Jozy Altidore

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryP, Jul 1, 2009.

1. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Jozy may be out this weekend; he may be travelling to Haiti to help look for relatives. Brown has given him permission to take time if he needs it.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

It is a complete disaster in Port Au Prince, as I'm sure you know. If you want to help:

MedWish International

http://www.medwish.org/

Hospital Albert Schweitzer (my personal choice as some close friends of mine are intimately involved with it)

http://www.hashaiti.org/

or of course the Red Cross

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

5. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Like the attack on the Togo national team, it's yet another reminder that this is just a game.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

pf note: In order to crosspost, I quoted this before I moved it, click here to go to Mo's original post

7. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Jozy was back in the lineup for Hull today and came away with an assist on Hull's first goal and drew a foul that led to a PK and Hull's second goal.

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Jozy had a GREAT game. He was a handful for the defense, drawing many fouls, half of which got "played on" because he didn't go down or lose the ball, despite the foul. Besides getting the assist on the goal (another of those "play on" situations) and being fouled for the penalty, he also made a nice break, with a defender on his back and made a very nice strike on goal that took everything Hahnemann had to stop it.

Even Skysports had some good things to say about him http://www.skysports.com/football/match ... 3,00.html#

9. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I watched the Hull City - Chelsea game yesterday.

First, I have to give credit where credit is due: Hull City, as a team, played a very very good game and deserved to win. They threatened the Chelsea goal on a regular basis and defended very well. The Chelsea goal in the 1-1 draw was off a flukey Drogba free kick.

Jozy had a solid game; not quite as effective as he was in the Wigan game, but it was against better opposition so that's to be expected. He was the direct cause for both John Terry (who got roundly booed every time he touched the ball) and Ivanovic getting yellow cards and was fouled in dangerous positions another 4-6 times. i.e., he was a bit of a handful, even for Terry and Carvalho. When Zaki came on for JVH (which is a big step in the right direction; always before Jozy was the one to come off), they linked up well and Jozy was able to create some potential assists for teammates (that either shanked it or hit it right at the keeper). Still, a solid 7 for the 'man child'.

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Some good comments by Brown:

The City boss was also pleased with the performance of striker Jozy Altidore. The 19-year-old is one of several youngsters in and around the first team at the moment and Brown is pleased with the way young talent is developing at the KC Stadium this season.

"Jozy is growing in confidence and growing in stature. You have to remember that he is 19-years-old and he's got a kid behind him in midfield (Tom Cairney).

"We've got a young kid on the sidelines waiting to come in, Mark Cullen, who's 17. We've also got Liam Cooper, who's been out injured for two or three months, waiting in the wings.

"The youth policy at the football club and the development of those players bodes well for the future.

"If Jozy can maintain his current form and keep that belief, a goal will come and I think it will be quickly followed by another."

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Hull and Citeh were on FSC this morning and Jozy scored his first Premiership goal. Very good build up w/his strike partner and well taken by Altidore. He was giving their backline headaches (drew 2 yellow cards, a free kick on the edge of the box, and damn near drew a pk). The kid was playing great, but unfortunately he picked up a knock and had to be subbed. Hope it's not serious, because he appears to be getting a handle on what the Prem is all about.

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Wow.. you mean we actually have a STRIKER in the Prem?!!!!! Or even overseas, for that matter.

For allus McB fans, he really WASNT all that! Remember his role before you come down on me.

Keep on keepin' on, Jozy.

13. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

it's been a rainy morning here, so i watched jozy's performance in the hull v. city match and he was great. easily, the best i'd seen him play in england and he looked the part of a man to lead the line. i agree with scj that his goal was top notch and i'm knocking on wood re his knack right now, boss...

14. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Congrats Jozy!!! Bang in a few more.

If only they didn't have the personification of excellence of a manager that they have :roll: .

15. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I thought Jozy might have been the most dominant I've EVER seen him. The key to Hull, however, was Boateng. What a monster of a day.

17. sullytex

sullytex Member

I watched MotD this morning and I think it went from Donovan/Howard, to Jozy, to Friedel. Either way, it was really nice to hear all those names featuring prominently on the show basically back to back. Jozy's goal was class. Don, that goal from Boateng was a freaking blast.

18. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Jozy came on as a sub for 10-man Hull on the 65th minute. Based on Zaki's performance and how dangerous Jozy looked the few times he got the ball, I don't think he'll start on the bench next game.

19. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

IAIN Dowie believes Jozy Altiodre has all the attributes to emerge as Hull City's attacking saviour in the relegation scrap.

The 20-year-old striker has struggled to stamp his mark on the Premier League during a season-long loan from Spanish side Villarreal, scoring just one goal in 23 appearances.

However, a return to the City line-up on Saturday saw Altidore terrorise Fulham and set the tone for a crucial 2-0 victory.

It is form Dowie believes could be the difference between survival and relegation for the Tigers.

"I have seen something in him," said Dowie.

"He has quality in his feet and is a handful and could be the player that keeps Hull up.

"He can run, he has power, a cool finisher, lovely feet and yeah, he put in a real good shift."

Altidore looks a certainty to retain his place when the Tigers head to Stoke City on Saturday, despite the expected availability of fellow striker Caleb Folan.

With Tony Pulis' side renowned for their unforgiving physical presence, Dowie will be tempted to utilise both in pursuit of victory.

But like the challenge issued to Folan after he starred at Portsmouth, the City boss wants to see Altidore fired up.

"Jozy is a lad I will be driving mad and getting at him to get an intensity in his training," added Dowie.

"He is a laid-back lad, that is not a criticism, we love him to death we just need to get a bit of devil in his stomach."

20. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

The biggest beneficiary to the Orange One's sacking could be the USMNT. Double bonus.