Karmic Justice Anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Dec 29, 2007.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

First, let me say to all my GA acquaintences on this site -- as well as those Gator-hating denizens of FLA's Redneck Riviera -- I have absolutely nothing against your Bulldogs. Especially since they don't play in the ACC and, as a result, whup up on my Terrapins very often.

Having said that, let me say that I really want UGA to lose to Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl. I mean I REALLY want them to WIN by anywhere from 17-28 points. I want them to DOMINATE a very good SEC team in the heartland of the south.

Why? Because of the @%@#^& BCS! At Thanksgiving, any speculation that Hawaii would be this year's Boise State and show up the BCS was discarded by assurances that Hawaii would lose its next two games against Boise State and Washington State and play itself out of contention. Well, they won both games. As a matter of fact, when they beat a Top-20 Boise State team, they actually dropped in the polls from 9 to 11! And when it came time to pick the two humpties to play for a "National Championship" they picked one team with one loss and the one 2-loss team that stunk the least, oh and was from the same state as the "national championship game." Meanwhile, the ONLY undefeated team is put into a matchup that ensures they won't go very far up the standings evrn if they win.

Now I don't care a lot about pointy football. That's a good attitude if you root for Maryland. :D But I do care about justice. And I'm sick of this "let's get together and call a team the National Champion for no good reason." So with apologies to Jonathan Swift, here's my own "Modest Proposal."

1. Scrap the BCS.
    2. Keep the bowl games. Let's have some tradition. You know, like the winner of the Michigan/Ohio State game gets upset in the Rose Bowl and the loser goes to one of the southern bowls. The Florida team who has a better record than the other two Florida teams hosts the Orange Bowl, and the best team in the nation hosts the Sugar Bowl.
    3. LET'S ANNOUNCE ONCE AND FOR ALL THAT THERE IS NO NATIONAL CHAMPION IN DIV 1AA FOOTBALL.
    4. If the TV networks and the big time school boosters want, they can arrange their own matchup after the bowls featuring the two teams that a majority of voters [internet poll] believes are the best two in the nation. They can then play on the "off Sunday" before the Super Bowl. Each school will receive a butt-load of money from the bowl sponsors, every penny of which will go to reduce the cost of tuition and lodging for non-full ride students at the school. Not a single penny from the game will go to the Athletic Department or any "building fund."
    5. The NCAA will announce that the winner of THAT game will STILL not be the National Champion.

There, I feel all better now!

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I hope you DO feel better. 'cause no-way no-how there's NOT gonna be a national champ named, no matter playoffs or not.

Then the argument would be that Hawaii didnt make it to the final four. At some point there is ALWAYS an arbitrary decision that someone will cry about.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree with everything you just said, 'fog [0739 CST, 11/31]. See my points 3 and 5.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Emphasis narrows focus of issue.. e.g.; Mens NCAA BB Championships.

And if there's no national champ named, perhaps we should consider the nature of the games themselves... wouldnt it be MORE fair if neither team had to actually suffer a loss? I mean think about what it does to the campus spirit and the players' sense of self-esteem.

We could give out trophies for 'trying hard'... oh, wait.. that's judgemental too.

Well, participation plaques, then.