Kiwis + Jesus = "How to beat your kids!"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Smokin', Jul 20, 2006.

1. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3736210a11,00.html

Not being a parent yet, I was wondering if there was a proper technique to keeping my children in line.

Leave it to the Kiwi inspiratons from Jesus to pass down such important life instructions.

I think as a kid I got hit twice and threatened the rest of the time... it worked.... sorta.

2. RDG

RDG Member

Personally, I love the part about witnesses for cross examination.

Hey, wait a minute, the stuff about the bamboo and the riding crop . . . I usually have to pay a woman a lot of
    money to do that once a month . . .

:3d smile:

3. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

"Mr Smith said last night the brochure was written for a Christian audience and outlined the biblical philosophy of child punishment. Many Christians did not want to see smacking banned as that would take away parental authority, but he conceded the brochure would appear as "total nonsense" to non-Christians."

I think this applies to most material meant for a "Christian Audience".

RDG,

They must be hitting you very hard if you are enjoying it... afterall "if the child is angry after the smack, you didnt hit him HARD enough."

4. RDG

RDG Member

Don't need to! You forget, I'm a "non-Christian"!!

Hey, if the kid's still angry after you've beaten the stuffing out of him, he's probably still alive, at least. My parents just used guilt. Works just as well.

5. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I hear the Jewish guilt is physically painful.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

So... modern civilization began with the advent of child rearing experts such as Benjamin Spock?!!!!!

would you please note this is about applying a 'smack', not beating senseless! Which has been done for tens of thousands of years... but attitude toward it changed only in the last 75 or so.

So.. when did the world begin, Smokin? With the birth of your parents.. or your grandparents.. or did it start with you?

7. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Indeed Petty,

If you were to ask me, I would say it would have started at my birth, but I have to be wrong, I've seen pictures of my mother when she was a baby.

I see you point, and there is no arguement here... I'm curious, and I actually like how you leveled this one... but...

If the Greek Orthodox church released a pamphlet stating how to molest young boys, would you counter my post about said hypothetical publication with, well the Greeks and Spartans were doing it long before that stuff became illegal?

The point here is that something like this should not be left up to the interpretations of a church, and I'll express why. Some people arent very stable and would take this "permission" to smack your kids as a license to beat kids senseless... which is why the article has so much attention.

What if the kid develops a tolerance for smacking? Do you just keep hitting him harder???

Mr. Spock actually never reared a kid, and in my simpleton world, that disqualifies him as an expert... logically... (my jokes get worse)

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Discipline is not abuse. Pedophilia is abuse.

But pedophilia is nothing new, either... the difference is that when it was found out, the abuser often got 'disappeared' .

And, by the way, something like that some DEFINITELY be left up to the church. It's not that the congregation is going to be a cult of child beaters.

Putting this issue in the hands of those who spent 4 years learning how to discipline a child.. IN THEORY ...and making them the arbiter of what is right and wrong is exactly how not to do it.

I actually DO believe that you should have to attend a 15 hour course on parenting before bearing a child, but that has its own downside.

If te kid WANTS to get hit, you do the opposite.. and yes, I knew of that happening.

They should have drowned the sumbitch.

{that's MY joke...sorta}