Jerry Sloan -- 1,000 wins

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by omsdogg, Dec 12, 2006.

1. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Was in attendance last night as the Jazz slapped the Mavs silly to earn Sloan win number 1,000. Only 4 other coaches have achieved that. My hat's off to Jerry for the job he has done w/ this young Jazz team. They look pretty good at times. Keep it rollin'

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Cograts, but...

OT: when is that club gonna give the name "Jazz" back to New Orleans?

Imagine this:

Minnesota Senators
    Baltimore Browns
    Washington Expos

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

While on the topic of coaching milestones, congrats to Don Nelson for winning his 1200th game on Saturday night. As an avid supporter and fan of the NBA I wonder if Nelson, Sloan and the all-time wins leader Lenny Wilkens are all great coaches or is it just longevity?

I think Sloan and Nelson are good coaches, but Wilkens I think is a longevity thing. However, neither Sloan nor Nelson have won a title. Sloan came close in the late 90's, but outside a few decent playoff runs with the Mavs, Nellie has not even come close.

Remember the old adage "Defense Wins Championships".....I think Nellie did not get the memo on that one. After watching my Warriors I am convinced that myself, omsdogg, American Mike, FFCinPCB and Rumstove could be more resistance to opposing teams than the Warriors currently are.

Although, their zone d was good against your Jazz a week and a half ago.

4. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i don't know Petty...i tend to stay out of the political side of sports. ;-)

5. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Re: RE: Jerry Sloan -- 1,000 wins

yes it was. now you need your Warriors to show some consistency with that D, as in bring it "every" night. that's the one thing i don't like about the NBA....the lack of effort and passion on a game by game basis. Of course, if i were "guaranteed" of making a couple mil a year whether i try or not, i wouldn't be so quick to criticize.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Note to Petty: Yeah, what about "Los Angeles Lakers?" There's a dumb one. And, as a resident of Maryland in the early 80s, I'm still inclined to refer to Indianapolis as "the kidnap victims."

Note to ChiTom: Nellie is a great coach; Sloan is a great coach; Lenny Wilkins is also a great coach. It's tough for younger NBA fans to remember how good Wilkins was in his younger days before he got stuck with the Hawks for so many years. It's similarly tough to remember how lost and confused Nellie was for the first 10 or so years he coached. Lennie had it early; Nellie got it late; Sloan has always been a great coach. We SASpurs fans have booed him but respected the stone-faced $#%#^ for a long time.

Congrats "Smiley."

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Note to Don.. so you WERENT a resident of BAl'mer area in the late nineties thus didnt have to pray that City and residenets of Cleveland didnt have nukes... I see.

There ya go... call the SL team the Lakers, get a new name for LA... like the 'Cobi's' or 'Surfers' or Moguls

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am not saying Nellie is not a good coach, but the bottom line is that he has not lead a team to a title. Watching him first hand with the Warriors night in and night out, I think he has a great offensive mind. However, he must realize that the main problem facing this young Warriors team is defense.

I have heard from the choir of preachers that I should not be expecting a Nellie-lead team to spend much time on defense and that to me is the sign of a coach who does not see the big picture.

Don, as you see in San Antonio each May and June, defense wins championships. Popps preaches defense and his team play as strong of team defense in the whole league. There is a reason they are in the thick of things come the end of the season and it is not just Tim Duncan.

In other words, good coaches must adapt their own personal preferences and styles to make a given team in a season become a better group to ultimately win games.

I do not expect Nellie to make this a methodical, half-court, slow it down team, but I would like to see him teach some fundamentally sound team defense but if this team had a clue on the defensive end of the floor, this team would probably be something like 14-8 rather than 10-11. They have lost all five games decided by less than 5 points because they can't get stops. It is that simple.