If Klinsmann converted his older German star critics to his side, who is anyone else to say he didnt ... or wouldnt..do a good job.

8. DCDave

DCDave Member

The USMNT manager's job isn't the best job in the football world. It's good, but there are certainly better.

To get a guy like Klinsmann, with his international credentials, and with him living in the US already and seemingly interested in promoting the game at all levels, let's just say if it happenns then we're very lucky.

9. pettyfog

Lets look at it as a 'quality of life' issue:

Where else, given his history and experiences, can he do such a high level job with such a low-level profile?
    ...without being constantly hounded by the press and fans.

LA isnt the best place for that... the Mid-West is, which is why so many Bengals players retire in Cincinnati but it certainly must be an attraction for many.
    And certainly better than 'back home' if you just want all the amenities of the good life while being able to move out and about without constant bothering.

Beckham wont get quite such low-profile treatment in LA, but it will be better than if he goes to London.

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Good story on Klinsmann about to named US head coach within two weeks

[Edit: I just noticed Trecker is the writer...hmm, okay it's good, IF it's true]

A lot of the sticking points that were mentioned earlier seems to be true; his deal with adidas and wanting more power than the Federation wanted to give.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Remember when I was being impatient about this because "we said we'd name someone in November?" Tap, tap, tap.

Remember November?

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I am now hoping we have someone named in time for the January friendly against Denmark. That would be embarrassing if we had to cancel because we couldn't work out the details of someone's contract.

I keep telling myself that Klinsmann was hired at least a month ago, but the USSF is just waiting for the perfect moment to announce it. Well, it's what I keep telling myself. :?

13. pettyfog

Yeah... Trecker being the source certainly raises a 'niggle', though sometimes he IS dead on and this may be one of those times.

As to how much power JK should have, that bothered me for about 30 seconds. There's a good argument that the 'U-" teams have underachieved. I dont think USSF can make a good case for kepping them independent, considering that.

And another kink in THAT is that Sigi was front and center, there... so WHY would JK want him as right-hand man!

Something Trecker points out, that hasnt been thought of much, is JK becoming the 'face' of US soccer... and the PR effects of that, esp for talking head sport shows. Arena wasnt too bad on air, but he certainly wasnt much for attracting interest.
    Trying to think of one who sparked interest like we'd want it, just on "On Air" demeanor and personality.

I come up with Steve Spurrier.. but I'm sure I'm missing someone even more so. Unless it would be Sam Wyche (for us that have been around a while)

Hope he aint Bill Purcells.. or should I.

14. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

15. pettyfog

Uh... yeah, that's the article we're discussing, alright.
    ;)

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Missed that. So nice, had to post twice!

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Not what I wanted to hear or see. Are we any closer to signing a coach than we were 5 months ago? You would think so, but what's the delay?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 40&cc=5901

18. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

This deal is going to happen. There might be a few things not quite sorted yet, but to me this is not a matter of if, but when it will get done. Jurgen is going to be our manager. I trust Trekker.

19. dirtyboy

dirtyboy New Member

This is beyond frustrating already. If Bob Bradley, or some other MLS coach, sits on the bench as an interim coach in January I’ll be sick.

The team normally has a two-week camp in January (Before the Denmark match), that’s only a month away.

For the record I’ll bedisapointed if we hire anyone but Klinsmann. I think the US team is fine in the back and midfield, however our finishing is atrocious and I think Klinsmann can help fix that.

20. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Another reason Klinsmann wil be the coach and the Germans don't mind one bit?

The largest ethnic group of European ancestry in the United States is German at 15.2%.

Dunno if it makes a difference, but I like to think so. (completely biased opinion)