Keegan Out??

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Sep 2, 2008.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Meant to start the annual First Manager Sacked Poll (I thought Curbishley was a shoe in), but it looks like the craziness on Tyneside has beaten us to the punch w/Kevin Keegan apparently out at Newcastle. Obviously the last minute sale of James Milner was something KK couldn't handle.

There is no better reality show/soap opera than "How the Magpies World Turns"

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It's funny, SCJ, because the odds-on first manager fired this year was Mark Hughes. That was due to what was seen as the imminent financial collapse of Man City. Instead ... .

Don't worry; Curbishly should be next. After all, they've sold pretty much his starting 11.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

4. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

RE: As the premier league turns

Ready for the shift in power? We all saw how quickly Roman's 13 billion pound financial backing turned Chelsea around and now Man City has the backing of the Abu Dhabi United Group Investment with a staggering 500 billion pounds. This group is quite literally worth more than the combined financial backing of every football owner in the world.

The Man City ownership group is motivated, brash and unafraid to put their money where their mouth is. RVN, Huntelaar, Mario Gomez, Villa and Berbatov were all targeted by the new owners and they're aiming high. Reportedly they offered a 'blank cheque' to Real Madrid for RVN at the deadline. I am interested to see how the 'big four' respond to a new contender.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whoops... Didn't see it was a Keegan titled thread. Just thought it was the latest 'drama' or buzz in the prem. Apologies, but I already typed it out so I am posting it.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

As the premier league turns

and which little black duck was it that picked West Ham for a relegation position? When they couldn't pony up for a charter plane for their tour of the US this summer, the writing was on the wall. Their owner's bank got hammered in the international mortgage crisis, and they're selling everything they can to balance the books.

If they do indeed get relegated because of the sub-prime scandal, it will be the one positive impact of the GWB administration. :banana:

6. SoCalJoe

As the Premier League Turns

The happiest gaffer on the planet has got to be Mark Hughes, he has to be thinking what he did to deserve this kind of luck (the pressure will now be turned up though).

The sickest gaffer on the planet has got to be Sven Goran Erikkson. The guy takes Citeh to their best ever finish, his team doubles on ManUre, he gets unjustly canned, and now instead of holding the keys to the kingdom he's watching more Mexican League games than he ever imagined.

Curbs; once the fire sale starts and its obvious there is no cash, it was only a matter of time. As they've shown so far w/2 blow out wins, there is probably enough quality for them to stay up, but their 'bubbles' could pop w/an injury or two to Ashton and Bellamy.

Newcastle; I remember the thread last year when Big Sam was shown the door, and learning that instability, insecurity, and plain goofiness was how the club has operated over the past 40+ years. Exactly how Keegan could still have the players attention if he returns (or did he never leave? 8) ) is beyond me, but in Geordie-land it's business as usual.

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Newcastle is the longest running bad joke in professional sports. Sometimes I wish their streak of a bazillion years with no trophies continues until we are all dead and gone. The rest of the time I wish their fans would just shut up already.

8. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

As a Knicks fan, I'm highly offended by this statement. :wink:

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

How careless of me to overlook them :big grin:

10. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Last night, Pacific time, they said the SPAT as it were, with the owner Ashley, I think his name is, was over selling that a-hole Barton to Portsmouth. It seems Keegan wanted to keep him and Ashley wanted him off. Perhaps Keegan hijacked the sale, but word was Keegan walked out, and was not sacked. This was on Setanta late last night. Not sure if any of it is true though.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

That's true as far as it goes, but it was also true that -- without KK's concurrence -- Newcastle were shopping MIchael Owen and Alan Smith during the last day of the transfer window. You HAVE to let the gaffer determine who he's going to coach. And, if you're Keegan, if you don't have that power, they're trying to get you t quit

12. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Agreed. Most likely why he walked out.

13. SoCalJoe

Keegan's Evil Twin Back From The Dead

The daily soap opera that is Newcastle United (oxymoron?) continues with a big factor being....cash (big shock :shock: )

Per sky sports if Keegan is sacked the club will owe him $2 million, if he quits he will owe the club the same amount.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, we can get rid of the question mark in the thread title. Keegan is gone. The ultimate quitter quits again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 593683.stm

I think that they reached a million quid settlement, and the boy is really gone. He says he has only the best wishes in mind, but the way he managed his exit guarantees problems ahead for Ashley and Wise. The club is in bigger turmoil now than they were when he arrived. Nice one, Kev.

I've already been hearing rumors of Gordon Strachan leaving the hoops to take over. We'll see

15. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I concur!!

Anywho, Keegan during much happier days:

[​IMG]

16. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Maybe Keegan remembered that he had a bet on Curbs as the first manager out?