Jerry Ford: A different view..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Dec 28, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

DU: Stop trying to tell me Gerald Ford was a good, decent man.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Guess he didn't care for Ford's choice of footwear, either!

If this is the standard level of political discourse in the "Blogosphere" these days, then you, Mr. Fog, are to be commended for your LACK of vituperation and rant, and for the fact that your vocabulary of non-swear words reaches well into the triple figures.

3. Tony_USA

Tony_USA New Member

.. How come it's always the "Liberal Media" when someone wants to claim that lies are about to be written?

I keep hearing the right-wingers shout about how the "liberal media' are telling lies about Bush, about the war, about the next UFO landing, about everything they say when criticizing ther GoP, now we have them accused of re-writing history because they might actually praise a Republican President.
    Give me strength, please.

ALL the bloody media will praise him. NOT just the "liberal" media, ALL the US Media will. Why? Because they are the US Media, patriotism and all that stuff. It happens all the time in the US. To make any attempt to claim just the "Liberal" media will LIE about this country is either naive or just plain partisan politics at it's worse.

If anything, the so-called Liberal media are the ones that tend to print un-patriotic items more than the right-wing media do. I listen to both wowo and NPR, and I can honestly say that the way the 'news' is reported on wowo is shameful, and then to have the jingle .. "we report - you decide" is just throwing insults into the fray. How can anyone make an informed decision when a very slanted story is presented as true. True the facts may be, but wihtou the 'other' facts presented, it all means nothing at all.

So, when I hear someone mention the "liberal Media" it just tells me that they are playing partisan politics with a subject that has no such bearing.

From my point of view, I am attempting to find a President that has not been caught up in controversy, corruption or lying to the American People, it is a quest that has, thus far, proved illusive. Any Ideas anyone???

4. pettyfog

Yeah... Ford.

Despite what that guy said or implied, there WAS no 'deal.

Also, I'd like him to explain to me exactly what Nixon did that was EVIL... besides not immediately cutting and running in '69.. oh, and watergate, of course. Wonder what he'd say if I dropped a Bio of LBJ or Mayor Daley the elder or Boss Tweed in front of him... or maybe the Reps arent allowed to have insecure little men as President.

Wonder how he'd react if I listed all the domestic programs that went through on Nixon's watch... after all most conservatives label Nixon the best democrat the Republicans ever elected to office.

And THEN he blames Ford for Cheney and Rumsfeld.. as if Ford were mentoring them.

It's noteworthy that I heard two local radio guys who generally spout the conservative view, ask callers to try to come up with something that Ford actually DID other than pardoning Nixon. Seems the only thing they could come up with was he tried to get a handle on the double digit inflation of the time.. with dubious results.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

"Stop picking on the President. He's done good for somebody nobody ever voted for." -- Archie Bunker, All In the Family

6. DCDave

DCDave Member

Why Ford is being praised so much right now:

1) We do that for people who just died. It's not just Ford; heck, even the articles about Richard Nixon right after he died were generally laudatory.

2) His record of bipartisanship is in stark contrast to the current atmosphere that all sides have poisoned so bad, and I think as a country we miss that right now.

I didn't bother reading the whole piece by that DU guy (just the Pettyfog excerpts) but he is clearly so far in the minority. The tone of his piece is what I was referring to in #2 above. A person can disagree with the pardon of Nixon without being mean about it.

7. DCDave

DCDave Member

Re: RE: Jerry Ford: A different view..

Very good point, Pettyfog. I find it fascinating that Nixon, whom liberals hated with a passion, actually implemented many policies they like, and Clinton, who was hated by conservatives, actually implemented some more conservative ideas like welfare reform.

8. pettyfog

Excellent.... one of the local guys found that too!

PS... I should make you giuys read the COMMENTS on that piece... make him look middle of the road and me look like John MCain