Josmer Altidore

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Jun 19, 2013.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Subjected myself to the first 15 and last 30 minutes :angry-banghead: of Sunderland's 1-0 FA Cup win v Kiddiminster (which is in the Conference aka the 5th tier of English football). Jozy in a word...dreadful. He had a chance in the first 45 seconds where an in form striker puts it away easily and he dang near whiffed it. His movement off the ball was that of a statue. The announcers obviously knew the broadcast was being shown here because they were crushing him. The crowd gave him a sarcastic cheer near the end of the match when he actually got his head on the ball. If Sunderland buys another striker, Jozy will find himself riding the pine. On a 'cause for concern scale of 1-10' for the USMNT team, with 10 being a full-blown crisis, I would say it's a 7.5 and the meter rising. Jurgen Klinnsman must be walking the sand in Manhatten Beach as I type this looking for a little tranquility after wanting to throw up watching Jozy play.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Thanks for the summary Joe. :shock: Perhaps Aggie was right and he should have stayed in the Netherlands.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The number of balls Jozy received today when he didn't have his back to goal = ZERO

The number of times Jozy passed to an opponent rather than to a teammate when Sunderland were attacking = ZERO

The number of times Jozy was the target of a pass when he was facing goal in an attacking position - ONE [a defender got a toe in before it got to him]

The number of set pieces delivered anywhere near Jozy = ZERO

This is all pretty normal for him at Sunderland. His job as the 1 in the 4-5-1 -- which they even played at home today v. non-league opponents -- is to receive and distribute. His job is not to play off the shoulder and drive for the goal. He does his job well, but I have to tell you that I've watched all but about 5 of Sunderland's matches this season, and I can't remember one where he had as many as two shots. Today was normal -- no chances, no shots, no turnovers, good work as a target man. I agree it's a worry that he's not scoring, but the worry is that he's not in a scheme where that's his job. Considering he's so big, strong, and agile, and considering that Sunderland loves to attack from the right wing, I'm amazed that he's not the guy they go for in the box, but that's been the decision for both their bosses this season. Evidently, he does NOT have an attitude about it and gets strong marks for attitude and endeavor by his teammates.

4. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

He looked a bit sloppy bringing balls under control and his distribution, while accurate, wasn't particularly effective. As you say, that's as much an indictment of the system, but to say he played well yesterday is a bit generous. He wasn't as bad as the announcers made him out to be either.

I agree on the concerns front though. He's not getting reps doing anything particularly useful or relevant to what we'll need from him in Brazil. And not scoring can't be good for his confidence.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I truly believe Jozy can play and score at the Premier League level, but I'm beginning to wonder if he believes it. I agree HD, he is big, strong, agile, and I would throw in he has pace, but none were on display against a Conference side. At times I thought he was marking the guys in purple and not trying to even find space.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9137043/

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Jozy had a very good match today, fought like a tiger and got an opponent sent off when he was pulled down while clear through. He even got a shot on goal -- a great save by Begovic kept him out. He left to a huge ovation when subbed off in the 70something minute.

Still, just the only shot and no plays developed for him.

Sunderland are above us now, and I think they'll stay above us for the rest of the season.

8. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I can't for the life of me understand why Sunderland persist in using him this way. Did they not see the goal rampage he went on for the USMNT this past summer? Still, as noted by many here, especially Sir Donald, he's performing admirably in the role they have him in. That bodes well for our Yanks this summer, because everything he does well adds to his, and our, arsenal in the round robin and, hopefully, beyond. I have no doubt that if he stays healthy, Monsieur Altidore is gonna give the Black Stars, the Germans and the Portuguese fits in Brah-ZEEL. If all Poyet can do is utilize him as a distributor, that's on him. Just keep him out there so Klinsi can use him properly to find the back of the net.

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Sunderland have signed Argentine striker Ignacio Scocco. If Josy gets to play alongside him rather than behind him on the bench, this might help create more chances for Jozy and get him back to his goal scoring ways. Apparently Scocco is fast and likes to take on players down the wings. Combine that with the handful that is Jozy Altidore and they both might benefit.
    http://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2014/january/striker-scocco-joins

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

[tweet]429198861018857472[/tweet]

Try to get him on the cheap....IF TRUE?

Edit: Rumors are Jozy to PSV on loan till end of season.

11. jumpkutz

OH! A beautiful backheel flick on leads to Sunderland's second goal against Newcastle. I think he's staying put!

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yeah, heck of a game from Altidore...wonder what the heck was up with the rumors at the last minute? Klinsmann mind games?

13. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Missed a golden opportunity to get around the keeper. He's got to do better with scoring goals. :oops:

14. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Now that's how you have a very good performance as a striker without registering a goal or an assist. My concern with Jozy when I've seen him previously with Sunderland was that he appeared very rooted to a spot high in the box and looked a bit clumsy at times. He looked rather agile and spry today though and his passing was a surprise. Would still like to see him hold one up, turn his man and fire home like he did v Terry.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Not even on the bench today … . Is he injured? I can see him not starting, but they are so weak up front, I can't believe he wouldn't be picked if fit.

16. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Via Greg Seltzer:

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

They have another match Tuesday. We'll see how that shakes out.

18. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well he was certainly mentioned a lot yesterday..

:)

19. jumpkutz

It seems pretty bloody obvious to anyone with a pulse and two working eyeballs that Sunderland has no friggin' clue about how best to utillize this young man's talents. It took a bit for him to get untracked, but he suddenly looks like the guy that went ape sh*t against Germany, Jamaica, Panama, Honduras and Bosnia last summer. Let's hope he gets back on that kind of roll for the next month in Bra-SEEL, and we make it out of the group and cause mayhem for the world's futbol powers in the knockout stage. Then let's hope those idiots at Sunderland have the good sense to either a) get him the damn ball like our lads seem capable of doing in dangerous spots or b) they send him along to someone who DOES know how to get him the damn ball in dangerous spots. DiCanio and Gus are fools for not making better use of this guy. And he's still ony 24 years old!

20. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Opened the scoring yesterday in Sunderland's Capital One Cup loss to Stoke City. He received the ball right about the 18 with his back to the net. Took a touch to turn and then rifled a shot into the lower corner at the far post. It looked like the play of a confident striker. Now if it will only get him some starts in league matches.