Jozy Altidore

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryP, Jul 1, 2009.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Yeah Baby!

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

BarryP. Yeah, I thought that last phrase was the best quote I've read in a long while. I may add it to my profile.

"... we just need to get a bit of devil in his stomach."

3. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Do you think he meant:

"Jozy is a lad I will see diving..." :roll:

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

MisfitKid. Diving is when you go down without any contact. Jozy does NOT do that.

What he does do is go down when 1. there is contact and 2. he feels he isn't likely to get around the defender. That's what makes him so difficult to play against - you have to play him physically or he'll brush you aside and score (see Spain, Confederations Cup) and if you do, he's intelligent enough to go down under the contact and draw a free kick. Keep in mind, this is the same player who drew yellow cards on the best defenders Chelsea and ManU had to offer; he's learning how to use his body effectively - he'd the antithesis of Crouch.

5. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Not be the cold, wet towel on this one, but we are talking about Iain Dowie's opinion here.

That said, if it gets Jozy more playing time,....

6. Jensers

Jensers New Member

The game has rules. Defenders bend them all the time to gain an advantage. A wise attacker does the same - all part of the game.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Really?
    I dont think so. That's just where you want to draw the line for discussion purposes.
    I consider it 'repeated dropping on incidental contact within the box'.
    In other words: Yeah but he's good at it. 'Embellish' v 'Dive'

What difference? How the ref will make the call -or 'no call'- after repeated occurrences.

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

'Fog. I agree with the distinguishment (is that a word?) between embellishment and diving and will concede that Jozy does do the former sometimes, though thankfully without theatrics.

9. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I've been reading the Hull message boards - by far, the most common comment about their game (right after "Get well Boatang" - he was knocked unconscious during the game, scary moment), was "Why wasn't Jozy starting!?!?"

He's definitely won over the Hull faithful which, considering he's only scored once in the league, says a lot. 100% of the fan-posted starting XIs for their next game included Jozy.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

WHAT AN ABSOLUTE IDIOT

Hutton suckered him into retaliating, and now he'll miss the rest of Hull's season. With Von Vinegar of Humperdinck injured, Jozy stood a good chance of getting 270 minutes prior to the WC.

The guy shows flashes of brilliance, but he has no discipline and little in the way of focus. Not long before his idiocy, the announcer was saying that Hull had agreed a transfer with Villareal -- IF they stayed up. Sigh.

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Haven't seen the head butt yet, but there is zero excuse. If a guy throws a ball at your head, turn to the ref, make sure he gets a yellow and give him a few choice words. Jozy got a foolish yellow a game or two ago by kicking a ball against a bordering wall after not getting his way on a call. While his game has improved (especially setting up teammates) his temper has gotten the best of him. Even with a win today Hull were a longshot of staying up, and it wasn't his fault Jimmy missed a pk.

12. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I just hope Jozy's next stop finds him paired with a better manager/learning situation. Given his youth, he might even benefit from a year (or 1/2) in the CCC to gain confidence and get his finishing down before attmepting to tackle the Prem.

13. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Just watched it... Yes - that was dumb.

14. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

dumb yes, but everything I read made it sound way worse than it actually was. Jozy is still a kid. And at least the US wont be losing him to injury for the WC. This could be a good thing heading into the WC. I trust that this is a lesson he will learn and we wont see him loose his cool in the WC. I dont really care about Hull - Jimmay should have made the PK anyway.

The ridiculous thing is Steve Bruce calling it Grevious Bodily Harm and claiming the incident left Hutton with a cut eye, smashed nose and chipped tooth. Now there is an idiot.

15. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Calmness. He's not an idiot. The game was very tense at the time and Hutton had just fouled him and then suckered him. Bullard is more at fault for Hull sucking than Jozy. Jozy was starting to dominate defenders up front and providing Hull with some hope. Their team is rubbish though. Bullard was atrocious yesterday.

Altidore knows he messed up. It was stupid. He's a young guy and things got hot. These things happen.

edit: and like Clevelandmo said... Hutton made a meal of it.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Like Konchesky at home against Derby County two seasons ago, like Dikgachoi @ West Ham this season, Jozy lost his discipline and cost his team points. He got suckered into a retaliation that any member of Fulham's youth side would have been smart enough to avoid.

With everything on the line, to react like that ... IS IDIOTIC.

17. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Jozy got the equalizing goal for The Yellow Submarine in the 79th minute against Beksitkas. I've seen one link that says it was a showcase for a permanent transfer to the Turkish powerhouse. Don't be surprised if he changes clubs during his brief visit to New Jersey this week.