Jimmy Bullard's Injury: Out 9 months!

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoTom, Sep 12, 2006.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Rumours are now starting to spread that Jimmy Bullard's knee injury is worse than originally stated by the club.

While it is true that Bullard did suffer a dislocated kneecap, the club was not able to do an MRI until yesterday. For those who are not familiar with medical procedures surrounding knee injuries, an MRI is done to check for ligament, cartilage and tendon damage in the knee.

The scan that was done at the Newcastle hospital could only reveal whether a bone was broke or not. That being said, Bullard does NOT have any broken bones.

I did find it a bit odd that the club would come out on Saturday and Sunday saying he would be back in 6-8 weeks without having an MRI done on the knee.

Looking at the play Bullard was injured from the first thing I said to my wife was that he was done for the year and that he tore at least the ACL and possibly the MCL and PCL as well. The way the knee bent looked to be a ligament injury.

Hopefully I am wrong, but the point of this thread is to let everyone know that Jimmy may be out longer than the six to eight weeks that was originally being reported.

2. Jux

Jux New Member

RE: Jimmy Bullard

I agree Tom. I would be shocked if he came back in 6 to 8 weeks. Of course, the only view I saw was on the YouTube post.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

4. DCDave

DCDave Member

Out nine months with a cruciate ligament injury! Arrrgh!

5. Yo_Adrian

Yo_Adrian New Member

I was watching the game when it happened, the injury of course looked very serious.. but then just this morning I read that he was looking forward to coming back in Nov. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 32&cc=5901

and now I see a prediction of 9 months from the same source, terrible.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Not good my friends. Not good at all. If anyone thought we were in trouble this season, here is more fuel for that fire.

Now we are counting on Claus Jensen, Simon Elliott, Papa Bouba Diop and Michael Brown in the center of the park. I am confident that these players will do okay. However, I am NOT confident that they will remain injury-free.

This is going to be a problem people. I am getting really nervous about this season.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

gutted indeed.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

The boys did show us this past weekend that they can soldier on. For how long and at what level remains to be seen.

Some positives: our defense looks much better, only four matches in; our forwards look to be getting more involved; and we have the January transfer period to make something happen. Boa Morte MUST step up.

One thing for sure, the Routledge loan deal is looking key.

9. martin

martin New Member

That is bad news. On the positive side, these knee ligament injuries are commonplace in sports and the damage can be fixed. It just takes a long time to rehab.

We need a lot of players to step up. Whether that means playing hurt, playing out of position, or playing when you need a break, everybody has to do it. I expect JB will be the team's biggest supporter while he is out of action.

Management also needs to step up. Bring in some new faces in January if it looks like we are struggling. Spend whatever it takes to keep us up.

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

11. jmh

jmh New Member

Crap.

12. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

This is crushing. I'd gladly take another 5-1 defeat if it meant we could get Jimmy back now. Our best player out for the year, thats brutal.

13. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I said the same thing a few min ago. No win is worth losing one of our best players. :cry:

I just really hope everyone in the midfield picks up the pace and matches what Jimmy put in.

14. bri237

bri237 New Member

I with about everyone else picking up the slack. Its a huge loss.

15. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

We're FUC$ED.

16. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Noooo! This is terrible news!

I hope Jimmy gets healthy properly. Get well soon!

It's time for the Fulham midfield to step up.

17. BC

BC New Member

Like all of you, I'm crushed by JB's injury.

However, don't let it totally discourage you. We still have a good team and we finished 12th last year without Bullard.

We'll be okay. It's just going to be tough.

18. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

I'd say staying up is our goal for the season now :( .

19. rumstove

rumstove New Member

No doubt JB's injury is a big setback, but all hope is not lost. Against Newcastle Fulham scored 2 goals without Bullard, even if Shay Given says the goals Newcastle conceded "would have embarrassed a Sunday league side." (The Times) Anyways, Fulham's defense is still in one piece and slowly getting better, and the team is capable of getting goals...maybe not as many now without JB, but hopefully enough. :|

20. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

Any prospects for a future replacement for Bullard, should this be an even longer-term injury and recovery? Any names out there who might be targets?

On a somewhat related note, now that Chelsea paid out 5 million plus Gallas for Cole, any prosepcts at all for a future return of Wayne Bridge to the Cottage?