Jol watch?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dcheather, Sep 27, 2013.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The worst possible thing happened in our best performance of the season at Palace; Khan in person, with the supporters having a great time, no way THAT team gets relegated. I sincerely hope the Chairman is paying careful attention because THIS team is going down, unless a change is made. Will the polaxing we are about to get at Anfield speed up the process?

2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Since no one is watching Jol, much to our dismay, the thread title got me thinking what another type of Jol watch might look like.

I'm thinking something big and clunky with no hands (since we have no movement) and only operates on Berba time.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

How about this. It has a big black hole in the center too.

[​IMG]

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Er, completely not true. We finished 9th in his first season. Won in Liverpool for the first time ever. Had a 20+ goal scorer.

Both in terms of PPG//Wins//GFA//GF our away record has actually been BETTER under Jol than it was under Roy; its actually the best in nearly a decade. And that includes last season.

Jol should go or fire his entire staff due to the present nadir and malaise, but he has not been the disaster the revisionists and their confirmation biases are projecting.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Er, completely true.

We finished 9th in his first season ... and finished 8th in the season before. THAT's the beginning of a downward trend, and we've finished lower in the league since. THAT's a continuation of a trend.

In the three seasons before Jol arrived, our scores at the Cottage v. Man United were 2-0, 3-0, and 2-2. We haven't been competitive in any match against them since.

Under Roy we scored very little but conceded even less. Under Hughes we gave up more goals but attacked more. Under Jol we shoot less and get shot at more than anyone at the moment -- last I checked. We are older, slower, less adventurous, and more dire to watch even then we were under Sanchez. With each transfer period, the people Jol brings in and those he sends away make us less and less attractive to watch, and less and less capable of competing in the Premier League. Certainly you've been paying attention and have seen this.

If anyone is indulging in revisionism, I submit it's the diminutive young gentleman from Baltimore.

6. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I'd rather not turn this into a wizzz contest, but, yes, I have been noticing the crap displayed this season and the end of last.

Wait, check that, recently I haven't. The club has been so bad that I've actually found myself opting for other, more worthwhile things, than watching this club play. And I have zero intention on watching Saturday's game. Feel free to take my "fan card" but if that isn't an indictment to my feelings about what should be Jol's employment status, then I don't know what is.

But to argue he's been a pox on our house since Day 1 is simply not true. And to say he has been is revisionism. We scored 50 goals last season; the most since Louis Saha was our #9. Look at our away form under Jol, something you didn't respond to. Look at how his winning% is actually higher than Sparkys, and 20%pts higher than Sanchez. His is slightly less than Coleman but I would argue, and not spin, that although just 7-10 years ago, Cookie managed during an entirely different EPL era.

7. Clevelandmo

Plummeting down the Fair Play table too. Last time I saw an up-to-date table we were 14th. Given Sasha's recent antics, I wouldnt be surprised if we're down to 20th. We used to regularly be at the top of this table. You can say that it means nothing but the scores do consider positive play and tactics.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Re: Jol: "I felt lonely"

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... peculation

Martin Jol has dismissed concerns before Fulham's game at Liverpool on Saturday that his job is under threat, despite speculation that he could become the next Premier League manager to be sacked this season.

Jol and his side were booed by a large section of their support last weekend during Fulham's 3-1 defeat by Manchester United and although they secured successive victories against Stoke and Crystal Palace last month, a defeat at Anfield will mean they slip into the bottom three if Norwich City win at home to West Ham.

The Norwich manager, Chris Hughton, has also come in for criticism from his own fans but Jol, who claimed he felt "lonely" during the match against United, remains confident that Fulham are better than a number of sides in the Premier League.

"People asked me how I felt when we conceded three goals in the first half [against United] and I was more cynical, with a sense of humour, and said I was very lonely. No, I am quite happy here but in that 15 minutes I felt lonely.

"You always feel better after wins than after defeats, especially when you are a bit proud and I think all the managers at that level are proud.

"That is why they are so ambitious and they work hard, because of their pride. I have to cope with it, I can understand.

"I'm positive, not because I'm a positive character but I remain positive because we are good enough to get results against the teams who are probably as good as us and maybe a little bit better and a little bit worse. There will always be four or five teams not as good as we are and that is what I really believe. That is why I am positive."

Jol revealed that the defender Sascha Riether was disciplined internally as well as receiving a three-match ban from the Football Association for his stamp on United's Adnan Januzaj. He said that Hugo Rodallega will be out for five to six weeks with a groin injury but that Brede Hangeland is in contention to play at Liverpool.

"I don't think you are under pressure against Liverpool or Man United," he said. "You are under pressure in your home games against the teams who should lose points against us. Before Crystal Palace, we really felt some pressure, not because of me but because of the result.

"I think it [pressure] is one of the parts of our profession, I always admire people for that. I look at my mate Chris Hughton or in the past with [Roberto] Martínez at Wigan – I couldn't believe he was always calm or cool.

"We need a few surprise results and maybe we can start against Liverpool."

9. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Surprise result? The surprise would be if we get another result before he's sacked. Because we're not Real Madrid, ya' know.

10. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say we need a few surprise results (though they would help). I say we need expected results. Expected, like hanging on for the last five minutes of the match instead of conceding goals to Newcastle, West Brom, and Cardiff costing us five points. With those five points, we'd be ninth in the table.

11. BillNRoc

BillNRoc Member

And if Grandma had wheels, she could be a wagon. The team ship late goals because they're old, slow and poorly coached, the same reason they concede 3 in 20 minutes to ManU and again today to 'Pool. With Norwich getting a result at home today, you have to figure Jol will move to the top of the 'next manager to be fired' table.

12. RDG

RDG Member

Wait! What?? Jol is still our manager?!?

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

If there is a time for the Daily Mail to be right, please let it be this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -loom.html

Umm...what's going on in the last two photos?

14. BillNRoc

BillNRoc Member

Just some Ajax 'old boys' living large.

15. BillNRoc

BillNRoc Member

Did folks see Sunderland step it up today at home vs. Man City? Poyet seems to be making headway with that lot. Sure, they were under severe pressure the last quarter of the game, but they did not concede.

Have Fulham shown anywhere near as much discipline and grit in any home game this season? Sadly, no. Please, Mr. Khan, rid us of the potato-headed Dutch doofus before the next match.

16. Clevelandmo

LOL. Our long Fulham nightmare continues.

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress ... 1/11/ha-3/

From the Mirror though.

18. Clevelandmo

Hopefully it's true because word has it Jol has also contracted the worst of the Scouser diseases - Suarezamororrhea
    [​IMG]

19. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Seems the Russians had an easier time getting rid of Rasputin than we're going to have getting rid of Jol. I'm very disappointed to see he's still in charge today. There are a few rumors out there that his departure may still be in play, so hopefully owing to the additional time afforded from the int'l break and the logistics involved, Venky Khan may still remove Jol from his post. However, I think he's going to be given 2-3 more matches to turn it around. That is a mistake, imo.

Dissecting Jol's comments and having a go at them is a bit too easy really. Either Jol is an imbecile (which I don't think is the case), he's hopelessly deluded or there's something lost in translation from his brain-to English-to his tongue. Whatever the case, the attitude in his comments has been reflected on the pitch far too often for my liking. It's these most recent gems that really stood out to me this week.

He's setting up an expectation that failure is ok and it shows on the pitch. We've rolled over far too early and far too easily in these matches...and it's carried over into other matches against the "teams that are not better than us." That's the thing with quitting, once you do it, it gets easier and easier to do so. The "have to suffer" comments just piss me off. One of the big draws of Fulham to me was that we always fought and were tough to beat, especially at home, and that made us fun to watch. There was always a chance going into every match. The effort displayed against Soton, ManU, Liverpool and far too many other matches in the past year or so is embarrassing and unacceptable.

I have no idea why Khan/Mackintosh/the Board feel they need more time to evaluate Jol. They can only be looking at results, imo, b/c that is the only justification I can see. I just wonder if they realize the peril in doing so. They've passed the threat of just relegation. They're at risk of losing customers.

20. tim

tim Active Member

You've hit the nail on the head, for me. Under Roy and even Sparky, at least at home, we were competitive regardless of who we were playing. Jol is conceding every match played against a top side. Oh, we're playing Liverpool this week? Well we won't win that, so we don't need to try. Oh well. As you say, the problem with a defeatist attitude is you can't just shake it when Sunderland comes around, or Stoke, or whomever. If you go into matches not thinking you're good enough, then pretty soon that becomes self-fulfiling. I understand that all managers outside of the top 5 or 6 have to be realistic, but Jol's taken it to another level altogether. He's not a realist, he's a fatalist.