Jozy Altidore

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryP, Jul 1, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

According to SSN today, Jozy is in the UK and could feature this weekend.

However ...

also according to SSN, instead of training today, Phil the Idiot took "the lads" for a walk to Boothferry Park [their old ground] to give them "a better understanding of how far Hull have come." Yes, it's true. Once they were a joke; now their manager is an entire stand-up routine. I'm figuring that if Jozy only got into the UK on Thursday, and there was no training on Friday, the chances of seeing him on the pitch this weekend are somewhere between slim and none.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Really hoped he was going to stay in Spain. It's going to take for him to get acclimated to the English style of play. Just hope the kid can get settled in and start improving (and he better bust ass). Have to think if Hull struggles Phil will be shown the door and then what?? If Jozy doesn't impress right away the notion of him being lost in the shuffle is a distinct possibility.

3. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Jozy and the USMNT are in serious trouble if he gets lost in a group consisting of Craig Fagan, Richard Garcia, Caleb Folan, Daniel Cousin & Ryan Kendall.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The BEST thing that Jozy can learn at Hull is how to earn his time on the pitch by performing at the practice ground. He's never had to do it, and I believe it's what he needs. It certainly provided Dempsey with a whole new dimension to his game.

I'm glad he's in the middle of a bunch of established strikers. He has quickness and speed over all of them, and more potential, but -- given equal health all 'round -- he'd have to show me why I wouldn't run Cousin & Folan up front.

Let him fight for, and win, his place on the pitch. That experience will do him as much good as whatever he learns when he's actually out there.

By the way, the match previews I read indicate that he'll probably make the game-day squad. Nice introduction to the Prem: Hull v. Bolton [the beautiful game ... NOT!!!!!!!!!]

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If you're going to watch the Hull-Bolton match "live" on FSC, SPOILER ALERT

Jozy came on in the 60th minute and immediately set up the match's only goal. He almost scored the second. Nice debut!

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

In spite of Don's best efforts the spoiler alert didn't work. I scrolled too fast. :lol:

Ah well. Great job Jozy!! Now I am in the conflicted opinion of wanting Hull, my Newcastle of the new year, want to go away while Jozy is setting up their goals. Damn.

7. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thanks, LAX. Anybody else but me think it's weird that the next utube that popped up was an episode of "i Love Lucy?"

I figure to turn on the match and then fast forward to minute #60.

9. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Pretty cool to hear the U-S-A chant when Jozy came on, and even cooler that he sets up the winner with his first touch just :28 after coming on.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Jozy instant fan hit

From BS Crew MB:
    video

'www.jozy-altidore...' ???!!!!
    Gee why dont we just all meet over there?

Is that 'IP Honey..' OR 'I Phoney'
    heh.

11. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

RE: Jozy instant fan hit

I've gotta say, I may be a Fulham supporter, but I'm gonna also be a Hull City fan this year. Give that boy some playing time and some confidence and South Africa, watch out!

12. Jensers

Jensers New Member

RE: Jozy instant fan hit

He did look good. I have high hopes he will learn to stay active for a full 90 minutes. Hull play a high intensity style so hopefully that will transfer to him.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I prefer to think of Jozy's time in Hull City as his temporary stop in Purgatory, before he heads back to Yellow Submarine or plays in some other heavenly locale. The only way I could ever be a Hull City fan is if they played AC Milan and then only for the 90 minutes that took. I don't see that happening any time soon.

I hope Jozy has a great season, but I hope Hull are relegated by 12-15 points, and Phil Brown gets a gig on "I'm a Celebrity, but Nobody Can Remember Why."

14. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Hull is my Newcastle this year -- enough of Phil Brown and the incompetent football they play. I watched the Bolton game this weekend, 2 hrs I'll enever get back, except for Jozy. So, thanks for nothing Jozy, your success is presenting me with a dilemma.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I sympathize Steve. You won't see football as ugly as that for the rest of the season ... unless you watch the reverse fixture.

OTOH, Newcastle could very well be your Newcastle NEXT season. They're off to a very good start.

16. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Hey, I get one year at least of no hysterical Toon rants -- what more can I really ask for.

Let's see who stays for the long haul. Besides, it's Newcastle -- always expect something to go wrong.

17. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

And Jozy opens his Hull account with a 30 yd bomb in the Carling Cup. Nice start for our boy.

Related note: Have people noticed the love Jozy's (and soccer in general) been getting from Bill Simmons on espn.com? Having the most popular columnist at the most popular sports site on board with the EPL, the USMNT, and our brightest young star can't hurt the game's mainstream growth...

18. jmh

jmh New Member

Does that really count? I mean, it's the Carling Cup.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It depends, Josh. If you want to reinforce a positive opinion, it's a first-team competitive goal. If you want to reinforce a negative opinion, it's "Yeah, but it's only the Carling Cup."

20. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Jozy at Wolves on Saturday. The rest of the team can get lost, but here's hoping for a repeat from Jozy.