Jewell resigns Derby post

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FulhamAg, Dec 29, 2008.

1. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, except for this: Davies didn't do anything wrong. There was no reason for him to be fired. Derby was promoted a good season or two before they were financially ready for it. The board had no money to give him to make his squad competitive. As an example, his lead striker at the beginning of last season -- ex-Hatter Steve Howard -- is now leading the line at League 1 Leicester City. It was extreme bad faith to fire him. It was the board covering their assess in front of their new American investors.

Jewell is a cut-rate Kevin Keegan -- taking on a job, revving up the fans, changing everything about the squad and the team, and then quitting a year or less later.

3. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Perhaps Coleman was a poor analogy, however I've heard many who thought given the $$ Sanchez had to spend, he'd have done a good job. I wasn't following the club at that point just yet...so probably should have picked a better one. Thanks for the clarification.

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I dunno about the Keegan connection. I'm thinking more Pardew with Charlton. Go back 18 months ago and look at the rosters then compared to now. Its like new teams.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

timmy, pardew gets fired; jewell quits

Matt, you are correct about him not getting the dosh that MAF gave Sanchez. I think I must have read your analogy incompletely.

6. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Pardew left by "mutual consent." That normally means fired or sacked, but I read into it that he left on his own accord (with a kick in the bum).

Curbishley then?

7. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Billy Davies is a good manager actually. Don is right about him. He had no chance whatsoever to succeed last season at Derby. He's the Scottish Aidy Boothroyd, kind of.

Paul Jewell is a good manager and he did a great job at Wigan and at Bradford before that... however, ever since he filmed himself having sex with someone other than his wife, he's not been the same dude in work or in life in my eyes.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

eeeeew. Must have been shown only on wide-screen television sets.

9. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Speaking of Boothroyd, he's available too. Forest just hired Davies, so let the managerial musical chairs continue.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yeah, Billy is following the Brian Clough trail ... Derby to Forest. Seems to me, though, that Cloughie got into Europe with both those clubs. We'll see about Davies.

Regarding Boothroyd, I'd like to see him get another chance. I thought a lot of him.

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Same here, but I go back and forth on AB. There's no denying he is a great man manager, but watching Watford play that long ball style when they were in the Prem was like guaranteeing they would be one-year-and-done.

I guess the biggest thing in his favor, for me, is that the Cheesehead seems to by and large think highly of him, even if they had a professional rough patch, and that's good enough for me.

Happy new year all.

12. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Anybody who can get Watford to the Premier League can't be that bad. I don't particularly like his style of football, but I think he's an effective manager.