Josmer Altidore

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Jun 19, 2013.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

is on the verge of becoming a very rich young man. 31 goals in the last season, four goals in his last four internationals, and the young man looks fast, quick, strong, and focused. Come July 1, he's going to be a very popular person.

Good for him; he seems a decent lad.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Time to light a candle and :pray: he ends up in a good situation.

3. tim

tim Active Member

:text-+1: Yep. Ian and Taylor made the point at end of the match. Sadly, I think it's more likely this doesn't go well for him. Hope I'm wrong.

4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

+2

So, what would be a "good situation" for him? What would be not so good? And what would be the "best case scenario?"

Premier League? (if so, which club)?
    Bigger club in Holland?
    La Liga?
    Serie A?
    Bundesliga?

5. SoCalJoe

I wish I had the answer, but the criteria would include playing time, a stable manager (which is an almost impossible ask), and a system that fits his strengths.

Prem: I hope not. He was young and naive at Hull, and think he can succeed, but hope he goes elsewhere
    Holland: If he stays in Holland it will be for AZ, even Ajax couldn't match the transfer fee that Jozy will command.
    Serie A: a BIG hell no for me, is there a worse league for players of color than that one?
    La Liga: It's where he started, and now that he's matured maybe if he were put in the right situation.
    Bundesliga: Can't tell you which team would be a good fit, but I'm sure his national team coach has given him some advice. If I had to choose, this would be the league.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hull City, Cardiff, Crystal Palace, Southampton, Norwich, Swansea are all good choices -- he'd get plenty of pitch time and his game is suited to the Prem.

I think that La Liga and SerieA are always bad choices for an American -- Michael Bradley excluded -- and I'm afraid I just don't know enough about the style of play in the Bundesliga.

7. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I'm with SCJ and HD - no to Serie A unless he wants to antagonize those that will inevitably throw bananas and make ape noises towards him.

The Bundesliga (when I still had Gol TV last year and could watch it) and Prem are fairly similar in my opinion. Watch him end up back at Villareal after their promotion - that would be Fulhamish.

What about France?

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/06/alt ... prise.html

8. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Neither Italy nor Spain I think. Perhaps France but the idea of Swansea or the Bundlesliga is intriguing.

9. jumpkutz

I don't know much about the style of play in the Bundesliga either, but I'm sure you saw the same Champions League final that I did this year. It seemed adequate to me.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

And I really should have mentioned Aston Villa. It's pretty clear that they're going to make a buttload of cash selling Benteke. Jozy would thrive there with their emphasis on speed and youth.

11. SoCalJoe

Hadn't thought of France... The one key partner in all of this is AZ. For a club that size the profit they are about to make might lead Jozy in the wrong direction

12. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I thought about Villa but I am not convinced they are selling Benteke this sesaon but if they do Villa would be almost ideal I think.

13. SoCalJoe

I wonder if Benteke has one of those buyout clauses ala Moussa or Demba Ba had where Villa would have no choice to sell if the player wanted to go?

14. jumpkutz

I'd just as soon see him end up at the Cottage than Villa. That's a wash for me, Benteke's status notwithstanding. And we do like Americans, don't we? Is it beyond the realm of possibility, or could it happen?

15. tim

tim Active Member

Not sure how I feel about Jozy getting verbally abused by Berba (as just about every attacking player we have was at some point this year),,,,

Watching Italy-Brazil in the Confed Cup right now and Ian Darke reported the rumor that Sunderland is interested. Let' hope not.

16. SoCalJoe

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yup, now it's on Skysports

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... y-Altidore

18. SoCalJoe

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I still like how Fulham get linked to almost every American striker there is. Bet Hatter's pulse quickend a bit if he saw that little line how Fulham are interested in him as well. Since I haven't really seen mentioned elsewhere I will just chalk it up to lazy journalism.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think it's probably lazy journalism, Senator.

I've figured out how I'll handle the entire Yank in Fulham colors if it happens again. I've been boycotting the British sites since June 1, and if we sign a Yank, the only thing any of the Brit Fulham sites will see of me is the View From South Texas and the picking pool over on Friends of Fulham. Jozy? nah, the last thing he needs with his renewed confidence is Berbatov showing him up on the pitch every time he does something wrong.